What's new

What's on your Daily Viewing List? (6 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It's that time of year that I do my annual watch of Love Actually.

Did not buy the new version as I understand its almost exactly
the same transfer as the old.

Also want to watch the original Bonnie & Clyde over the next
few days. Been awhile since I have seen that film and I have
been getting the urge to watch it again.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
It's that time of year that I do my annual watch of Love Actually.
Ron:

When it gets to this time of year, you must "feel it in your fingers...and feel it in your toes." :biggrin:

The lyrics to "Christmas is All Around" are fresh in my mind since we just watched Love Actually at our house the other day.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The lyrics to "Christmas is All Around" are fresh in my mind since we just watched Love Actually at our house the other day.
Yes, that song and "God Only Knows"

I just love this movie.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I usually do the Alan Rickman double feature for Christmas - Love Actually and Die Hard.My boys pointed out I could throw in a few Harry Potter's and do a Christmas A.R. marathon.

Love Actually contains (IMO) the single most heart-breaking scene in films - Emma Thompson in her bedroom.
(although the Lincoln/Knightly/video scene ranks up there, but that is offset by the awesome "to me, you are perfect" scene).

David

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Love Actually contains (IMO) the single most heart-breaking scene in films - Emma Thompson in her bedroom.
[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]Yes. And I love the Judy Collins remake of Both Sides Now.[/color]

Okay, here I go babbling for the umpteenth time again....

Just finished watching this film. I watch it religiously every Christmas
and remarkably, I forget a lot of it -- so much so that I find myself laughing
at the same things and getting a big lump in my throat at others.

I just think this is one of the most incredible romantic comedies ever made.

Yeah, a bit over-the-top and full of clichés, but you got to admit, it's done
very well. The little boy in this movie is absolutely adorable, and Kiera Knightley
could be the love of my life. She is breathtaking.

...most of all, I love the music --- particularly the score that transforms into
this grand crescendo by film's end. I always turn the volume up loud.

Anyone that hasn't seen this film....should. It really is one that has repeat
value year after year.

And it's only $10 on Amazon.

Okay...I'm done.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Oh...one last thing I forgot to mention.

Didn't realize till halfway through that one of the actors is now the
star of THE HOBBIT.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I'll be trying to squeeze in the traditional good stuff the next few days:It's a Wonderful LifeScrooge (Sim version)White ChristmasA Christmas Carol (George C. Scott version)(Watched the Albert Finney Scrooge last week on the new scope screen - wonderful)And some junk to wrap presents by:Christmas VacationScrooged

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I watched THE SOUND OF MUSIC last night on ABC--the 1965 movie. This is after watching the new TV production a week ago. And three episodes of the Japanese animated series, "The Trapp Family Story." They showed the movie in a four-hour time slot. They showed the TV production in a three-hour time slot. The movie seemed to drag at times. I've seen it a few times before, including on the big screen, but not in a very long time. And it struck me that Plummer's Von Trapp never convinced me that he was in love with Maria. Something was missing there. I believed him when he snarled, but not when he smiled. I was much more engaged with the TV production, chiefly because it was shorter, moved quicker and was smaller in scale. I mean, did we really need "Do Rei Mi" sung on location all over Austria? No, singing it in a room is just fine.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
For a roadshow musical shown in theaters with an intermission? Of course, they were going to make "Do Re Mi" a big production number which meant exploiting the expensive location shooting they were doing to open the story up beyond the confines of a proscenium. And it worked like gangbusters.I couldn't disagree more about the chemistry between Andrews and Plummer and Underwood and Moyer. It was the latter couple that I felt displayed not the slightest tinge of affection or warmth between the two of them. I felt that greatly in the film. Their version of " Something Good" is very romantic with tinges of eroticism. Not nearly so much in the TV production.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Matt Hough said:
I couldn't disagree more about the chemistry between Andrews and Plummer and Underwood and Moyer. It was the latter couple that I felt displayed not the slightest tinge of affection or warmth between the two of them. I felt that greatly in the film. Their version of " Something Good" is very romantic with tinges of eroticism. Not nearly so much in the TV production.
Have to agree. While I liked the TV special and thought Carrie Underwood was just fine (especially starting with "Lonely Goatherd"), Stephen Moyer played Capt. Von Trapp as if he were a oak tree, and it's tough to have romantic chemistry with a tree.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Matt Hough said:
For a roadshow musical shown in theaters with an intermission? Of course, they were going to make "Do Re Mi" a big production number which meant exploiting the expensive location shooting they were doing to open the story up beyond the confines of a proscenium. And it worked like gangbusters.

I couldn't disagree more about the chemistry between Andrews and Plummer and Underwood and Moyer. It was the latter couple that I felt displayed not the slightest tinge of affection or warmth between the two of them. I felt that greatly in the film. Their version of " Something Good" is very romantic with tinges of eroticism. Not nearly so much in the TV production.
In watching the two versions a week apart, I found the Austrian vistas in "Do Rei Mi" to be incredibly distracting. The song is about the kids learning the basics of notes and melody and is not meant to be an Austrian mountain travelogue.

As for lack of "chemistry," I found a document online today about the real Trapp family:
http://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/2005/winter/von-trapps.html

Apparently, there wasn't that much initial chemistry between the real Maria and the Captain. Here's an interesting quote:
Maria did not marry Georg von Trapp because she was in love with him. As she said in her autobiography Maria, she fell in love with the children at first sight, not their father. When he asked her to marry him, she was not sure if she should abandon her religious calling but was advised by the nuns to do God's will and marry Georg. "I really and truly was not in love. I liked him but didn't love him. However, I loved the children, so in a way I really married the children. . . . y and by I learned to love him more than I have ever loved before or after."

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm finishing up a review today (Perry Mason TV-movie box set), but for the rest of the weekend, I hope to get to some Warner Archive titles recently received including Funeral in Berlin and The Mask of Dimitrios.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Did a marathon of the first 3 Indiana Jones movies on Sunday, and watched Django Unchained tonight. Tomorrow may be ringing in the New Year in 3D.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Since my next review discs likely won't arrive until Monday or Tuesday, I'm looking at a free weekend, and I hope to get the stack of unopened Blu-rays down by three or four.

I know I'll be watching The Shawshank Redemption today, but I haven't decided about any others yet. I have tickets for the national tour of The Book of Mormon on Sunday evening, so that's going to cut into viewing time (and I'll be watching either The Good Wife or Downton Abbey when I return from the show).

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Aside from yesterday's second viewing of Saving Mr. Banks in the theater, I've been working on The Simpsons: Season 15. Made it through the first two discs (15 episodes) over the last two days. There's been other current TV stuff (Shield, Arrow, etc.) from before the Christmas hiatus.

I'm hoping to get back into more normal viewing patterns now that I'm home...at least for the next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks