What's new
World Wide Stereo

What configuration to use for Amps (1 Viewer)

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
I am considering purchasing a used 5 CH amp in the 125 W per ch range.

My current set up is Paridigm Monitor 7s, CC 370, Mini Monitor and Pw2200 powered by Rotel RSX 1055 PW 2200 Sub.

Room is about 2000 cubic feet but opens up onto stairs up to the kitchen.

Probaly 70% HT 30% music.

Here are the options:
1. Run all 5 speakers off the amp and use 1055 only as Per/Pro
2. Run all 5 speakers off of amp PLUS Bi Amp Monitor 7s using the RSX 1055 (I think this is possiblle but notr 100% sure)
3. Biam Monitor 7s using total of 4 CH off of the amp and use 1 125 W ch for the center and allow the 1055 to run the surrounds.

Which would give me best performance and sound?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I'd opt for #3 of those options as that would be ideal for music. Given your HT bent though option 1 might make as much sense esp if you're using a subwoofer and running all speakers as small. I guess then try it both ways and see which you like best. Some have reported their speakers to sound worse when bi amped while others find their speakers repsond well to it.

Jarrod

Agent
#2 is not really a great option since your amps you are biamping with would not be matched sonically. It might be fun to try but personally it would not give me warm fuzzies.

You didn't mention another option which is the one I would (and do currently) choose:

Drive your mains from the power amp (single amped) and drive the surrounds with the receiver. You are "wasting" two amp channels in the power amp, but in exchange you give the three main amp channels more headroom since the power supply doesn't have to drive the other two speakers.

Option #3 would be interesting to try if you listen to a lot of music. For movies my guess is that it probably wouldn't make much of a difference. For movies you might actually do the following:

Use four channels of the amp to drive the mains, and bi-amp the center. Drive the surrounds with the receiver. More power to the center channel might do more for movies than if you biamped the mains (unless you have mains set to LARGE and center set to SMALL).

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the replies.

Jarrod the 4 ch suggestion unfortunaly would not work as the CC 370 only has 1 set of inputs.

As per the suggestion I have started to look at 3 CH amps more seriously. If this will pan out or not I don't know as there doesn't seem to be nearly the number of 3 chs out there especially for poor people like me in Canada where outr used choices are much more limited.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I'd pass on the 3 channel and get a 5 channel as it offers more flexibility. You can always use the other two channels for a second zone if need be....you can never have to many channels of power. I have two 5 channel amp and will add more when funds are available:)

Jarrod

Agent
Oops, sorry Jamie - I used to have a CC300 and could have sworn it was setup for biwire/amping. Guess it's been too long :)

You could look into used monoblocks. The Marantz monoblocks used to get good reviews... Actually I tend to agree with Andrew about going for the 5ch anyway. Having a couple extra amp channels gives you a lot of flexibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks