What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (4 Viewers)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Frybread Face and Me
Originally Released: 11/24/2023
Watched: 03/04/2023
1080P HD digital streaming on Netflix, upscaled to 4K via Roku Ultra

FrybreadFaceAndMe_2023_Poster.jpg

Benny is a "city Indian", growing up with his parents and paternal grandmother in San Diego. With trouble at home, and with his father worried about Benny's effeminate tendencies, he is sent away to spend the summer with his maternal grandmother on the Navajo Nation.

Recommended?
Yes

Why? Part of the latest upswell of indigenous filmmaking, Billy Luther makes his directorial feature debut with this coming of age story with subtle LBGTQ elements. It's narrated by the adult Billy, looking back to the summer of 1990, which changed his life. The pleasure is seeing all of the disparate family members interacting with one another and growing through one another. Benny, being so disconnected from his culture, is the perfect window into this world; our understanding of his Diné family grows as his does. And though Grandma Lorraine doesn't speak a word of English in the movie, we see over and over again how she she keeps the family together and connects them to their culture and their heritage. She's played by Sarah H. Natani, a celebrated weaver, and the scenes where Grandma Lorraine works on her rugs are hypnotic. Keir Tallman brings a quiet open perceptiveness to Benny, while Charley Hogan brings a fiercely defiant charisma to Benny's cousin, Frybread Face. And the vast open landscapes of the New Mexico desert make the story feel utterly seperate and detached from the wider world.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Last night I watched Camille, the very famous Garbo movie about which I've always had reservations. I first saw this film shortly after I'd read in translation the source novel. At that time, the orthodox opinion of "respectable" critics and Garbo fans was that Robert Taylor was out of his depth. I disagreed then and I still do today. The best performances, in my opinion come from Henry Daniell - a George Cukor regular - and Rex O'Malley.

I do hope Kino release Mister Cory in which Henry Daniell is superb.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Two days ago, a cousin once removed - i.e. the son of a cousin - wanted to see Gilda on a big screen, so we watched that together. He's now a Rita Hayworth fan!

Last night I watched Bonjour Tristesse, a film I like a lot and which I think is under valued. Although he was regarded as a monster by several who worked with him, Otto Preminger usually got good performances from his actors and that is certainly the case with this film. David Niven was just about perfect.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Two days ago, a cousin once removed - i.e. the son of a cousin - wanted to see Gilda on a big screen, so we watched that together. He's now a Rita Hayworth fan!

Last night I watched Bonjour Tristesse, a film I like a lot and which I think is under valued. Although he was regarded as a monster by several who worked with him, Otto Preminger usually got good performances from his actors and that is certainly the case with this film. David Niven was just about perfect.
Agree about Bonjour Tristesse, fabulous cast and wonderful locations (I like films set around the Med, To Catch a Thief, Moment to Moment etc). There are two things I don't like, one is the ending (no spoilers) and, while Deborah Kerr is beautiful and beautifully dressed, the first time we see her she is wearing a horrible frumpy cream dress (fortunately she soon changes). Should have been filmed in VistaVision.

There is a very nice YouTube video with scenes from the film accompanied by Mia May singing Summer Wine.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Damsel
Originally Released: 03/08/2024
Watched: 03/08/2024
1080P HD digital streaming on Netflix, upscaled to 4K via Roku Ultra

Damsel_2024_Poster.jpg

Recommended?
It Depends

On What? Whether the prospect of Die Hard in a cave, with Millie Bobby Brown as the John McClane character and a giant-ass dragon as the Hans Gruber character, is worth sitting through a long and sluggish first act.

* * *​
Oppenheimer
Originally Released: 07/21/2023
Watched: 03/10/2024
4K UHD disc via Panasonic DP-UB820

Oppenheimer (2023) 4k Ultra HD Cover Art

Recommended?
Yes

Why? While it's too long, and burdened with one framing device too many, it's an engaging look into the father of the atom and the world he left behind.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I was in the mood for some action adventure plus feminine glamour yesterday so I watched Thunderball. It's not often I watch a James Bond film!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I has another look at Undercover Girl last night. It's a routine story but done pretty well. I feel it would have had more impact if a stronger female presence, someone like Allison Hayes, had been in the leading role. In her day, Pam Grier should have done a remake!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks