What's new

What's the best buy - Barco Graphics 801s vs Barco Data 808 (1 Viewer)

Sasja

Auditioning
Thanks for taking the time to help me out here. I've been keen to upgrade from LCD to CRT for a long time, and now these three projectors have come along. I can't use a CRT right away (some work on the room needs to be done first, let's say 2-4 months), but as I live in Denmark where the market is a lot smaller, you have to take the offers when they're there. However, I don't want be ripped off and have several months to regret it before I even get to use the goodies! Anyway, tell me your opinion on these three offers:
  1. Barco Graphics 801s, $2200. New blue tube, 5200 hours, but there doesn't seem to be any problems with the other tubes.
  2. Barco Data 808, $3420. Has run 1100 hours, very clean tubes.
  3. Marquee 8500 Ultra, $5535. 1900 hours, a little wear on the green tube.[/list=1]Bear in mind that the smaller market in Denmark means higher prices - but ordering from the US where you can definitely get better deals will be very expensive in shipping and customs, plus it's a lot harder to do anything about it if you receive a wrong/faulty machine. All three projectors are sold from private persons without warranty. The 801s will leave some room for other stuff I'll need, like a scaler and a screen (been using a white wall so far). However, I understand that 808 is by far the better projector, and if that's the better deal, I could make do with a htpc (it'll take some time for me to figure out I'll wager) and a diy white painted board with a black border until I had some more saved up. The Marquee is honestly too expensive - I only included it on the off chance that you may all say that it's the deal of a lifetime and I should sell my underwear to get it :)

Any feedback will be highly appreciated!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Surprised I missed this thread!

2k seems pretty expensive for a 801, even with minty tubes.

The 808 and 8500 are a big step up, with 8in EM focused units, the Ultra is the newest revision of the Marquees. I am not particularly familiar with the benefits of the Ultra 8500 over the older non-ultras(it's electronics improvements only), but while the Marquees might get the nudge over the barco, a non-LC 8500 versus an 808 is almost a futile comparison. They are almost interchangeable. They are both modular, last forever, parts are easy to come by, they use the same tubes (except the G808's'), etc. They are both non color filtered, and not liquid coupled, which is a big benefit of the 8500LC units, along with being able to drop in 9in tubes into a 8500LC. Barco parts are probably much more prevalent in europe, whereas Marquees parts are pretty prevalent in the states, although barco parts are easy to come by here as well, though perhaps not quite as easy. Not sure how electrohome part availability is in europe.

If the 808 is indeed in good condition (I would definitely try to see it in person, check tube face condition, etc, if possible), that's your best buy most likely. Also, keep in mind that an HTPC is probably the best source for a projector, so don't think that you're "just getting by" with an HTPC. That's definitely better than much else you could buy, except perhaps in terms of simplicity.

FYI, I am using a BG808, and I also have a M8500 (non-ultra, non-LC), and while I haven't really evaluated them thoroughly yet (HT still being sheetrocked), the reason I will be using the Barco is only because of its dimensions, it's longer and not as tall, so less headroom loss with my very low ceiling.

And if you've not discovered the best place to be for anything related to CRT projection: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...ne=&forumid=16

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks