What's new

What would you want? 20" Flat-screen or 27" Curved TV? (1 Viewer)

Richard Watt

Agent
My old 27" Mitsubishi dies on me. It was a hand-me-down. As a replacement present I received a 20" Samsung Dynaflat TXL2091 direct-view tv. It has S-video and Component inputs.

However, I'm a little worried about the size. Is a 20" going to be big enough? It's my main viewing tv in my apartment. There is a 27" Toshiba 27A41 that is the same price, but lacks the flat-screen. I have the option on returning it, but with a shipping charge. What would you do and why? Thanks for the input.

Richard

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
Flat screens really aren't all that great, IMO (before anyone flames me, I do own a flat screen TV). They're cool looking, and will reduce light reflections (though not eliminate them), but some/many have some geometry problems.
Having said all that, I can't imagine that you'd be happy going from a 27" down to a 20". The Toshibas are nice TV's for the money.
Get the bigger one.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Richard, have you looked into the JVC D-series TV? My friend has the 27" version and it looks great. It isn't flat screen, but is pretty darn close. In the future, I'll probably be buying a D-series 32" tv, as I think it's picture is just as good, or even better than my friends Sony Wega.

parin_patel

Stunt Coordinator
As Doug mentioned, definately go for the biggest screen you can afford. There's a pretty big difference in screen area between 20 inches and 27 inches (especilly if you're watching 2.35:1 DVD's). I had a similar decision to make last year between a flatscreen 27 inch tv or a regular 32 inch tv. I finally went for the Toshiba 32A40 32-inch regular TV, and have been very satisfied with it. The picture quality is great and the TV has Component and S-video Inputs. The 27A41 would be a good bet.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
As a WEGA owner, I like flat screens too. But the 27-inch Toshiba would offer you excellent color decoding. You will, however, need to access the service menu and compress the raster manually if you want to screen anamorphic DVDs at full resolution. I'd go for the Tosh.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Check out the 27" Flat Samsung clone under Home Theater Coupons & Bargains for under $400. Myself I would rather have a regular 27" set than a 20" flat. A wide-screen dvd picture on a 20" set I think is really going to look small to you especially after your used to watching a 27" set. Now if it were a 24" set then it might not be so bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandallFlagg
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale