What's new

What would make the perfect Mac website? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've been doing a bit of a GedankenExperiment, wondering what would make the perfect Mac website?

I meant to think through the ideal Mac website, as I've not found it. But as I process what's there so far, I've got more a mini-review of key websites I've found. But I hope you'll toss in your thoughts on what would make a killer Mac website, or if such a thing need to exist.

HTF Mac forum: This HTF forum is an excellent discussion forum. People are courteous, give great help, and tend to stay on useful topics. But it is not a full-on Mac website; notably there aren't proper reviews and the "membership" is fairly small -- perhaps 10 - 30 core people here.

MacLife has a broad forum, but really fails as such. Weird categories, low quality postings, and arguments over worthless issues. The website proper has some good info: rumors, reviews, etc.

Ars Technica has outstanding technical reviews: in-depth, intelligent, very useful. But the are infrequent and not the focus of the site. The forums are of little use, I find.

MyFirstMac is a great idea: Macs for Dummies website. I frequent it, looking for tips and tricks. But I've found the info generally to be mediocre. There are obvious errors in the info given. It's clearly written by people with only moderate computer knowledge themselves. Perhaps it will mature, but I'm losing interest.

AppleInsider: infrequent, but high-quality reviews. Don't know about the "society".

Back to my original point: what's the ideal Mac website? Or does it exist already? :)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
This is far from perfect but I visit ehMac daily as the info's generally decent and being Canadian there's often threads of interest to me regarding pricing up here etc.

http://www.ehmac.ca/forum.php

I also visit the rumor sites often to keep up todate with what's coming out so that would be required on a new site...even if its just a listing of the rumors with links to AI or MacRumors etc.

It should also be more then just Mac's but all Apple products incl iPods and Apple TV etc.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
After some more browsing and thinking, what I'd enjoy most would be a collaboration of the HTF mac forum with a quality review / news site. I've not found a better forum than this one. But I sometimes would like a tighter link between serious hardware and software reviews and the discussions.

Eric M Jones

Second Unit
I've found two community sites that are Mac specific and do what you are talking about reasonably well:

www.123macmini.com
http://www.maccast.com/

Both offer news and forums. Maccast started as (and still is an Apple/Mac specific podcast) but has expanded into a great Mac community. 123 is more centered around the mini but also has discussion for all Apple products.

I think we need to talk Ron into spinning off the HTF Mac talk into it's own entity. Keep the forums and utilize some of us Mac heads to push news and reviews.

-EJ

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Dave, you missed the perfect Mac website -- As The Apple Turns hasn't been updated since the original video iPod came out. But in its heyday, I didn't bother to read anything else (except for MacAddict in its Dead Tree edition -- which Jack from AtAT occasionally wrote for.).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks