What's new
World Wide Stereo

What Volume should I drive my speakers? (1 Viewer)

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
I have a BW 603s for my front. HK7200 runs them. Both are probably little over a month old. So this question arises.... Often I wonder at what Volume I should listen to my music. I only have a two channel system right now. For example I play Eric Claptons, Pink Floyds at -25db to -20db sometimes I touch -15db but did not dare to go beyond that.
When I watch movies, I keep the volume for most part of the movie at -15db. My Bass and Trebble knob are right at the center.
I understand whatever sounds good to me I should be ok with, but at the same time I should also know my speakers limits. I have not done any fancy calibrations to them yet.

Pls advice.

Stephen Weller

Stunt Coordinator
This is a [rant]VERY[/rant] subjective question that only you can answer. The numbers you reference are attenuation values and are only useful for getting you back to some known point. Think of them as a "stake in the ground."

Since everything gets amplified, we're at the mercy of the recording engineer's whim. Then there's the question of dynamic range.

I used to think the "best" way to listen to music was at what I thought was a "natural" level.

If that doesn't work for you, try cranking it until either:

1. It causes pain.
2. Your ears start to bleed.
3. The neighbors call the cops.

And then back it off by 1 dB. :D

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
Good point! but how do I know if I am going to blow my speakers when I turn it 1 db more? or would I have gone through one of the three points you have mentioned by then? :D

Stephen Weller

Stunt Coordinator

You don't. But you didn't say how much power you're driving with. I'm pushing a measly 75 WPC and can *EASILY* meet number 1.

Look at it this way, if your speakers can handle 100 WRMS, and you're only pushing 75, it's unlikely you'll harm you're speakers. Your hearing is a different matter.

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
but isn't go from -80 to -15 in that case isn't it increasing?
My HK7200 can do 115Watts per channel in Stereo(that is my setup). My B&W can take up to 150Watts.

So can I keep more Bass and Trebble than the mid value in the receiver? I hope I will not blow up my tweeter or woofer I guess. Does the SPL reading tell me how much I am pushing my Speakers to from the reading in the SPL, when I play a song or the test tone?

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
As Stephen pointed out, this depends on alot:

Room size/volume, how much power does that HK deliver per ch, did you calibrate your speakers and how, blah blah blah.... ok, enough of the disclaimer.

I use 603S2s for my mains, but I am driving them with a Marantz SR7000 AVR. I have 100w/ch and have calibrated to 85db with the volume set to 0 using test tones fromStryke.

I have a relatively small room that seems to get real loud/real quick.
* I usually listen to 2ch music at -8 to -12
* Multi-channel music (rarely) at -18 or so
* I usually watch movies at -15.

--Steve

Stephen Weller

Stunt Coordinator

Sort of. SPL indicates the end result of the work your speakers and amp are doing to fill the area with sound.

So you have a sound level meter?

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
yes I do have a SPL.
I understand quite a bit now, about the sound level. let me play around a bit during the weekend on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ciuycjsgfvbn
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale