What's new

What to do with my SVS 12.1 drivers (1 Viewer)

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Whelp, my updated 12.3 drivers are arriving today, which means I will have a pair of 12.1s to play with. I have neither the time or desire to exert large amounts of effort building my own enclosures for these. I really have no use for another sub(s) but would consider putting something together for my brother-in-law if I could find an off the shelf enclosure that works well. Has anyone slapped one or a pair of the old SVS plus drivers in one of the boxes from Parts Express or similar & achieved respectable results? Ported or sealed, ultimate extension, etc wouldn't really matter. He is currently using an itty bitty Polk 8" sub that was part of a complete 5.1 speaker package, so pretty much anything will be an upgrade.

I suppose any box with a similar internal volume would be OK. Problem is till you account for the bracing etc of the SVS what exactly is the approximate internal volume?

-Dave

Arshad.Malik

Auditioning
I'm also interested in building a sub from those extra 12.1 drivers from my SVS sub.
Any information posted would be very appreciate to all those SVS owners that upgraded to 12.3 drivers.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, any box that is close will give adequate results. But you have the an SVS sub. Get a tape measure and start measuring. You can build an exact duplicate of the enclosure. Matching the amp is impossible but you can get close. Probably close enough that the average person couldn't tell the difference in the sound.

-Robert

fred garvin

Agent
I put a 12.1 in a 142.5 ltr vented cabinet (plans from adire audio for the shiva's ebs allignment)

the 12.1 drops right in, fits like a glove, and sounds incredible. I figured the calculating volume by external dimentions for the svs pb12+ and my box was nearly identical. both boxes are well braced, I figured how far off could the internal volme be?

with a 500 watt parts express plate amp, the results are far better than I thought they would be.

with the shiva, I was using a second sub because of my large room, the second sub has been disconnected since installing the 12.1 in my box

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
If you want to make it real easy just build a sonotube based sub to the same volume and port it on top like SVS's CS line.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks