What's new

Which entry-level DVD players should a newbie avoid? (1 Viewer)

Tom Lowden

Agent
I'm sending a friend of mine to Best Buy with my preferred customer coupon this weekend because she's going to buy a DVD player. I have had my Toshiba 3108 for a few years now, and so I've been totally out of the loop on the current players. She asked me which kind to avoid and I thought some of you may have some advice I can pass on to her. Is there a certain brand (that Best Buy carries) that she should avoid? Any particular model?
Thanks!

Pete B.

Stunt Coordinator
Tell your friend to make sure it is a progressive DVD player. Their not much more money than non-progressive players and even if she doesn't have a progressive display device (HDTV, projector, etc.) the player won't be obselete if she finally does upgrade. Highly recommend either the Panasonic RP56 or Toshiba 3750 ($200)! Stay away from the entry level Pioneer players with their so-called progressive capabilities.
Pete

Charles Guajardo

Stunt Coordinator
I found the JVC-S65GD open box at Best Buy for $130.
Even though I don't have a progressive scan capable display, I felt it was too good to pass up. I wouldn' get the Apex, Oritron, or any other non mainstream player. Toshiba, Pioneer, Sony, and Panasonic all make entry level players that look and sound great for not that much more money. The audio and video qualities are all pretty much the same between these companies. The differences really come out in what they can or can't play--MP3, VCD, CD-R, CD-RW's, for example.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I guess it's more of a lower-mid-level player these days, but it's a pretty good deal for the features:
It's $349 retail but I believe that BB sells it for $299.00
Here are the specs since the Sony site is a friggin' disaster of navigation.
--
Progressive scan 480P output Delivers beautiful, film-like performance with the latest High-ScanTM and other HD compatible televisions
Full 3-2 reverse conversion The most accurate way to display a film originated DVD, faithfully reproducing the the films frame structure within a video source.
12-bit, 54 Mhz digital to analog converter for 480P output Delivers smoother gradation for more realistic recreation of DVD video
Block Noise Reduction This features helps reduce and remove unwanted "blocks" of information which occur as a result of fast motion and small detail in an image.
Dolby Digital and DTS digital output Connects to a receiver with Dolby Digital and/or DTS built-in
Precision Drive 2 system Providing an improved mechanism for reading DVD discs that are in less than perfect condition, Precision Drive 2 improves over last years Precision Drive to further eliminate errors in playback due to imperfect, scratched or warped DVD discs.
Plays CD-R/RW discs Now you can enjoy the versatility of listening to recorded material from CD-R/RW discs, as well as standard CD's and DVD movies.
Digital Video Enhancer Improves crisp contrast and picture detail, while controlling unwanted artifacts.
Digital Video Equalization Factory preset anad user adjustable settings to optimize picture quality digitally, within the DVD player
SmoothScan and SmoothSlow modes Give you the cleanest playback of DVD in slow motion and scan speeds.
10 bit Video DAC with 27Mhz processing Assures accurate recreation of video with smooth gradations of color and contrast, making a more lifelike picture.
Component Video Output Spearates the vital color components of a video signal, combining them again only when the signal has reached the television. For clear, sharp, and colorful playback of DVD movies.
TV Virtual Surround System that generates the effect of Surround Sound speakers, even when you're limited to the stereo speakers inside your TV.
CD Text and DVD Text Compatible CD's will display song titles, artist name and disc titles. DVD text equipped discs will display titles, a jacket picture and other information.
Custom Parental Control "Locks" mature-content discs with a four digit code, even if the discs don't carry and MPAA rating.
Picture Navigation With Bookmark, Picture Memory, and Strobe playback. Makes it easy to access your discs and all of their features
Sound Feedback Feature that gives you a confirmation "beep" when a button is pressed
Multi-brand remote control In addition to Sony televisions, these remote controlsalso operate other brands of television and the volume control for 8 brands of A/V Receiver.
Video Horizontal Resolution, DVD > 500 TV Lines
Audio Frequency Response (DVD, 96 kHz PCM) 2-44,000Hz, ±0.5 dB
Audio Signal-to-Noise Ratio (DVD, 96 kHz PCM) >110dB
Audio Dynamic Range, DVD >110dB
Harmonic Distortion

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
I was at Best Buy today using my 10% discount. Ended up buying the Toshiba 3750 for $180. This is actually my bedroom DVD player and even though it's not connected to a progressive scan TV, the price was too good to pass up. I actually have some MP3s and CD-R's so it's nice to have the compatibility.
Who knows, it might inspire me to buy a progressive scan TV down the road.
drool.gif

[Edited last by Greg Thomas on November 09, 2001 at 05:51 PM]

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Is it just me, Shawn C, or is there really no way of telling which Sony model you are describing above? Please add this info so I won't have to go to the Sony site, which, I agree, is a nightmare of poor design.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i was wondering that myself, LarryH. :)
well i'd say either a nice Toshiba or Panny RP56 (RV31 is the non-progressive, but i agree to step up now while it's cheap).
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Paul Fa

Stunt Coordinator
If you don't have a progressive scan(scam)display or don't wan't to purchase one in the immediate future, the Toshiba D2700/2705 will do very well - plays multiple formats, has good to great sound and video for its price - D2705 5 disk changer = 189.99 at Best Buy.

Tom Lowden

Agent
She doesn't show any interest in upgrading her TV, but who knows. I did let her know that having progressive scan certainly wouldn't hurt, and that she should try to get one that is MP3 compatible.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Oops...My bad on not including the model number of the DVD player I was describing...
DVD-NS700P was the player I was describing.

J

John Morris

Awww, just get A DVD player! Hook that sucker up and Enjoy the movies! The lower the expectations of a former VHS user... the better.
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

Tom Lowden

Agent
Well,
Success! She got a progressive scan player and she actually said that she thought the HDTV's were "really cool!" She said that's the next thing she'll get. She still hasn't told me which player she ended up getting, but I'm just glad she has one now, too. Thanks for your help, everyone!

Adrian Hansen

Auditioning
though i am wounded you didnt send her to ultimate electronics, i will tell you the sony dvpns 700p is the best dvd player at the price of 299. especially if she plans to rent dvds alot. i bought a sony specifically for this. it has circuitry that tilts the disc and the lens mechanism to get a read on the disc from a different angle if a flaw on the disc is detected. this prevents many of the lockups freezes and skips that occur.
our service center didnt really like the toshiba ones too much tho, they said they had problems with the laser assemblies. i dunno.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks