What's new

What to do with $400-$500 for new player. (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
What should a person with $400-$500 do as far as new DVD-A or SACD players. For a little background, I currently have:

Yamaha RX-V1200 receiver

Cheap (analog outs only) cheap Sony cheap 5-disk CD-changer

Toshiba SD-2200 interlaced DVD player

Analog Sony Wega 32" TV

Speakers = Paradigm mon 7, mini mons, cc-350 SVS 16-46CS

I would like to get into high-res multi-channel audio, but I dont know what the right player for me is. I like the 5-disk changer, but would go back to single disk to get better quality. I was thinking about the Sony DVPNC650V DVD/CD/SACD changer or the Panasonic RP-91 (can you still get this player, I heard it was getting replaced?) Or, is something great just over the horizon? Perhaps a decent universal player in this price-range is coming???

My main concern is, I dont even have a digital TV and dont know when I'll be getting one, so I will not be utilizing the prog scan of the Panny. If I spend 4-$500 on a SACD or DVD-A player, I wont have be able to get anything like the ICBM to do bass management for either. My sub is placed near my mains, so maybe the 120Hz crossover of the Sony SACD players would be OK, but there is no bass managament at all on the RP-91.

Should I avoid getting into hi-res multichannel audio at this point due to the possible changing standards? Of course my receiver does not have a digital input for SACD/DVD-A and I just got it, so even if a standard is developed soon, I would still be looking for a player with 5.1 analog outs.

What questions should I be asking myself, or what would you'all do?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Charles, I wouldn't get an RP91 for it's DVD-A ability. It's a great DVD-V player but as a DVD-A player it's no wonderment. I upgraded my RP91's firmware to the latest version and it stille won't play my Boz Scaggs DIG DVD-A disc, ugh! I've never used my RP91 with my analog set, interlaced. I hear people say it's more average as an interlaced player.
I can't tell you which of the 5.1 formats will fly farther, if either will? But, I'm liking SACD better. I'm put off by the thin selection of DVD-A and compatibility issues that abound between players and discs. Not to imply that SACD has a great selection, particulrly of multi-channel discs because about most SACD's are stereo. Only 3 of my 24 SACD's have a 5.1 program. My SACD player is stereo anyway. BTW, all DVD-A and SACD playback is via analog outputs.
I'm thiking about tradng my RP91 for an Elite 47A which plays all formats when they arrive in town soon, but they cost more. Good luck on your quest!

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Well, after talking to my dealer and reading many posts here, and some magazine reviews, I am getting more and more impressed with the idea of SACD. Does anyone have any idea when the new crop of non-sony SACD players will be available. (I heard that the format was being opened to other manufacturers now, is that right?) I think knowing what may be coming out in the future may be a better option at my price range than what is already out. Also, I would had to buy an interlaced DVD player at this point just to know that I will want to replace it with a prog-scan model later, so that probably knocks off the Sony SACD/DVD player.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Well, I think I have decided that SACD is the way to go. I started another thread "Did the Philips DVD962 ever get released." about the DVD962 DVD/SACD player that was announced for a February release. No one seems to have heard of it, or at least, I have gotten no replies. We'll see.

JonBouche

Agent
The only place I have found that is selling the new Philips is here:
Link Removed
However, this is a foreign distributor, which also gets you with some hefty shipping charges. But, if you want to be first on the block, this is your chance.
Myself, I just bought the Philips Q50 from Circuit City for $299. Outstanding picture and great price. I will now look for a dedicted CD/SACD player, rather than a combo unit. This works much better for me, as I don't have that much invested in a single piece, so that when I decide to upgrade, it won't be so painful.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Thanks for the info Jon. I discovered this over at AVS also. I am very interested in this player, but will probably wait for a more mainstream/US distributer to start carrying this. Does anyone have a potential release date for this in the US? Also, is the Q50 a prog-scan player? If so have you checked out the interlaced output? If so, how is it?

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Well, if anyone cares (and judging by the number of posts here, not many do) apperantly the US releas of the DVD962 is eminant. I hope it gets good reviews. It looks pretty impressive for its price.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Well, Chip, I will be curiouse to see reviews of upcoming 2nd or 3rd generation SACD players. Will SACD follow the trend set by DVD players where much cheaper 2nd or 3rd gen players are better quality-wise then flagship first-gen players? I'm sure there will be more differences then similarites, but as I posted on AVS forum the Philips player will contain the same DACs for SACD as the multi-kilobuck Classe Omega SACD player. Interesting huh? I wonder if the Philips player will be able to give the 555ES and 775 (or whatever the hiher end sony is) a run for thier money at a fraction of the cost?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks