What's new

What's the word on Lost Highway? (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Well, unfortunately, that version hasn't been properly compared by the Beaver or some other such site, but it's my understanding that the most recent UK Cinema Club release is a direct port of the French Mk2 release. I have the latter, and am very satisfied with the transfer. If you can confirm that it's a direct port of the Mk2 disc, then I'd say it's definitely worth a purchase.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Chris, I'll wager that you'll wonder why you waited so long!
BTW, you'd asked awhile back whether the Cinema Club disc was a port of the MK2. It appears that we now have the answer (yes!): http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDRev...thighwayr4.htm
Cinema Club - PAL - March 2007: The Cinema Club two disc is exactly the same as the MK2 except in the following areas:
1) MK2 offers a French DUB and optional French subtitles.
2) The Cinema Club does not include the 78-page booklet (in French)
Other than that they appear to be the same - anamorphic image, menus, digital supplements etc. BUT the good news is that the Cinema Club is 60% OFF HERE at the time of this comparison. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000A16I8...SIN=B000A16I8M

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Rich Malloy said:
Chris, I'll wager that you'll wonder why you waited so long!
BTW, you'd asked awhile back whether the Cinema Club disc was a port of the MK2. It appears that we now have the answer (yes!): http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDRev...thighwayr4.htm
Maybe, but they do show some slight differences in the bitrate between the two. Perhaps it's meaningless. Either one is probably ok. I hope they ship to Canada. I have at least two region free players to chose from :)

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Chris PC said:
Maybe, but they do show some slight differences in the bitrate between the two. Perhaps it's meaningless.
I believe DVD Bitrate Viewer includes all tracks on a given title (video, audio, subtitles) in its calculations, so the higher bitrate on the mk2 can probably be chalked up to the French dub and subtitle tracks not included on the Cinema Club edition. Indeed, I'm almost certain that's the case, since the difference between the bitrate on the mk2 and Cinema Club editions is about 448 kb/s, i.e. a single DD 5.1 track (the bitrate of a subtitle track is negligible).

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Jean-Michel said:
I believe DVD Bitrate Viewer includes all tracks on a given title (video, audio, subtitles) in its calculations, so the higher bitrate on the mk2 can probably be chalked up to the French dub and subtitle tracks not included on the Cinema Club edition. Indeed, I'm almost certain that's the case, since the difference between the bitrate on the mk2 and Cinema Club editions is about 448 kb/s, i.e. a single DD 5.1 track (the bitrate of a subtitle track is negligible).
Fair enough. Amazon dot uk it is then :)

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
TravisR said:
It's finally coming on March 25, 2008! Here's to hoping that there's no cancellation or delays.
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...t-highway.html
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

You mean no FURTHER cancellations or delays... After having my hopes dashed on this one for almost 10 years now, I'll believe they're actually releasing it when I'm physically holding a copy in my greedy hands.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
This is AWESOME news. I've got the Canadian disc lying around, but it's a terrible disc. This one is sure to have great features -- between Inland Empire and Twin Peaks: Gold, Lynch seems to have seen the light when it comes to extras.
Can't wait to have this in my Lynch collection. I think this film is highly underappreciated. It's very complex and satisfying.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Elijah Sullivan said:
, Lynch seems to have seen the light when it comes to extras.
I would recommend you keep your expectations in check. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.
It's coming from Universal whose catalog titles tend to be, shall we say, underwhelming when it comes to bonus features. According to Lynch this disc has been ready to go (just waiting for Universal to release it) for years now so the odds are any features that will appear on the disc were probably created before he "saw the light."
The important thing is that Lost Highway, which is IMO David Lynch's best film, is finally going to be released* and will probably have a great transfer and kickass sound mix. Or at least a transfer and sound mix that will be vastly superior to my Mexican import copy. Any extra features they throw in will simply be gravy.
*I still won't quite believe they are actually going to release it until I can physically hold a copy in my hands.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
About. Fucking. Time.
Except for the supplemental features, of course (or rather, the lack thereof). Unless there's something more Universal isn't telling us at the moment.
Still, this should make for a nice "stopgap" copy, though the high-def transfer I caught on HDNet was terrific-looking.

Matthew_Def

Stunt Coordinator
Elijah Sullivan said:
, Lynch seems to have seen the light when it comes to extras.
Lynch has always seen the light on extras, he just despises commentary tracks and pieces giving a definitive viewing of a film. Look at Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, Inland Empire. They all have informative production extras.
The 10-Part Multi-Angle Interview with David Lynch, sounds good enough to me. I really only care about the film anyway. I'd like to point out that a 2 disk version was released in region 2.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Stephen_J_H said:
He also loathes chapter stops.
He may loathe them but happily he's finally agreed to put them on his discs (still no scene selection menus, however).
I was all for his boycott of chapter stops in the beginning but then I was watching my DVD of The Straight Story one night and the player froze up. The only way I could resume playback was to turn off the player, restart it and scan through the entire movie until I got to the point where I left off. That was even more frustrating than attempting to explain the plot of Inland Empire.
All told, however, I think Eraserhead, The Straight Story and Mulholland Dr. are the only Lynch DVD's without chapter stops.

Matthew_Def

Stunt Coordinator
SD_Brian said:
He may loathe them but happily he's finally agreed to put them on his discs (still no scene selection menus, however).
Yep, and I see no reason he'll ever embrace a scene selection menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks