What's new

Where The Boys Are (1984), Spring Break comin to Blu (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well folks, Scorpion has just released (available via Screen Archives) the 1984 remake of the 1960 classic Where The Boys Are.

As some folks may know, well actually probably not too many people since this movie hardly made a ripple upon its 1984 release, this movie pretty much bombed big time at the box office and was nominated for several Razzies, winning one for Worst Supporting Actress (surprisingly Bond Girl Lynn-Holly Johnson).

I did catch this one on cable and I didn't think it was all that bad though it seem to lack the "punch" of a immediate predecessor in the same genre, Spring Break (1983). And it definitely didn't capture the audience the way the Connie Francis featuring 1960 original did. But still would make a nice addition to a classic library.

I do wish the 1960 original was available on Blu and was hoping that Twilight Time might get it (being a MGM Metrocolor release) but apparently according to one member here, Warner now holds the rights and doesn't seem to inclined to release it.

Opinions and further information (particularly on the 1960 original) welcome.

WhereTheBoysAre1984_Blu.jpg

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Where The Boys Are 84 was the first film distributed by Tri-Star. It was a pick up from ITC after Universal refused to distribute it and Tri-Star was well aware that the film would bomb. They released it to give their distribution arm and publicity depts a film to work their hiccups out and get ready for The Natural. At that time Tri-Star was an independent production and distribution company owned jointly by Columbia Pictures, CBS, and HBO. It has had an interesting history.

As far as the fun original Where The Boys Are (love Connie Francis), it is controlled by Warners as they do with all the MGM titles pre-May 1986, but with the unque titles coming out n Blu from Warner Archive I would not write it off as a possibility.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Thank you for posting this.....I am a huge Lisa Hartman fan....and I am definitely getting this one!!! "Where the Boys Are 84" was just a fun silly movie...and Lisa was simply beautiful. No award winning acting....just a fun movie. Plus Lisa sings a remake of the Connie Francis title song (it's actually very good....Lisa has a great voice!!!). Thanks again Kyrsten Brad for posting this.....buying this on Friday!!!

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Corrine Alphen from "Spring Break" on bluray?

I think my player will spontaneously combust before I do....

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Thought I share.....Lisa Hartman singing the theme song to "Where The Boys Are":

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks