What's new

What DIY sub to match with Maggies for music??? (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Just a correction for Dennis:
I'm actually running the sub with a 120Hz LP crossover (don't know the slope, probably shallow) for SACD since I've got to use the bass-management built into the multi-channel outputs of my Sony SACD changer. Still very clean, however, even run that high.

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit
Celestion used to make a very good open baffle stereo dipole sub called the System 6000. It came with its own crossover/EQ. new they sold for $3,000 or so, but I have seen them for around $800 the pair.

I used to have a pair when I was using Martin Logan CLS and they sounded fantastic, although ultimate volume was restricted.

I'd post a picture here if I knew how, but there are a couple of photos at the link below.

Audio Artistry almost make dipole subs, in fact Stanley Linkwitz was their designer.

Cheers

Steve

Dennis XYZ

Stunt Coordinator
Belated reply. Thanks for the info Jack. I'm still wondering how they sound up around 2-300. I'm thinking of crossing directly to one of the big BG ribbons. I guess once I get moved and set up for DIY again I'll have to order a couple and check 'em out.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
DennisXYZ
I talked with Dan W about high end of the DPL 12" He suggests getting off them no higher than 450Hz. The first major cone breakup mode is at 600Hz, it's a function of the extra large dust cap.
Been playing around with a couple of pair of the big planars for several years now and have gotten the best sound quality using 530-600Hz XO points. Started with 250Hz XO, but the planars just weren't happy being driven very hard that low.
Prototype baffle #2

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks