What's new

When did DTS CDs start coming in these gigantic cases? (1 Viewer)

I haven’t purchased a DTS CD in a couple of years (switched to SA discs). However, I was in Borders today and browsing through the music section when I saw a couple of DTS titles thrown in with the regular CDs. I’ve hear good things about the Lyle Lovell DTS CD, so I thought why not give it a try! When I picked it up, I noticed it was larger than normal, but I had assumed it was some kind of anti-theft device that they would remove at the checkout. I paid, they put it in a bag, and I really wasn’t paying much attention to what they did with it. Well I get it home, rip open the package and the case is huge! All the other DTS CDs I have, and I only have about 15 of them, are in normal CD jewel cases. Damn thing isn’t to fit on the shelf with the other DTS CDs!

Yea, I know, boo-hoo, it don’t fit! Nevertheless, it irks me to no end that they would up and switch like that mid-stream! What marketing weasel came up with this great idea!?!

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
The case you got is most likely the same as comes with (most) DVD-Audios. Depend on how full/empty your glass is, they either wanted to help people distinguish them from regular CDs or trick people into thinking they were buying DVD-As.
If it's any consolation, the STP: Core DVD-A comes in a standard jewel case, and so doesn't fit with my DVD-As. :)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Yet another different packaging.:angry:
yes it's the same as DVD-Audio. I'm sure DTS thinks that they'll probably sell more discs this way, and they're probably right. The chances of a DTS CD in a jewel box being misfiled in with the "regular" CDs is very high. The chance of a DTS CD being filed in the wrong place when it's in a "super" jewel box is nill.
NP: Talking Heads: The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads (on vinyl - I just learned it was never released on CD!)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
The "super jewel cases" came around last year. Like DTS CDs, DVD-Audio discs were originally issued in regular jewel cases, and I still see these older copies in stores every so often. My DVD-Audio collection is a mix of both sizes. It's a pain, but so it goes. In some respects, I actually like the larger cases, though getting the booklets out can be difficult.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I would think that making the DTS discs look like DVD-As would more likely sell less, since more people can play DTS than DVD-A.

At Best Buy, I saw two DTS CDs for the Eagle's Hell Freezes Over. They seemed like they were the same thing, but with different packaging- one with the over-sized plasticky case, and one with a normal jewel case and slip case around it. That latter looked better, but I'm not sure if they were the same thing. My buddy wanted to buy it, but we were so confused, he just threw it back on the shelf.

OT: How is the Santana Abraxas DTS CD? I already have the SACD, is the DTS worth it? I also plan on checking out the Allman Bros and Moody Blues DTS discs.

NP: Miles Davis, Pangea, CD

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
the packaging keeps changing on these. I have also found DVD-A in the small cases. I have a DVD-A of Tigerlily that is n a smaller case.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
I don't like the larger cases either, they also don't fit my shelf.
I believe the normal jewel cases for DTS CDs are on their way out, so if you see one you really want in a jewel case (and also prefer the jewel case ;)), go right ahead and get it while you can!
-Christian

Al_M

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if these super jewel cases are available anywhere? When I bought my DVD-A copy of Metallica (Black Album) from Best Buy, I didn't realize the top corner of the case on the hinge side was cracked. Of course I had already opened the packaging so I couldn't return it. I've been searching the web, with no luck yet.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Al, I haven't seen empty super jewel cases for sale anywhere. There probably aren't enough pre-recorded discs in these cases in circulation for anyone to bother selling empty cases.

Al_M

Stunt Coordinator
Keith:
That's pretty much what I figured. But I thought I'd see if anyone here had seen or heard of them being sold. After all, if anyone would know this, it would more than likely be someone at HTF! :)
Thanks anyway.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Try finding replacement pre-recorded MiniDisc cases.:angry:
NP Andy Summers / Victor Biglione : Strings Of Desire

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Friday, I just ran across the DTS versions of Sting's Nothing Like the Sun, Ten Summoner's Tales, and Brand New Day. (had been looking for TST woohoo), but the funny thing was that Nothing Like the Sun (older) and Brand New Day (latest) were both in the super cases, while TST was only available in a standard case.

NP: ATB - Movin Melodies.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
I didn't realize the top corner of the case on the hinge side was cracked. Of course I had already opened the packaging so I couldn't return it. I've been searching the web, with no luck yet.
al - best buy is pretty good about this. i'd just take it back and state that the case was cracked when you bought it. since you're not trying to get your money back or exchange it for something else, i bet they'll work with you. i had a problem with my chasing amy dvd and they were totally cool about giving me a replacement. worth a shot at least...

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
I thought the larger case was selected for these cd's to prevent a large number of returns due to customers unwittingly picking up the cd and getting it home only to realize they don't have a machine to play it. ???

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I like the larger cases actually. Reminds me of how cool the jewel cases seemed when they were first new.

These larger cases also feel sturdier to me, though there is probably no fact to back that up.

BTW, on a side note if you have looked at software lately you might have noticed an opposite trend. Software (at least what I see stocked at Best Buy) is being changed to SMALLER packaging. Many game titles now come in either the standard larger box or these new mini boxes.

Again, they seem cooler to me, most certainly just because they are new to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denapix
Recent bookmarks