What's new

What annoys you? (2 Viewers)

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
There are some folks that live on a side street near me that cause similar issues when they have guests. They have nice wide, long driveways, but for some reason all their guests usually park on the street, often on both sides or the wrong side (it's a narrow street and you're only supposed to park on one side). It makes for quite a slalom run, and some close calls, trying to navigate this street with cars parked everywhere.

I'm on the other end of the situation - I have a friend who lives in town and whenever I go to visit him, I have to park on the street. Not because their driveway isn't long enough to accommodate my vehicle, but rather, his wife is always 'just about to go someplace' and needs to back out.

Come to think about it, perhaps there's a correlation there...... :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Canada Post in a strike situation for the second time in 5 years! :angry:

Just like in 2011, it appears to be the corporation that's determined to lock out the postal workers, rather than bargain in faith.

Sadly for we Canucks, this strike could drag on a lot longer, as the current government has vowed not to step in with forced back to work legislation this time around, for me a major irritant despite finding myself somewhat in sympathy with the postal workers the last time around, which I had previously never thought possible. Why can't two sides ever just bloody well settle without all the theatrics, which are best suited for the entertainment field? The bottom line is, unlike in 2011, this Canada Post strike/lockdown has the potential to go on for a very long time! :P

I hope this isn't getting too political? The main issue on my end, that I feel I can say is Amazon Canada relies heavily on Canada Post for deliveries, so at the very least, any orders from them will be delayed as they scramble for alternate delivery methods, assuming they just don't plain shut down! It's a good thing for me that I already wasn't planning on placing any Amazon orders for the time being, but I feel bad for those fellow Canadians who were, or who recently have!

For U.S. and other internationally based HTF members, consider this a potential heads up notice if, in the coming weeks, you find an unusual dearth in Canadian perspective critiques for newly released materials not easily obtained at Brick & Mortar outlets.

CHEERS! :)
At least the above scenario seems to have ended well for the time being, with Canada Post and the Postal Union agreeing to a 30 day extension to negotiate a new contract! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I just found a new annoyance:

Just having switched over to Firefox, I've made the annoying discovery that when I want copy text from another webpage, that browser doesn't provide the "Paste in plain text" option, a feature I have grown to love on the Google Chrome platform!

Does anyone know whether there's some setting that can be adjusted to bring back that feature in Firefox, or am I s.o.l. on this one? I really don't like having to bugger around with adjusting font styles and sizes!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Here's one option, Tony. There are others.

Firefox has numerous add-ons which allow users to tailor it exactly to their needs. THat's just one of the things I really like about Firefox.

So "Copy As Plain Text".

Thanks, Mike! Just have to be sure to initially select copy plain text, instead of waiting to paste, but otherwise, it's the same idea!

Replacing those generic globe icons are next on my agenda! :D

Last edited:

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
I went to the movies twice this week. Both theaters were multiplexes. One was old and other brand new.
The new theater showed the widescreen film letterboxed! There were 7 other theaters in that venue.
Couldn't they use an auditorium with a full widescreen? The old small theater plays independent and
foreign films. At least they have the excuse that all of the auditoriums are small. And of course, the people behind
us talked during the film as if they were in their living rooms. To be honest, I was afraid to tell them to stop.
People have been shot for less!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
At least the above scenario seems to have ended well for the time being, with Canada Post and the Postal Union agreeing to a 30 day extension to negotiate a new contract! :)

Clearly I spoke too soon:
http://globalnews.ca/news/2811759/c...age-union-requests-30-day-cooling-off-period/

Right now, it's all I can do to not completely rant my ass off over this!

I'm sick to the f*cking back teeth of companies and unions that have no g*ddamn clue just how good they have it! I mean, some of us poor sods are stuck on a fixed income and the union workers are stupid enough to let a single condition of arbitration (Only to be implemented if there was no settlement after 30 days!) get in the way of guaranteeing we get our mail! It's called compromise, a concept that's sadly lost on most people today, it seems!

Far as I'm concerned the bloody lot can go F themselves!!!!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I just found a new annoyance:

Just having switched over to Firefox, I've made the annoying discovery that when I want copy text from another webpage, that browser doesn't provide the "Paste in plain text" option, a feature I have grown to love on the Google Chrome platform!

Does anyone know whether there's some setting that can be adjusted to bring back that feature in Firefox, or am I s.o.l. on this one? I really don't like having to bugger around with adjusting font styles and sizes!

I bounce around with Firefox, IE10, MS Edge and Google Chrome. They're all annoying. There are times when I just want to throw my laptop up in the air and watch it smash to pieces as it comes back to earth. Not the laptop's fault, but the terrible browsers we have to deal with.

Wish I could help. Good luck.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I bounce around with Firefox, IE10, MS Edge and Google Chrome. They're all annoying. There are times when I just want to throw my laptop up in the air and watch it smash to pieces as it comes back to earth. Not the laptop's fault, but the terrible browsers we have to deal with.

Wish I could help. Good luck.
Actually, as it happens, Mike Frezon tipped me off to a Firefox Add-On that allows for copying as plain text, so that problem has been solved.

Otherwise, what you say is valid! All Browsers seem to suck in their own way, mostly that they're slow as f, even when the CPU and Memory are nowhere close to being maxed out! :P

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Don't know if I said this before here (maybe I did), but when it comes to popcorn, all I've been seeing lately at the Wal-Mart in Simpsonville is buttered popcorn. I'll grant you, buttered popcorn is popular when seeing a film (both in the theaters and at home), but sometimes I wonder if it's become so popular that if you want popcorn, it's buttered or bust? That would drive plain popcorn lovers crazy if all that was available was the buttered kind. It works the other way as well: I personally prefer the plain kind without butter, but would I want it made to where if the buttered lovers wanted popcorn, it would be plain or bust?! No way! It'd very likely drive them crazy.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Don't know if I said this before here (maybe I did), but when it comes to popcorn, all I've been seeing lately at the Wal-Mart in Simpsonville is buttered popcorn. I'll grant you, buttered popcorn is popular when seeing a film (both in the theaters and at home), but sometimes I wonder if it's become so popular that if you want popcorn, it's buttered or bust? That would drive plain popcorn lovers crazy if all that was available was the buttered kind. It works the other way as well: I personally prefer the plain kind without butter, but would I want it made to where if the buttered lovers wanted popcorn, it would be plain or bust?! No way! It'd very likely drive them crazy.

I think if you truly want buttered popcorn, got to make it at home, one of those do it yourself things.

Worked in a theatre for years, and what we served as "butter" was not even close. Actually made our own popcorn, but it was popped in this weird orange colored oil. Big five gallon container with a pump attached. A few squirts, two cups of kernels, some seasoning. Smelled great and brought the customers in, but no idea what was in it.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Actually, as it happens, Mike Frezon tipped me off to a Firefox Add-On that allows for copying as plain text, so that problem has been solved.

Otherwise, what you say is valid! All Browsers seem to suck in their own way, mostly that they're slow as f, even when the CPU and Memory are nowhere close to being maxed out! :P

Slow is the word. It seems to be ads and videos that keep loading behind the scenes. Thank goodness for places like HTF where that stuff doesn't happen.

And wow, just do a search for a sprinkler system part, or something to fix my dishwasher. Bombarded with ads for months.

Don't these companies realize how annoying they are? There isn't a chance I'd ever purchase anything from them. I stick with the local mom & pop hardware store.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Slow is the word. It seems to be ads and videos that keep loading behind the scenes. Thank goodness for places like HTF where that stuff doesn't happen.

And worse yet, sometimes you do everything you can to stop videos autoplaying (flash blockers, the lot), but the videos play regardless.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Let's add a new one. Those disgusting ads with Alex Trebek pimping for some insurance company. Thankfully a FF button on the DVR, but still exposed to a few seconds of them.

I thought the ones with "Flo" were the worst, but he has topped those in the annoying, please go away category.

Guess anything for $, no matter how pathetic.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Clearly I spoke too soon:
http://globalnews.ca/news/2811759/c...age-union-requests-30-day-cooling-off-period/

Right now, it's all I can do to not completely rant my ass off over this!

I'm sick to the f*cking back teeth of companies and unions that have no g*ddamn clue just how good they have it! I mean, some of us poor sods are stuck on a fixed income and the union workers are stupid enough to let a single condition of arbitration (Only to be implemented if there was no settlement after 30 days!) get in the way of guaranteeing we get our mail! It's called compromise, a concept that's sadly lost on most people today, it seems!

Far as I'm concerned the bloody lot can go F themselves!!!!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry:
At least for now, our Mail is still moving, as it was announced yesterday that Canada Post withdrew their 72 hour lockout notice, at least for the time being. In return, the Canadian Postal Workers Union (CUPW) is expected to honor their pledge to not go on strike.

Seems reasonable enough to me. At this point, it all seems to basically hinge on negotiations not breaking down, so we'll just have to wait and see!

Paul D G

Screenwriter

And wow, just do a search for a sprinkler system part, or something to fix my dishwasher. Bombarded with ads for months.

Don't these companies realize how annoying they are? There isn't a chance I'd ever purchase anything from them. I stick with the local mom & pop hardware store.

Get the AdBlock Plus plug in. Be sure to disable it on HTF! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks