What's new

What are some of the best looking 5.1 speakers? (1 Viewer)

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Jamo and Nakamachi both make some modern, sleek looking speakers if looks is what you are after. They don't perform as well as they look however.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I love the looks of these particular speakers:
AR, AR1's AR3's AR5's AR7's AR9's (I use the 9's) wish AR
would have offered Piano Black though.
I also love the Definitive Technology BP2000's in Piano Black.
They are tall, slim, deep.. They look like Monoliths (like
any loud speaker should) I am not into all this funky new
wave stylind like nOrh and B&W use (even thought they are
GREAT speakers) On looks alone, I could not live with any
speaker that doesn't look boxy.
I do however like the Diva's. They are semi traditional and
semi new wave. Not too much of either influence to swing
them either way.
I also love the NHT Towers in Piano Black (get the feeling
I love gloss black?)
If money was no object I would KILL for a pair of Wilson Audio
Bishops. They look like HUGE Monoliths finished in various
high end materials (Carbon Fiber, exotic wood etc.)
Those are just my choices..
As for what the Martin Logans cost, the old addage "If you
have to ask" $3000.00 wouldn't buy one... Let alone a pair..
:)

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
Brett,
I think you mean the UK brand Wilson Benesch and not the US brand Wilson Audio (which makes the WATT/Puppy among others)?
I personally think the Tag McLaren F1 AvantGarde speakers look pretty sexy and curvaceous, but it'll cost you a cool $22,000. The Tannoy TD series speakers are nice looking too :). For more real-world speakers, the B&W new 600 series are very nice in the wood veneers :)
Cheers,
Mike

Roy Wallace

Stunt Coordinator
Hello gang:

I have been following this thread with interest, and I have noticed something I would like your opinions about.

Most of these "beautiful" speakers have their tweeters mounted outside the main cabinet. Is there a sonic reason for this, or is this simply what you find attractive?

I tend to notice the main drivers and the cabinet shape/finish first when looking for beauty.

( Favorites so far in this post are the Swans)

Thanks

Roy

Barry Barnes

Stunt Coordinator
Most of these "beautiful" speakers have their tweeters mounted outside the main cabinet. Is there a sonic reason for this, or is this simply what you find attractive?

I tend to notice the main drivers and the cabinet shape/finish first when looking for beauty.

( Favorites so far in this post are the Swans)

The theory behind externally mounted tweets is that they have improved dispersion characteristics as well as allowing the drivers to be more easily "time aligned" with the other speakers in the cabinet.

Chris Rein

Stunt Coordinator
Brett,

It looks like the Wilson Benesch speakers would be a lonely girl's best friend!

As far as looks, well, I love my M&K 150's. And they sound friggin' awesome as well.

Chris

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I'm glad this thread got a lot of interest. It sounds like (excuse the pun) I really want a set of Martin Logans. Does anyone have any experience on how to buy them cheap? Or where to buy them (online preferably)? Darnit. This is going to get in the way of my dream for a plasma in the bedroom. =)

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
I like the look of the Sonus Faber The Gaurneri Homage and The Amati Homage . The wood finish they sport just makes me want to drool looking at them. I also like the inorganic look on Krell's LAT speaker line.
Anyone ever seen Andy Plastic Loudspeakers? Those things are far out.

MarkO

Second Unit
Leather and Walnut, whats not to like about Sonus Faber. I have my Concertinos on metal stands with a rusted finish. Looks great.

AaronMg

Stunt Coordinator
You could try Bang & Olefson. I listened to them I while back...they dont sound all that bad but they look beautiful. Good luck finding a dealer though.

BenG

Agent
Speakers dont get much nicer looking than these, in my opinion:
Link Removed
And they're planar! :)

Allen F

Grip
I think the Atlantic Tech systems look very nice and sound killer for HT. I think the 350 series falls within your budget. I have the 450 center and its finish is awesome, piano black, though.

Walt N

Second Unit
For pure looks I've always thought the old Genesis line and the Martin Logans were hard to beat. One thing is for sure though, any unusual looking speaker tends to polarize the crowd. Some will absolutely love the way they look and some will absolutely hate them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks