What's new

What is your choice for best laptop? (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
I'm in the market for a big bad laptop for video editing.
This is a dream, money is no object kind of purchase.
I'm considering pc only.
Give me your opinions:D

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
The dell inspiron 8200's are pretty sweet. P4 mobility up to 2Ghz. 15" screens up to 1600x1200 resolution. Dual optical bays. Up to a gig of DDR memory. Firewire ports. 64MB geforce 4 440 Go video cards. The only problem I got with them is the weight and the battery time. I wish dell would put out a thin but very powerful laptop with 15" screen, 4+ hours battery life, geforce 4 video card, and have it only weigh 3-4 lbs. I don't need firewire, I don't need dual optical bays. I would like a P4 and ddr memory. Plus right now they are giving a free digital camera or free scanner, printer, copier all in on device. $150 off mail in rebate and a free leather carrying case. Their free offers change every week.

My Apple Powerbook is on its last legs (won't charge anymore...think the port for the power adaptor is finally hosed) and will probably be getting an inspiron 4100 soon.

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
I would second the recommendation for an Inspiron 8200... Really nice specs, but i hear the battery times aren't too good. You could also go for Alienware or something, but their batteries suck even more.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
In CNET review not too long ago, a lot of people seemed to liek the "big" Sony, with a 15+ inches screen and kitchen sink. The problem with these big screen and big motor "laptop" is, as one reviewer said, I guess the users never have to fly coach. And at something around 8lbs, they are approaching the bad old days of the "luggables" (the original Compaq type 20 years ago). Offhand I do not see the technology to make the big screen (15") any lighter, as at that size, some kind of rigid reenforcement is necessary.

Blu

Screenwriter
HHHmmmmm, the Alienware option is looking pretty cool. It is a bit more expensive but WHAT A SYSTEM!!!!!
That rig in Space Black! MMMmmmmmaaannnn, I'm getting shivers!

Len Cheong

Second Unit
I would wait until they can put dvd burners in laptops. I don't understand why they haven't done this. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple comes out with such a laptop first.

Blu

Screenwriter
That really isn't much of a issue, I can always get a USB DVD burner if I decide to get one. I am really waiting to see who is going to come out on top in the DVD burner wars anyway. That will drive the price down on the blank media and make it mainstream.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Why would you want a dvd burner in a laptop? They are hardly selling desktop machines with it (yeah they are out there, but not in mass quantities like cdrw)?

Len Cheong

Second Unit
If you have to use an external burner then it's not convenient at all since you have to bring around 2 things. It defeats the purpose of the laptop's portablility.

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
I for one am going to get a DVD drive in my laptop, and a Firewire/USB 2.0 CD-RW (or DVD-R, if the price is right). On the Inspiron, the combo drive is a >$200 option, and i don't want to shell out that much moolah! :eek:

Brice

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen the Inspiron, it truly is a magnificent computer. If you go to ubid.com you can find them for dirt cheap nowadays. I would get one but I'm saving up for a nice custom tower:D .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks