What's new

What to do with the Outlaw 1050 (1 Viewer)

Chris Trot

Stunt Coordinator
I'm trying to get my system up and running, but need some more advice. I have a pair of CBM-170's paired with the 1050, but I was wondering if I added an external amp, if this would help to improve the sound quality. I was thinking of purchasing a used Adcom. Also, is it a bad idea to have the 1050 power all six channels for home theater. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bill Polley

Second Unit
The Outlaw will power them just fine for normal listening. If you listen at really loud levels and your room is huge, then a separate amp may be for you. If, however, you are missing the bass "punch", then a separate powered sub may be what you need. The Ascends that you have are down -3db at about 70Hz and way down at 50Hz. These are great speakers, but without a decent amount of deep bass your music will sound weak.

By the way, I LOVE my SVS! Five AA CBM-170's and an SVS PCi sub would be awesome crossed over at 80Hz with a 1050 driving them. If you still wanted more power, you could add the amp later.

BrendanL

Agent
I found a used Acurus 5 channel on ebay for $550.
I let the 1050 run the rear center, as its not used often.
The sound quality is amazing. It will help the sound quality at low volumes as well.

Martin Jiang

Agent
I am also a 1050 owner and just add a sherbourn 5/1500. The 1050 as a preamp is amazing and I think on par with a lot of the ss preamp. If you don't need pro logic II or other fancy stuff then 1050 is a keeper.

Adding an external amp is the best thing to upgrade your HT.

Martin

Bill Polley

Second Unit
I disagree. The 1050 has pretty good amps, pushing 50 watts with all channels driven. Adding a 200 X 5 amp will give about 6 db extra while a 100 X 5 amp will give only an extra 3 db of output. This is fairly minimal. I have a separate amp and it sounds great, but the first upgrade should be a high quality powered sub. This will lessen the load on the 1050 amps, allowing them to play louder, and it will give Chris a deep bass floor, adding solidity and punch that his small Ascends cannot reproduce.

I really think he probably thinks his music is weak or tinny sounding, especially at high levels. If so, it is due to the lack of lower bass. If I am way off base Chris, let me know. If you already have a powered sub, then I am sure that I am incorrect, but you only mentioned the CBM-170s. (by the way, I think they are awesome speakers, they just can't play deep enough on their own)

Chris Trot

Stunt Coordinator
I'm planning on getting the Rava sub within the next month or so, I am currently using the Sony WM40. I am mostly concerned with lower levels of music. I rarely listen to my stereo loud, but just looking for something else to help out in the sound department. I was also thinking about using some of the wave tube amps, but unsure how to integrate them and/or whether or not this would even help.

Mike Stoll

Auditioning
Chris,

I have CBM 170's with an HK AVR 325 and a Rava sub. I think it is a great combination. The Rava sub really helps to fill out the remainder of the low end. In my room I get very good bass extension down to about 60 Hz from the CBM's. I have them crossed over at 80 Hz from the 325 with the Rava set as a full plate amp to avoid having two crossovers in series.

I have a 12 year old Sony ES series 2 channel integrated amp (105 watts/ch, weighs the same as the 325, about 40 lbs) that I had hooked up to the CBM's and Rava to compare with the 325. There was a difference in the sound, but not as drastic as I would have imagined. I thought the lower end was a little weightier sounding when running the CBM's by themselves w/o a sub when powered by the Sony. With the sub I ran the Rava and CBM's in parallel from the speaker outputs of the Sony due to a lack of sub out on the amp. It worked out well, but the convenience of having just one amp with a remote made me keep the 325 powering everything by itself. I may try to hook up things so that the integrated amp will power the front left and right using the pre-outs from the 325, but I am not sure if I will notice much of a difference in sound.

Anyway, I think your best option is to add a good sub and see if this gives you what you want. There is a 30 day return policy on the Rava if it does not work out. Then you can try adding an external amp and see if that is the solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks