What's new

What is next step/level for Audio? (1 Viewer)

cooljoe815

Auditioning
Real Name
joe
Present HT 5.1 system setup:

Sony 36XBR800 (soon to be replaced) Sony 52XBR4
Yamaha Receiver RX-V1400 no HDMI
HR20 DTV HIGH DEFINITION RECEIVER
JVC DVD PLAYER (SOON 2 BE REPLACED BY ) PANASONIC DMP BD50
INFINITY SAT. SPEAKERS 3.5 mid drivers TSS-750 W/ SUB 10' with 150 watts

I am getting the Panny BD50 because of its internal decoder that will provide me with TRUE-HD and DTS-MA through my 5.1 analog output.

Should I upgrade my Audio and Speakers setup?

And if did, what is the next level? 7.1? New receiver? Dump the Infinity and go up with bigger speakers and more powerful Sub?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
IMO, bigger speakers and a better sub. As for using the 6/8 ch analog in's for the BD player, you won't be able to use the Yamaha's bass management, bass/treble controls or YAPO room eq. Thru the analog in's, most receivers bypass all processing and send the signal straight to the amp section. Just thought I'd mention it. There are exceptions. Onkyo receivers allow bass/treble controls and my older Pioneer 59txi allows it all thru the analog in's and i-link (which is why I bought it). I'm not sure how any receivers route audio thru HDMI.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
If you are satisfied with your front speakers, I would say upgrade your subwoofer first. Look at SVS and Hsu to start with.

If you are not satisfied with your speakers, I would replace your front 3 speakers, then do the sub, then do the rear speakers --> this order being based on my personal opinion of how you could get the most impact per change.

cooljoe815

Auditioning
Real Name
joe
Question,

I am ready to pull the trigger on the TV and the TV stand. Both are black, and my speakers are grey. The problem is that it wont go with the decor. Until I have the budget for new speakers , I was looking at my options.

Has anyone ever try to paint the metal speaker stand black and can I get a black grill for the front or is that insane. Has anyone come across this problem?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I can sell it on Ebay although sending the sub with all the stands and speakers will cost a pretty penny.

or live with the grey and black HT until I can afford to upgrade.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

I can not say that I have ever heard of anyone painting there metal speaker stand. But if you have speaker grills that have cloth on them, then you should be able to get some black speaker cloth and change it.

My old Altec A-7's had the old guitar amp speaker cloth and I recovered them and the Polk CS-100 under my HDTV.

May I suggest that if you are going to upgrade your receiver you could go with the Panasonic DM30 and bitstream the audio to your receiver. I also highly recomend SVS subwoofers as they work very well and the price is not bad ether. I own a Yamaha as well and it is getting upgraded by the end of the year. You might want to look at Denon and Onkyo receivers and maybe Integra as well. I agree with Gene that I would go with bigger speakers, maybe not as big as the ones in my picture. ;) But I would go bigger than the satalite speakers you are currently using. Speakers are the biggest part of your sound so I would look into that area. One thing to consider is that while Infinity makes a nice speaker the are not the most efficent speaker on the market. I would go with a 7.1 configuration with a 12" subwoofer. Hope this helps?

cooljoe815

Auditioning
Real Name
joe
It does, thanks. I like the Panny BD50 b/c it internally decode the HD plus thru analog outputs. At least that what I hear. I probably keep the speakers and later save money to upgrade them even if there are used.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
There is another consideration to think about, sorry. If you use the player to decode and send it in the analog inputs there are many receivers that it will bypass the bass management. And also if you like to use the differnet surround modes in your receiver that will get bypassed as well.

Personally I like to let the receiver do the decoding but I do not blame you for wanting the BD50. :) Is the BD50 a profile 2.0 player? Just curious. I am planning on upgrading my Yamaha RX-V995 and then my Blu-ray player so I can bitstream the Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio to my receiver. Now if I still had my McItosh MX-130 I would most likely get a BD50 and use the analog inputs for the DTHD and DTS-MA. :emoji_thumbsup:

Current HT Gear

Previous HT

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Just curious. But all this talk and yet still almost no mention of budget and prices (or at least comparables that you're seriously considering to help gauge those things)?

If $$$ is no object, things can get very wild. ;) :D

_Man_

cooljoe815

Auditioning
Real Name
joe
money is always a consideration. For the DVd player, $600 is steep but I hope worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks