What are your "Holy Grails?"

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by JamesSmith, Nov 2, 2009.

1. BrianRi

BrianRi Stunt Coordinator

Well, until the show gets released, I guess I'll have to settle for these:

http://www.wbshop.com/BATMAN%3a-All-Over-Print-Pajama-Set-for-Toddlers/BATSAPRT,default,pd.html?cgid=

Too bad the information specifically states they're "not flame resistant". I was thinking they might have come in handy during one of my fights with Pyroman.

2. Statskeeper

Statskeeper Second Unit

I'll go along with that. There are rumors that all the episodes are lost, but I've also heard that the National Film Archives in Australia has copies.

Another Britcom I would buy would be "First of the Summer Wine", a prequil to "Last of the Summer Wine" set just before or at the beginning of World War II with many of the same characters in their youth.

3. mogwai70

mogwai70 Auditioning

How the West Was Won (pilot and 1st mini series) has been released in Scandinavia (licensed by Warner). I purchased mine here: http://cdon.no/film/how_the_west_was_won-931716

It's a legitimate release, but the picture quality could be a lot better. Actually it look similar to the tv prints used when it last aired in Norway a few years ago. I remember that season 2 looked much better then.

4. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

I've never head that the episodes were lost. I've also never seen them--but never heard that they'd been lost. I wish they'd have included at least the pilot in the AYBS? boxed sets of years past.

5. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    For studios to finish what they start, not cut corners, and re-issue stuff they screwed up the first time. That's "Holy Grail" enough for me.

6. bmasters9

bmasters9 Supporting Actor

Ben Masters
    I think that what you said ought to be "Holy Grail" enough for any collector.

7. carrington

carrington Auditioning

the lives and times of grizzly adams
    dan august
    barnaby jones
    angie
    making a living
    maverick
    harry o
    the magician
    a man called sloane
    flying high
    hagen
    ladies man
    switch

8. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Now that the Donna Reed Show is coming out on what looks like a regular basis, that lops a lot off my grail list. Still hoping for:

It's About Time
    Captain Nice
    The rest of Green Acres

9. LizH

LizH Second Unit

Starman (ABC TV series)
    Jennifer Slept Here

10. TV_Fan

TV_Fan Second Unit

Chris H
    Those are two of mine as well. Also:

Tales of the Gold Monkey (region 1 release)
    Gimme A Break (all seasons and/or complete series-don't let me down VEI)
    Silver Spoons remaining seasons
    The Phoenix (1982 short lived series)
    Marco Polo (1982 mini-series)
    Hard Time on Planet Earth (1989 short lived series)
    In Search Of (with Leonard Nimoy)
    Love Sidney (with Tony Randall)

My main "holy grail" is Starman.

11. Curtis F

Curtis F Stunt Coordinator

A few days ago I posted that Max Headroom is the last unreleased show that I'm waiting for. Well, I can't say that I've actually been waiting for them, but two other shows I would definitely pick up are Swift Justice and Strange Luck. Both were short lived series in the mid nineties and would easily be released as complete series.

12. Joe Ming

Joe Ming Auditioning

Like many of you, my list of TV series I'd pick up today if they were in stores include the '60s Batman and Green Hornet series.

Like some of you my list includes Maverick, Bret Maverick, Young Maverick, and Nichols, as well as Best of the West.

However, what I consider to be the holy grail of holy grails is not a series, but a single show, broadcast only once, on September 8, 1967. It's The Mystery of the Chinese Junk, an NBC pilot for a Hardy Boys series starring Tim Matheson and Rick Gates as the Hardys, with first role bit parts played by Teri Garr and Jan Michael Vincent. Now that's a holy grail!

13. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

However, what I consider to be the holy grail of holy grails is not a series, but a single show, broadcast only once, on September 8, 1967. It's The Mystery of the Chinese Junk, an NBC pilot for a Hardy Boys series starring Tim Matheson and Rick Gates as the Hardys, with first role bit parts played by Teri Garr and Jan Michael Vincent. Now that's a holy grail!

You're right Joe---that is rare and a TRUE holy grail.

As opposed to some of the others, that might already be out on VHS or more likely to be found than some one time showing. If you look at the first post on this thread, you'll notice that a a few of my grails were only shown once, and due to copyright and issues, probably will never be shown again, unless a fan has it recorded on some lost videotape somewhere. I hope you find your Mystery of the Chinese Junk. Good luck.

James

14. Guest

harper valley pta

15. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    As we draw closer to Christmas I've been watching just a few Christmas-themed TV episodes and I'm reminded that I'd love to have DR. KILDARE out on dvd. That show had two of the best Christmas episodes of all time, IMHO. I'm having to watch them from some pretty beat up TNT/Turner South recordings, so seeing this show out on dvd in pristine condition would be a nice treat. The first of the two Christmas episodes ("Season to be Jolly") is especially well done!

Gary "dare to dream - this series is probably a major long shot for a dvd release" O.

16. LizH

LizH Second Unit

Originally Posted by Tim Gregerson