What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Lost Highway (1997) (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (2 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
STItnM0YCOhRjkbk50fCGHlj4gjjci_large.jpg
“We’ve met before, haven’t we?” A mesmerizing meditation on the mysterious nature of identity, Lost Highway, David Lynch’s seventh feature film, is one of the filmmaker’s most potent cinematic dreamscapes. Starring Patricia Arquette and Bill Pullman, the film expands the horizons of the medium, taking its audience on a journey through the unknown and the unknowable. As this postmodern noir detours into the realm of science fiction, it becomes apparent that the only certainty is uncertainty.

FILM INFO​

• United States
  • 134 minutes
  • Color
  • 2.39:1
  • English
  • Spine #1152

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES​

• New 4K digital restoration, supervised and approved by director David Lynch, with new 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack
    • Alternate uncompressed stereo soundtrack
    • For the 4K UHD edition: One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and one Blu-ray with the film and special features
    • Pretty as a Picture: The Art of David Lynch, a feature-length 1997 documentary by Toby Keeler featuring Lynch and his collaborators Angelo Badalamenti, Peter Deming, Barry Gifford, Mary Sweeney, and others, along with on-set footage from Lost Highway
    • Reading by Lynch and critic Kristine McKenna of excerpts from their 2018 book, Room to Dream
    • Archival interviews with Lynch and actors Patricia Arquette, Bill Pullman, and Robert Loggia
    • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • PLUS: Excerpts from an interview with Lynch from filmmaker and writer Chris Rodley’s book Lynch on Lynch

New cover by Fred Davis

October 11, 2022

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'm (pleasantly) surprised they're releasing Lost Highway before INLAND EMPIRE since the news of the work that had been done on the latter pre-dated the news that they were working on the former by a couple of months. Must be trying to get it out in time for Lost Highway's 25th anniversary.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Disappointing slate of extras. Not that I expected much more.

When I reviewed Pretty as a Picture years ago, I wrote: "The film was directed by one of Lynch’s old friends and there’s the overwhelming impression that the whole thing is a puff-piece. No tough questions are asked, there’s almost no mention of the fact that many of Lynch’s films are controversial, and there’s very little real insight into his art or what makes the man tick. Because Lynch does not like to discuss the meaning behind his films, there’s absolutely no analysis or scholarly criticism. We aren’t really even given any kind of social context into which to place his works." (I believe that doc was also shot on SD videotape.)

Similarly, when I reviewed the Room to Dream book: "Because this is an authorized biography, the book maintains an unsurprisingly positive and supportive tone toward everything David Lynch has done, and tends to gloss over the darker periods in his life (except to note them as character-building) or any flaws in his behavior or personality."

No commentary and no chapter stops?

I'm surprised they aren't promoting "Removal of all chapter stops per filmmaker instruction" in the list of features.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Here's a link to the commentary track that Tim Lucas recorded for the Kino disc. That track had to be removed at the last second from that disc.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
I think we all know by now that Lynch likes people to interpret his films on their own. No surprises in this release, and I'm greatly looking forward to seeing it in 4k.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks