What's new

What is the deal with pricing? (1 Viewer)

Dave Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Hi:

I just started on console games, got myself a Hex-Box... (No, I am pretty aniti-MS, but it was the best box for my needs, so I went for it!)

Anyway, so I did my shopping, and- unlike shopping for Amps, CD players, etc, there just seems to be one price (199.00) for the boxes.

And the games... they do not seem to vary like DVD's and CD's, either.

So, what's the deal? Is there some sort of, well, not price fixing, but something that discourages retailers- even e-tailers- from straying from the party line on pricing?

Thanks!

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The reason there's little flexibility in console pricing is because, well, there's little room for flexibility. Retailers make a little more than diddly squat on console hardware - the system is setup so they make their profit on the peripherals you "must" own.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Stores won't usually drop the Xbox below $199, but it's easy to find it for that price with extra controllers, games, or maybe a store giftcard thrown in.

As for games, there are HUGE variations in prices. For example, Beach Spikers on the Cube is $9.99 at Best Buy, whereas Walmart charges $49.99 for it. Some people practically make a career out of exploiting things like that, buying a stack of the game at Best Buy and then returning them to Walmart.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soonercineaste
Recent bookmarks