What's new

Which First (1 Viewer)

Currently, I have some unknown model number Home Theater in a Box Sony reciever (rated at 100x5 :rolleyes:) powering a pair of Sony towers, Sony Centre, and two Sony Bookshelf speakers. This is when I thought all Sony stuff was the shiznit. Well I will be upgrading everything soon. Speaker will be either Wharfedale diamond 8s or 9s and reciever is going to be Denon AVR 2105. I can get the 2105 for $499 from an authorized dealer. The question is now. Which to do first? Any Ideas

**I'm not sure if this is the right place to post feel free to move it**

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd start with the receiver. Speakers make a bigger difference, but handycapping decent speakers with a lousy receiver is a waste of time, while running your current speakers with a better receiver will at least be an improvement.

Christian M

Agent
Receiver sounds like your best bet. Like john said, speakers will make a bigger improvement but updating the source of sound output will also make a big difference

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Good advice from John and Daniel. The only snafu you might run into is if the speakers have some kind of proprietary connectors on them. You’ll have to cut them off to connect to a regular receiver, which will ruin any chances of selling the old system.

Another potential problem, albeit a small one, is that the sub with the Sony is probably not self-powered (most HTIB’s like this have the sub powered by the front end unit). Most people get around this by sending the receiver’s sub output to an input on the HTIB, and letting it act as the amp for the sub.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

David Judah

Screenwriter
I would actually buy the speakers first if the Sony receiver is a stand alone unit(as many are that are not Dream Systems). If it's the kind of system I'm thinking of, the receiver is similiar to ones in their $200-250 range and should provide adequate power.

The weak link in those systems are the speakers, and while you will want to upgrade everything eventually, new speakers will give you the greatest single improvement.

Good luck,

DJ

Wayne, I already have a new sub, that is a custom set up. It has a 250 watt amp from parts express w/a Memphis M'Class 12" sub. The speakers are not the same speakers that came with the reciever, they are aftermarket Sony's that i am not at all happy with. The only part left from the HTIB is the reciever.

Thanks all

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
When I upgraded (4 years ago) I went with receiver first because I was able to pick it up from Best Buy Harman Kardon AVR 500. I was waiting for the speakers Platinum Audio to come via mail. Well I have to say, the HK was miles ahead of the Kenwood AVR206 receiver I was using and with the cheapo speakers I had, Jensens for fronts, Acoustic Design as a center channel and Sony bookshelf speakers sf 50 something and the HK bought out sounds from these speakers I never heard with the Kenwood connected. So I would go with the receiver first and when it all comes together, fasten your seatbelt because it will a world of difference from what you already have.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Though the speakers are typically the weakest link, none of Sony's lower line of receivers are all that impressive and that would be the second weakest link in their HTiBs. I bought some Paradigm Mini Monitors and found that my Sony 815 receiver just didn't make them sound as good as they did in the store. When I bought a new receiver, a Marantz 6200, it was like a night and day difference with those same speakers. The only Sony receivers I've heard in the last few years that I thought sounded good were the 3ES/4ES/5ES.

Even with the additional info, I'd still have to say the receiver is the way to go, though expect that the largest improvement may not come until you get the new speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks