What's new

What have they done to Darby O Gill and the Little People? (1 Viewer)

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
DARBYCOMPARE.jpg

Darby O'Gill HD VIDEO COMPARISON

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Chuck, Thank you for posting the audio dub and HD video comparison videos. The HD video comparison is quite a revelation. :(
I just wanted to put an honest and accurate example of what everyone is discussing. I’m so glad that I was able to grab the 2004 HD master before it was replaced on all platforms with the “all new digital master” that is now on Blu-ray.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I'm just happy it's been released as a Blu-ray release. Is it perfect, no. Are we gonna get anything better, no. I do think it is so much better than the DVD. So I'm happy.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
I don’t think it’s better than the DVD as far as color goes. The DVD has the color of the 2004 HD master, like the 1993 “restored and remastered” video release. The drastic change occurred with this new master, apparently scanned from a less than ideal element.

Every title is eventually reissued at some point, though perhaps in the future not on physical media. Put in your old DVD and sample it. Then put in the new Blu and compare scenes. That’s what I did with my video. If you’re happy, fine.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I don’t think it’s better than the DVD as far as color goes. The DVD has the color of the 2004 HD master, like the 1993 “restored and remastered” video release. The drastic change occurred with this new master, apparently scanned from a less than ideal element.

Every title is eventually reissued at some point, though perhaps in the future not on physical media. Put in your old DVD and sample it. Then put in the new Blu and compare scenes. That’s what I did with my video. If you’re happy, fine.
And everyone has their opinion. Mine is that I'm happy with the release. At least it's close to the correct ratio and the color is fine with me.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
And everyone has their opinion. Mine is that I'm happy with the release. At least it's close to the correct ratio and the color is fine with me.
Then there is nothing more for you to say. This thread is for people who have found fault with this release and want to share their experiences with this release and the film. You’re overjoyed with the $25 you spent on it, and that has been noted.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Then there is nothing more for you to say. This thread is for people who have found fault with this release and want to share their experiences with this release and the film. You’re overjoyed with the $25 you spent on it, and that has been noted.
Less than $25, however yes it's about people that are not happy, but people that are happy have a say too. Sorry you are so negative for I have enjoyed so many of your posts in different subjects before.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Less than $25, however yes it's about people that are not happy, but people that are happy have a say too. Sorry you are so negative for I have enjoyed so many of your posts in different subjects before.

It isn’t good to gaslight people. I can’t understand how anyone could look at this release and all prior releases and even production photos and think that this is a quality release.

I’m going to contact Scott MacQueen, who I believe was involved in Disney’s restoration and preservation program in decades past. I wonder if his opinion might sway yours since your eyes don’t.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It isn’t good to gaslight people. I can’t understand how anyone could look at this release and all prior releases and even production photos and think that this is a quality release.
Let me intercede here as things are getting a little too personal with your comments. People have a right to express their opinion in this thread whether in support or against this Blu-ray release. Also, let's stop accusing others of being negative or gaslighting people. Just stop it!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I can’t understand how anyone could look at this release and all prior releases and even production photos and think that this is a quality release.
I can certainly see from your comparison videos that the color grading is different, but that doesn‘t mean the color on the Blu-ray is wrong or worse. It looks perfectly fine to me, but my opinion is my own and I wouldn’t presume to say everyone must agree with it.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello

I have and will keep the DVD. My wife and I watched the Blu-ray and enjoyed it- I’m happy it’s available in that format. People were giving their opinion here and I gave mine. I honestly don’t go crazy over this stuff .I watched the Blu-ray , filed it away until next viewing. It’s beyond my control as to quality variations on these releases. If it gets corrected or upgraded I’ll obtain that new version as well.
The release of Darby has me hopeful that more classic pre-1970 Disney will be released on Blu-ray, and that would be a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks