What's new
World Wide Stereo

What am I doing wrong? I really need help. (1 Viewer)

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator
Here's the deal. I have a Sony Stereo receiver that cost me about 150 bucks. Its nothing special. I recently bought an Onkyo 601 surround sound receiver. I'm really impressed by its build quality. Problem is, I disconnected my stereo receiver and put in my new Onkyo and it didnt work. It powers up and I can go through all the setup, options, etc. but no power gets to the speakers. I hear nothing out of them. I've tried using different sources, dvd,computer,tuner, but nothing comes out of the speakers. So I call up onkyo and they ask me to try the test button that sends pink noise to test db levels. Still nothing comes out of the speakers. They tell me to ship it back to ecost.com and replace it for another refurbished 601. This one had a sticker saying it was refurbished for minor cosmetic damage.
Anyways, so I'm upset because I have to send it back and waste time and money. I put my sony receiver back in its place so I have something for the time being. I hook it up, plug in inputs and connect the speakers. I turn everything on, volume up, no noise from the speakers. I again tried with the dvd and computer as sources. No sound. I even turned on the tuner with no antenea which would produce static but I heard none. Now I'm thinking, dear god what am I doing? I could not have blown two receivers within hours. I also could not have blown 4 speakers within hours.
So what am I doing wrong? I don't want to send the Onkyo back because I feel it may not be broken at all now. I'm probably doing something wrong. Even if I wired the speakers out of phase I'd still hear noise. Here is my thinking, I don't have time to try it because the flyers will be on soon, but I think that maybe the receiver isn't getting enough power. I have it plugged into one of those multisocket extension cord things you use with computers and that is connected to the wall on an extension cord. This means I'd have the receiver, computer monitor, computer, dvd player, and vcr plugged into that one extension cord. Could this be my problem? Matt

Cliff L

Grip
Did you make sure that your "A speakers" were on? Generally there's an A/B switch to switch btw your A & B speakers, but you can also toggle it so they are both off.

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator
Yea I've made sure I was using the correct A/B speaker configuration. And what are the chances I would blow all 4 speakers, 2 receivers , within hours of one another? Matt

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Any chance the "Tape Mon" button was pushed?

Start with the basics. Reset everything to the factory default and start over.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Did you by any chance replace the speaker wire when you got your new receiver? I once had something similar happen, and it turned out that I'd neglected to strip off a very thin sheath around the copper braiding of some new speaker wire.

M.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
This is quite a mystery. I don't know the answer, but I doupt that the power cord theory could be valid. You need another pair of eyes- get a friend or relative over to help trouble shoot. Report back !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schanne1
Recent bookmarks