What happened to Are You Hot?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Drew Bethel, May 12, 2003.

1. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

It just vanished from my tele...

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

ABC/Disney moved it to ABC Family as a result of poor ratings, what else?

3. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

I believe that is the show that the producers stole from Howard Stern. They are getting ready to go to court over it. The producer used to work for Howard and was a good friend. He then left the show to work on that Amazing Race show, or whatever it was called. He then stole Howard's idea. I mean every little thing on the show was a ripoff. So Howard is suing because he tried to sell the same show.

If I am wrong on this being the show, someone please correct me.

-Dean-

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I think they showed the last couple of shows (based on the judges scoring) to decide the final winners on Saturdays (while the reports on the war were going on during Thursdays).

http://abc.abcnews.go.com/primetime/areyouhot/

5. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit

There was no war on Saturdays?

6. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> ABC/Disney moved it to ABC Family as a result of poor ratings

Huh? They finished the season on ABC.

7. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Oops, I was thinking of All American Girl.

8. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I saw the last one but only by mistake when I was surfing.
    It was not on the night they said it was going to be on.
    I watched most of these but I was dissapointed in the end result. I know everyone has different tastes but the two they picked were not by far the best looking of the bunch.

9. JasonRH

JasonRH Supporting Actor

I picked the girl that eventually won the first time I saw her. Like someone else said, I think the schedule got switched around and I ended up catching the final episodes by mistake in another time slot.

10. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

11. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

ABC Learns Lesson from 'Are You Hot?' Tue, May 13, 2003 12:53 PM PDT

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - "We got greedy," ABC Chairman Lloyd Braun says plainly.

Following a surprisingly strong performance during the November sweeps period, ABC executives looked at the Thursday night schedule and had a fantasy of a miraculous reality series that would level the playing field with the night's behemoths, NBC and CBS. Instead, they came away with "Are You Hot?"

"I think that the minute it was on the air, both Lloyd and I were just uncomfortable with it," says ABC Entertainment President Susan Lyne.

Rather than achieving greatness and ratings success, "Are You Hot?" did little more than introduce the world to the sight of a decrepit Lorenzo Lamas waving a laser pointer like a maniac, isolating imaginary cellulite and pigeon toes as he went along.

Realistically, the show's ratings weren't even the problem. "Are You Hot?" averaged 8.85 million viewers per night, a higher figure than several shows ABC is proudly bringing back. Between the critical lambasting, the Howard Stern law suit and the general stench of desperation, the show caused the network to reevaluate its overall strategy.

"Ultimately having a heavily reality laden network is not great business," Braun admits.

In devising its new fall schedule, ABC had to make a distinction between "Good Reality" and "Bad Reality." The line-up finally contains only two hours of unscripted programming. The Wednesday night franchise of "The Bachelor" is showing a little age in its latest incarnation, but it will be back. The attempt to find a magic reality weapon on Thursday night will also continue, beginning with "Extreme Makeover," which has proven popular in its latest incarnation.

Braun promises caution and restraint, but falls short of vowing Lamas-induced reality abstinence.

"It certainly can be a potent weapon when used the right way," he insists. "You've got to be careful it doesn't become the dominant force of the schedule. We've been through that."

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Did anyone see the animated short of "Are you Hot" that was on Saturday Night Live a few months ago? They actually got Lorenzo Lamas to lend his vocals to his animated "Lorenzo" character and it was hilarious because he'd be using his laser pointer to point out fault from cartoon characters, like Popeye (huge forearms), and the showstopper was when he started critiquing Olive Oil (you can imagine the critique for her).