What's new

What annoys you? (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Perhaps I should use that tactic. Four years into owning our home and we still get mail almost daily addressed to an old lady who lived here and donated to ASPCA, save the bees, save the whales, save the rain forest, save the purple-assed gibbon, etc…

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
I'm coming up on the five year mark on my house, and I still routinely get stuff addressed to the previous owners. The biggest problem is that somehow our contact information has now gotten intertwined on the internet. I get a fair amount of mail and calls from people two time zones away trying to buy "our" property (which is really theirs). I did have a pleasant conversation with one such individual which is how I found some of this out.

But yeah, I might have to try that "FFS" message as a return to sender memo next time....

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I'm coming up on the five year mark on my house, and I still routinely get stuff addressed to the previous owners.

Same with us. Oddly enough, some of it shows up in the daily Informed Delivery list, but gets filtered out by the PO before it reaches us. Some of it doesn't.

Anyway, with respect to the spam calling I posted about the other day, my wife found these on-line while looking up "One Street Financial":

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Waking up at 2AM to both of our heat pumps malfunctioning while the temp outside was a brisk 3°F. Both upstairs and downstairs had dropped to 62°. Luckily, I was able to get a service tech out to diagnose and repair a little after 9 this morning, presumably because both units are less than a year old. The upstairs unit had a faulty safety float switch that was shutting it off (even though the unit was running heat only and not cool air). The downstairs unit was drawing too much amperage for the breaker when auxiliary heat would turn on and was causing the air handler to power off and kill the entire unit, even though the breaker didn’t trip. I could reset the breaker and the unit would run for about an hour but not produce much warm air before powering off again. The tech advised the air handler breaker needed to be 60A and the one currently installed was a 50A. Both units were repaired and back online within an hour and a half of the tech arriving.
Well, the upstairs heat pump stopped working again and is giving the same float switch open error. The condensate drain is clear so it’s not water backing up and causing the issue. I just placed a service call and am waiting for a technician to show up. This will be the third time I’ve had to place a service call on this unit in 9 months for the same issue. The float switch was declared faulty and replaced twice before, the last time with a different brand that was supposed to be better quality. It makes me wonder if the air handler itself has a problem.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Well, the service tech showed up and looked at the unit. It turns out, the P-trap on the condensate line wasn’t completely clogged but had enough debris in it to cause the float switch to activate when the AC was running. He cleaned out the entire condensate line until he could pour a gallon of water through it and it wouldn’t back up to the switch. He also showed me where the inside of the A-coil and blower were full of dust. It turns out this was clay dust from where contractors had to tear out all of our bathroom tile upstairs last summer and replace the floor. The return air vent for upstairs is along the floor on one end of the bathroom so it was sucking up all kinds of dust and depositing it inside the unit. I was replacing the filter up there every day while they were doing demo work but some of the dust still got through. After the cleaning, we tested the unit and it ran great.

About a half ago, I received a service alert email that the unit was offline again for ….. you guessed it. Same float switch error. We’re gone to an appointment right now but I’ll be calling the AC company back when I get home.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The Vermont state legislature is pushing for residents to adopt heat pump technology here rather than other heating sources. I can see us trying to deal with issues like this when it's zero degrees or colder outside. Same thing with all-electric vehicles. We saw how those reacted to cold weather in the mid-west earlier this winter. These things are just not practical in more extreme cold winter weather.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The Vermont state legislature is pushing for residents to adopt heat pump technology here rather than other heating sources. I can see us trying to deal with issues like this when it's zero degrees or colder outside. Same thing with all-electric vehicles. We saw how those reacted to cold weather in the mid-west earlier this winter. These things are just not practical in more extreme cold winter weather.
Take it from me- heat pumps are very inefficient in the Winter, and the energy bill takes a beating.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I agree that heat pumps aren’t well suited for cold climates.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The error had cleared itself and the air was running when we got back home, however, it was after 5 so we were in after-hours territory so I decided to wait until tomorrow to place another service call so I wouldn’t incur an after-hours callout fee.

Wifey was tired so she laid down to rest for a while and I came out to a local for pizza and a beer. She texts me a few minutes ago and said that she keeps hearing a loud, squealing sound with thumping about every 10 minutes and it’s coming from the wall where the return air is upstairs. The other side of that wall is storage space above the garage where the air handler is located. I remoted in and turned the unit off and the sound stopped. At least the sun’s already down and it’s going to be in the mid-30s tonight so our bedroom and bath upstairs will continue to cool.

This is getting ridiculous.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
There’s a short clip on X that has gone viral- at an Indiana car wash, a customer rolled down their window, and tossed a beverage at an employee (I saw a little of that video- clearly done intentionally). Without missing a beat, the employee turns around, and shoots the high power stream of water back at the customer inside the car. Great get-even, but what’s both annoying and sad is how our society has eroded into a lack of manners. Who in their right mind, or with any conscience treats a stranger this way? 🙁

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sad thing is the car wash employee was likely fired and the only consequence for the rude customer was probably some water in the car.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The error had cleared itself and the air was running when we got back home, however, it was after 5 so we were in after-hours territory so I decided to wait until tomorrow to place another service call so I wouldn’t incur an after-hours callout fee.

Wifey was tired so she laid down to rest for a while and I came out to a local for pizza and a beer. She texts me a few minutes ago and said that she keeps hearing a loud, squealing sound with thumping about every 10 minutes and it’s coming from the wall where the return air is upstairs. The other side of that wall is storage space above the garage where the air handler is located. I remoted in and turned the unit off and the sound stopped. At least the sun’s already down and it’s going to be in the mid-30s tonight so our bedroom and bath upstairs will continue to cool.

This is getting ridiculous.
The squealing and thumping turned out to be an error on the part of the technician when he reassembled the blower and housing. He adjusted the float switch again and so far, no more noises or errors.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Freaking FedEx....

Another case of them delivering a package on a rainy day and setting it in front of my garage door instead of taking it up to the front porch. Not only did the box get wet, but it was in my way as I was trying to get home. At least the stuff inside wasn't affected.

Extra bonus -- the package was meant to be handed over to USPS, but FedEx decided at the last minute that they could deliver it themselves. At least the USPS has enough respect to carry the box to the front door.

Doug2000

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
There’s a short clip on X that has gone viral- at an Indiana car wash, a customer rolled down their window, and tossed a beverage at an employee (I saw a little of that video- clearly done intentionally). Without missing a beat, the employee turns around, and shoots the high power stream of water back at the customer inside the car. Great get-even, but what’s both annoying and sad is how our society has eroded into a lack of manners. Who in their right mind, or with any conscience treats a stranger this way? 🙁
On the one hand, X is not a representative sample. But generally I agree. People are a lot less friendly then in years past.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Deceptive/fraudulent auto renewals from major companies. Last year, after my subscription to E-Harmony auto renewed I was charged $584 for a new annual subscription. I did not agree to that, nor would I ever think of it. I joined at an annual rate of what I recall was just under $200. I never read anything or was alerted that the auto renewal would default to their "normal" rate of just under $600. Absurd. I argued, and got it reduced to half that (they were not happy about it). Terrible experience.

My girlfriend's account got renewed (she didn't know the auto renewal is locked in when you subscribe) at near the same high price of above $500 also, and she contacted her bank and cancelled the transaction--I have yet to hear if E-Harmony will fight it.

Also the non alert by e-mail or other means is telling of them. It is like they want you to forget about it so they can just keep sucking money from your credit card forever it seems. No notice of new annual membership, no notification they are going to be charging your card soon. They just do it.

I seriously hope a class action lawsuit is in the works. Not only is this method deceptive, but it is also wrong, and in bad faith of the company.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks