What's new

What are your "Holy Grails?" (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Tim Tucker

Just thought of another one: the TV movie The Girl, the Gold Watch & Everything.
+1 ! I knew someone here would help my memory out :)

There was a sequel to that original TV-movie if I recall...." The Girl, the Gold Watch & Dynamite" (or something like that)

I'd get both of those if available.

Now that my memory's rebooted, there's another miniseries from the early 90's...

"And the Sea Will Tell", '92 I think. That's probably a "semi-grail" for me. Great miniseries imo.

I haven't seen a lot of TV-movies released as compared to series releases but maybe that's just my perception.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Randall & Hopkirk: Deceased, volume 2. A&E released volume 1 and volume 2 would finish off that classic series. Anyone know who has the rights now?

My other holy grail would be the ability to purchase the Stargate SG-1 complete series packaging so I can get rid of seven seasons of keep-case packaging that is taking up all that room on my shelf...

Bradley Newton

Stunt Coordinator
My list would be, in the following order:

1966 Batman
1966 Batman
1966 Batman
The Green Hornet
1966 Batman

and all of the Steve Martin television specials.

Steve_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Smith
I'm still curious why Max Headroom has not been released on DVD yet, but that is my holy grail of a show not out. I would have no problem buying this from R2 if it was out.

Curtis F

Stunt Coordinator
Max Headroom is the only show left for me that has not been released. There are a few that need to be continued (NYPD Blue) or re-done and continued (WKRP), but Max is the only one left that I'm waiting for.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I like stupid primetime soaps from Aaron Spelling and others that didn't last long and that no one even remembers lol. Among them:

The Titans
Central Park West (absolutely my #1 holy grail--it was an incredibly BAD prime time soap, but it had Raquel Welch, the guy from "Torchwood," and even the kitchen sink!)
Savannah
Second Noah
Life is Wild
Dolphin Cove
Summerland
Pacific Palisades

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Batman '66
The Green Hornet
The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis
Maverick

and for stalled:
The Bob Newhart Show
Newhart
Leave it to Beaver

I would pre-order any of these. Something I *never* do...

Real Name
Ryan
Batman 1966: I think I should be happy that at least the movie is on home video.

Herbie, The Love Bug - The Complete Series: I've always been an avid Herbie fan and when I discovered on the web that there was a Herbie TV series, I looked to see if anyone posted full episodes on YouTube, but with no luck. Maybe BVHE will eventually archive it on DVD sometime in the future.

Marvel Action Hour - Iron Man: Come on BVHE, what's the deal? How come you didn't release this back in '08 as a promotional device for the first Iron Man movie? With Iron Man 2 coming out next year, MAYBE we'll get what we want........maybe.

Superboy - The Complete Second Season: Enough already WB, we've been waiting for 3 years now to see the MUCH SUPERIOR second season to arrive on DVD! I believe I speak on behalf of the entire Superboy fanbase when I say this: Just go for it and release it! Sales figures for Season 2 would be self-explanatory: They will be better than Season 1. I know what I'm talking about here. Fans rank Season 2 as a much better season compared to the vastly inferior and weak first season. Will that be enough to convince you guys to release Season 2? Seriously, if Night Court and Everwood can get chances for redemption on DVD, why can't Superboy? We, the Superboy fans, are being treated as nobodies.

The Green Hornet - The Complete Series: It introduced Bruce Lee to american audiences and was a great show, even though it only lasted one season. With The Green Hornet movie on the horizon, maybe this could come to DVD if all of the legalities are cleared up, but I'm not going to hold my breath. No one ever said the world of TV-DVD would be fair.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
the batman 1966 movie has been out for years. I don't think we will ever see the 1966 batman series as time passes in seems more unlikely. I look at myself and i was born in 1968 and remember the show in syndication, so, many people that grew up with the show would be in their mid 50s to 60s range.

The Green Hornet would be a good choice considering their is a movie coming out. I would for one purchase that show. The only tv i watch now is dvd, especially the old shows from 1960-1980s. There are few shows after the 1980s i watch, but, i am just going to buy the dvd.

There many shows that only lasted one or two years that would be good to have in my collection.

Dignan

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon Hedges
My list:

Batman '60s series
The Wonder Years
The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis
Get A Life
It's Your Move
Midnight Caller

I also think the '70s-early '80s Battles of the Network Stars would be fun to see again.

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
The only true holy grail show I have left would be The Wonder Years

Semi Holy Grails: Dennis the Menace
The FBI
Barnaby Jones
Spencer For Hire
77 Sunset Strip
Batman 66
Holy Grails that need more love: Leave It To Beaver
Night Court
The Big Valley
My Three Sons

I would also enjoy some better representation of old variety
shows such as: The Glen Campbell Goodtime hour
The Johny Cash Show
The Ed Sullivan Show- Maybe some complete episodes besides the Beatles?
The Jackie Gleason Show
The Holywood Palace

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Originally Posted by Montytc

Holy Grails that need more love: Leave It To Beaver
Night Court
The Big Valley
My Three Sons
Well, Night Court is getting more love. S3 is on its way.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

Dobie Gillis
The Millionaire
The People's Choice

All great choices, especially The Millionaire. I'd really, really like to see the Christmas episode from that series!

Gary "I'd buy the other two series as well" O.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
My holiest of the Holy Grails has to be the 90's incarnation of the Outer Limits. Dare I say I prefer these over the originals.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
When they released Freaks and Geeks on DVD I was elated. It is one of a handful of shows which never made it past season one even though by all rights they should have - and would have had it not been for inept TV execs...

Two other very well done shows which died on the vine were Space: Above and Beyond and Key West. If they ever come out on DVD I will buy them without hesitation.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
[COLOR= black]Hmmmm, my TV-on-DVD "Holy Grails", eh? Let's see now...

1. T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) Through evil means, I was able to finally see this series fairly recently, and it exceeded my high expectations. A tough and gritty pulp-noir action series, starring Robert Loggia as a former "second story" man and circus highwire act, who hires himself out as someone you'd best not mess with.

2. SUSPICION (1957-58) Alfred Hitchcock-produced hour suspense anthology, a dry run for the later ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR.

3. WAY OUT (1961) Roald Dahl's spooky horror/sci-fi anthology series.

4. CORONET BLUE (filmed 1965 / aired 1967) A proto-Jason Bourne type amnesiac spy series, created by Larry Cohen (THE INVADERS, BRANDED).

5. THE WESTERNER (1960) Sam Peckinpah's outstanding but short-lived western series starring Brian Keith.

6. PANIC (1957-58, a.k.a. NO WARNING) Half-hour suspense anthology.

7. ULTRA Q (1966-67, subtitled) A cool Japanese attempt at an OUTER LIMITS-style monster-of-the-week sci-fi/mystery series, which soon spawned the superhero show UTRAMAN.

8. DRAGNET (1951-59, non-PD collections from Universal)

9. MAVERICK (1957-62)

10. THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65)

11. THE IMMORTAL (1970-71) Christopher George is a living "fountain of youth" in a sci-fi spin on THE FUGITIVE.

12. WORLD OF GIANTS (1959) The adventures of an accidentally-shrunken secret service agent.

13. RAUMPATROUILLE ORION (1966, subtitled) Ultra-mod German sci-fi series with swingin' lounge music and interesting special effects. Restored and released on DVD in Germany a few years ago, but with apparently no english dub or subtitles.

14. THE NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN (1968) Hanna-Barbera's weirdest prime-time series, combining live-action Huck, Tom Sawyer and Becky Thatcher with cartoon-animated worlds of mad scientists, monsters, pirates, religious cults, mythological beings, etc. Episodes were later rerun as part of THE BANANA SPLITS ADVETURE HOUR.

15. (THE ABC COMEDY HOUR PRESENTS) THE KOPYCATS (1972) Sketch/variety show starring the top impressionists of the day, including Rich Little, Frank Gorshin, Marilyn Michaels, George Kirby and Fred Travelena.

16. JOURNEY TO THE UNKNOWN (1968-68) Horror/suspense anthology from Hammer Studios.

17. BUS STOP (1961-62)

18. STONEY BURKE (1962-63)

19. BLUE LIGHT (1966)

20. THE F.B.I. (1965-74)

21. Q.E.D. (1982, a.k.a. MASTERMIND)

22. DARKROOM (1981-82)

23. DR. SHRINKER (1976)

Snowball's chance in Hell dept:

BATMAN (1966-68)
WKRP IN [/COLOR][COLOR= black]CINCINNATI [/COLOR][COLOR= black](complete series with the original music)[/COLOR][COLOR= black]
SCTV (the rest of the early years, and the final (Cinemax) season)[/COLOR]

These "holy grail" series need to be continued to the end:

DRAGNET (1966-70)
RAWHIDE
THE FUGITIVE

ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS (1955-62)
LEAVE IT TO BEAVER

TV Specials:

B.C.: THE FIRST THANKSGIVING (1973, animated)
STEVE MARTIN: A WILD AND CRAZY GUY (1978)
STEVE MARTIN: COMEDY IS NOT PRETTY (1980)
ALL COMMERCIALS... A STEVE MARTIN SPECIAL (1980)
STEVE MARTIN'S BEST SHOW EVER (1981) --by all rights, this Lorne Michaels-produced special, featuring most of the original SNL cast, deserves to be an extra in the upcoming SNL: COMPLETE 5TH SEASON set. Will it be on there? Your guess is as good as mine.

Made-for-TV Movies:

THE SAVAGE BEES (1976)
KILLDOZER (1974)
FEAR NO EVIL (1969)
RITUAL OF EVIL (1970)
CODE NAME: HERACLITUS (1967)
THE LAST DINOSAUR (1977)
THE WORLD OF DARKNESS (1977)
THE WORLD BEYOND (1978)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I'd also like the 1970 Richard Williams version of A Christmas Carol to come out on DVD. Technically, it's not a tv-show, but its another Holy Grail

James

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks