Directors What's currently the most prized item in your DVD collection ?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by BrettHarris, Aug 25, 2004.

1. BrettHarris

BrettHarris Auditioning

What's currently the most prized item in your DVD collection (which doesn't have to be a DVD title, but probably is) and please say why ?

2. Josh Pounds

Josh Pounds Stunt Coordinator

The item I think I'm happiest to be able to finally own is Eraserhead. It was out of print for 11 years before David Lynch produced it himself, and prior to that I looked around for it literally everywhere, and finally found it online in videotape form for 75 dollars.

I hadn't seen the film, only clips and heard about it. It didn't disappoint. I'm very happy to have it in a beautiful DVD form.

3. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I had the pleasure of helping on a conan the destroyer collectors edition for the UK dvd. I got them to get a commentary with my favorite lady.. Ms. Douglas. she plays queen taramis in conan. I also wrote up some questions and answers for the conan quiz. www.angelfire.com/ca4/sarahdouglas
    the dvd will be released on september 27, 2004. I am waiting for the dvd to review it for my site. I am very proud of my work on it.
    JACOB

4. RodneyT

RodneyT Stunt Coordinator

My most prized posession is the limited edition of Schindlers List with the books and stenographs and things. the plastic casing and oversized packaging makes it a pain to store in amongst the regular shelving system i use, but its one of the first things people notice when perusing the collection.

Oh, and the limited edition box set release of 2001: Space Oddesey, which was originally going to be a 100,000 production run, but ended up being a 10,000 run due to somebody at Warners here in Australia stuffing up, and destroying the master copy for the release. It contained the CD soudtrack, plus a frame of film, all packaged beautifully in a bright silver box. It might not be worth a lot in the US, but i like the fact that i have a copy of something that's TRULY limited.

5. Will*B

Will*B Supporting Actor

Will
    As a horror fan, I'm very proud of some of my limited editions that I've managed to pick up over the years. I suppose first prize has to go to the I Drink Your Blood: Signed Limited Edition, but I'm also proud of things like the Mondo Cane Collection, and the original Army of Darkness double disc set.

TV-wise, I'd have to say that I'm very happy with Star Trek: TNG seasons 1-7. Took a lot of $$$, but I got there in the end!

In short, I think pretty much everything in my collection is prized!

6. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I'm still (very happily) blown away that Criterion released a wonderful version of Hopscotch. [​IMG]

7. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Boring answer: Brazil CC

Obvious answer: My two LOTR EEs

Cheat answer: Alien Quad

TV answer: My four Futurama sets

Borrowed answer: Freaks and Geeks - I really gotta buy one of my own!

Bare bones answer: Paper Moon

8. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

I've got to go with Scott here and give a movie and TV answer.

Movie - E.T.-Collector's Edition; LOTR:EE's.

TV - Star Trek: DS9 - All seven seasons.

NOTE that these will probably change before the year is done!

9. stephen la

stephen la Stunt Coordinator

Malena - uncut reg 0 korean version just got it this week)
    Robocop - out of print Criterion
    Eyes Wide Shut - Uncut Region 3
    Macriss-Do You Remember Love - Region 0
    these are my most prized because
    of the uncute versions of the films and that I had to order them online from sites I don't usually use

10. Patrick.C

Patrick.C Second Unit

My 5 Dollar pre order receipt for the Star Wars Trilogy [​IMG]

11. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

This is Spinal Tap: Criterion: A fairly rare title I just lucked into at a used-DVD store.

12. Ross Waite

Ross Waite Stunt Coordinator

I'm going to have to say my "Ultimate Toy Box" (Toy Story 1 & 2). I know it's not much, but not only is it difficult to find these days, my family enjoys the movies - so they get repeat viewings.

-Ross

13. RafaelB

RafaelB Second Unit

Movies: The Original "Collector's Edition" of "Little Shop of Horrors" with the alternate ending.

My Japanese R2 Studio Ghibli collection DVDs.

Rafael.

14. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Children of Paradise- Criterion Colletion

Guests seems to notice:

Band of Brothers
    The Wicker Man (wood box)
    Looney Tunes: Golden Collection Vol. 1

15. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

Killer: Criterion Collection

16. BrettB

BrettB Producer

17. ZackR

ZackR Supporting Actor

My most prized item? That is a tough one. My "prized possessions" tend to be titles with sentimental value from my childhood. Don't ask me why, but I get so happy every time I am able to ad a childhood favorite to my collection.

TMNT: Season 1 Seriously, I can remember as a kid buying VHS episodes of individual episodes (mowing lawns, etc at 10 years old to earn money). Having this entire season (though only a few episodes) on DVD just thrills me. Yes, I know that might be sad, but I don't care. [​IMG]

Toy Story: UTB Hours of fun!

Snow White: Platinum Simply beautiful

Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)

The Princess Bride: Special Edition

The Goonies

Treasure of the Sierra Madre

18. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

My favorite is probably my french Amelie set. I don't watch it, becaue of the lack of english subtitles, but just flipping through all of the goodies in it makes me happy.

I've got a bunch of other big titles, a bunch of OOP criterions and stuff, but still, the Amelie set makes me happy.

19. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

although i've probably gotten as much if not more enjoyment from several other titles, i would probably have to say that i 'prize' my copy of Superman The Movie most- for several reasons.

1) Warner, going back to the LD days, was not known for going the extra mile for home video releases- i don't even recall them putting any trailers on their LDs. it was quite a shock to see how much production went into this disc- and as a 25+ yr fan of the film, it was also very satisfying (although i still don't particularly care for some of the newly inserted footage).

2) it was the anticipation of this disc that got me started on the hardcore HT craze. i ended up buying an RP (my first large screen tv) because i wanted so badly to recreate the theater experience for this movie- it also prompted me to get my first 5.1 system

after that it was a short hop to getting into front projection, and that has truly altered the way i approach this hobby now.

20. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

I guess I have quite a few rare collectable DVDs as well as some really impressive quality DVDs in my collection, but the one DVD I treasure the most is the very first DVD I ever bought, the original release of The Wizard of Oz (Cat906044/027616604491).
    [​IMG]

I had been anxiously waiting for the rollout of DVD and this was one of the very first titles released on DVD. I even saved my receipt from Best Buy dated March 25th, 1997 and kept it in the DVD case where it has remained since. [​IMG]

What I didn't know is that the ink used on Best Buy's receipts fades away VERY quickly, but it's the thought that counted, and I'll always know I was there.

This title went out of print when it was replaced by the improved release five years ago, and even though I bought the new release, I will hold onto this DVD for as long as I have a DVD collection as it marks not only the beginning of my DVD collection, but also the beginning of all DVDs.