What's new
World Wide Stereo

Which HD TV should I buy. Here's my situation... (1 Viewer)

vwalk

Auditioning
Real Name
vince walkhouski
I need a HDTV for my home theatre. My seating is about 17 feet from the wall where the t.v. will be located. Right now, I’m leaning toward a plasma, but am open to the idea of an LCD.

Question 1: I’m concerned that a 50 inch is too small for the room. What’s the minimum recommended size, which brings me to question 2. #2. My budget is $3500. What’s the best t.v. for my situation?

Thanks!

Vince

728x90

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
At 17 feet, I agree that a front projector is the right option. How dark is the room?

These days you can get a 1080p projector in that price range. But unless the room is fairly dark, it won't work well.

For comparison, I sit 9 feet from a 65" set and for me that's just about right. It depends what you and your family like, though.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Ditto for the projector. With a huge screen. 17' is too far away for even the largest of DLP's. I sit 8 feet from a 65" 1080p and it is just right for me. The recommended screen size for 1080p at 17' is a whopping 152", which is probably not possible.

Remember, a home theater tries to replicate the theater experience. There is no way to get a theater-like field of view sitting 17' feet from the screen in most rooms. If you can't go projector because of light control, consider moving the seating closer (by about 1/2) and then putting in another row of seats on a riser to have "stadium" seating.

Craig

Second Unit
OneCall had a 58" Panasonic plasma, the TH-58PZ700U, for $3739, which is pretty close to your price point. Samsung also has a 58" plasma that sells for under $4K (streetprice). I'd agree that a 50" set is a little small for a home theater setup with your viewing distance. I have a 50" Panasonic in my family room that we use for general TV viewing from about 13 feet away, and it's fine for that purpose. However, with a dedicated home theater setup bigger is better.

Both plasmas and LCDs go up pretty steeply in price once you get above he 50"-52" range. You'd get more bang for your buck by going with an RPTV, but if you really want a flat panel, then one of the 58" plasmas would probably be your best bet. Personally, I'd opt for a 65" RPTV if had a large room like yours.

vwalk

Auditioning
Real Name
vince walkhouski
I have a ton of windows, so I don't think the projector is an option. I'm leaning toward the Panny 58PZ700U or the Pioneer 6070HD. Any thoughts on these tvs? Are they comparable in performance? The Pioneer is about $800 less than the Panny, which makes me wonder if the Panny is that much superior. Also, Panny makes the 58PZ7508 which has "pro-set", a one button calibration feature. The 750 costs about $500 more than the 700. I don't know if it's worth it.

Again, thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The Panasonic 58PZ700U is a 1080p plasma set, its resolution is 1920x1080, while the Pioneer 6070HD is a 720p plasma set, its resolution is 1366x768, this is why the Panasonic model cost more, even though it's 2" less (diagonal measurement) than the Pioneer set.

vwalk

Auditioning
Real Name
vince walkhouski
Sorry. I should have been able to figure that out. I guess it's down to the Panny. Anyone have an opinion on paying the extra $500 for the "pro-setting" on the 58PZ750U?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Any reason you're not considering DLP? You could pick up a Samsung or Mitsubishi DLP set between 61" and 73" and stay under $4000. The Panny is a great set, but given your seating distance and number of windows I would be going for the biggest set and I could and I would be worried about glare off the glass on a plasma.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
What does the room look like? Is there a way to rearrange it so the seats aren't so far away?

At 17', I doubt that anyone could even tell the difference between 1080p and 720p on a 50" screen.

Considering the viewing distance and the light in the room, I think a 72" DLP or LCoS set would be your best bet (in a landslide).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks