What's new

Where's the Abbott and Costello WB Box? (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
After the great success of the MCA discs, I was expecting a WB box with:

Rio Rita - MGM 1942
Lost in a Harem - MGM 1944
Abbott and Costello in Hollywood - MGM 1945
Jack and the Beanstalk - Warner Bros 1952
Abbott and Costello Meet Captain Kidd (UCLA restoration) - Warner Bros 1952

Any news?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Good question, Bob. With all the fine work Warner has been doing, this is long overdue.

(I also hope they haven't forgotten their promise to release all the Bowery Boys films) ;)

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
I recently saw UCLA's restoration of MEET CAPTAIN KIDD (which is actually a lot of fun and has good music, despite what Maltin says) as well as a SuperCineColor print for comparison. With a little tweaking on video, it should look really superb.

This one gets my vote for "yes". We won't be complete with the A&C series until Universal puts out IT AIN'T HAY, but this is just one step closer.

Bob, I was really surprised to see that MEET THE MUMMY and KEYSTONE KOPS were presented full-frame. As the author of "Abbott and Costello in Hollywood" (the best book on the duo, IMHO), did your research lead you to the correct aspect ratios on these? I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be wide-screen.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob

Jack; both MUMMY and KEYSTONE KOPS were photographed and presented theatrically in the 1.85 ratio. Unfortunately, they have not been seen that way since their original 35mm theatrical presentations. I would hope that Universal would re-master them properly. But, I'm told they just did new hi-def transfers of some 50's science-fiction titles from their library, and they were done full frame. It's too bad. The films look better in their correct widescreen versions.

Thank you for your nice comment about our book. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Bob Furmanek

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks

Didn't you work on the LD Special Edition of "Africa Screams?" If so, Hal Roach Studios is releasing it on 5/30/06. Is there a chance they are using your print and I'm not sure of the extras?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Not to go OT, but that kinda firms up what some around here have been thinking about Universal prepping a '50s sci-fi box - you've no further details have you Bob?

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston

I think Bob is referring to the transfers of the Universal films that have played on the "Monsters in HD" channel, in which case he is correct-- they're all full frame.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

Yes, when I played the UCLA print last year at my Salute to Film Preservation festival, Warner Bros. received my payment and cleared the showing of the UCLA print.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob

John: that Image laser was my project from day one. I located the 35mm nitrate elements; sold the idea to the Estates and Image of doing an extensive laser; and I located all of the supplemental materials. The disc wound up winning Video Magazines "Best Supplemental Disc of the Year" award.

Unfortunately, the Estates are very difficult to deal with and I don't think they can come to terms on allowing a DVD release. However, dozens of DVD companies have copied my transfer and released it without giving me any credit for the restoration. I suspect this is more of the same.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Was the old "Silver Screen" DVD ("Master Movies") your copy, Bob? That one was really awesome-looking.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob

I was the only one to master this film from nitrate 35mm elements, so I would assume that's my transfer.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I would also be up for a Warners set of A&C material. The L&H set seemed to do fairly well so I imagine Warners is looking into this. Hopefully they'll approach Bob to assist with the set when they do.

Bob - in your opinion, why are the Estates so difficult to deal with? Is it because the two families don't get along or just apathy? I assume the Abbott family is now represented by Bud's grandchildren since Bud Jr. passed away about 10 years ago. Also, in your opinion, will the IT AIN'T HAY issues ever get resolved or do we need to wait for the current executors of the Runyan Estate to pass away so that more reasonable folks can be talked to (sorry if that sounds harsh, but sometimes that's what it takes).

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks