What a system!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul S Gregory, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Paul S Gregory

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Damn straight. Has there every been more fun out of the box than finding an Atari VCS bundle with two CX40 joysticks, two paddles, Combat, Pac-Man, and Circus Atari under the Christmas tree?
    No, I didn't think so.

3. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

I disagree....
    But only because my parents bought me an Intellivision first. Man...the greatness of Astrosmash,Space & Sea Battle, and the totally awesome Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack - those were the days! [​IMG]
    Luckily, my best friend had that and an Atari [​IMG]
    Seriously,though...don't you miss the days when everything you needed to play came in the box?
    I do....
    ------------------
    "Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

4. Paul S Gregory

This is more like it! More of the fun and less of the "Hardware Wars".
    P.S. With emulators, I play all of these classic games on the PC!!!
    ------------------
    "There's no more warmed over leftovers leftover to be warmed over leftover!"
    Equipment List

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

True, emulators are nice, but there's nothing like having one of those old beasts hooked up to the home theater. Especially if it's an original Atari Video Computer System with wood grain on the front. The incongruity is beautiful.
    Of course, what I really want now is one of these: http://www.classicgaming.com/vcsp/ If you look at the link on the right, it appears someone has done the same with the NES (but not as well). Also, the VCSp vs. GBA comparison is a riot.

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

A portable Atari 2600??? Sorry, but I like my games on the BIGGEST screen possible, and so does my cat! And like I've said before, you haven't lived til you've played Atari 2600 Space Invaders with a subwoofer cranked up!
    The NES set a disturbing trend of having crappy controllers come with the system so you had to shell out extra $$ for a REAL joystick (the NES Advantage). Every system that's come out since then has done it (making me spend $50 on a PS2 joystick) Not packing a game with the system sucks too- when I got the NES it came with TWO cartridges- Gyromite and Duck Hunt!

7. Drew Dockery

Drew Dockery Stunt Coordinator

I have to disagree with saying that no games coming with the system sucks. I would much rather pay $200 for a system with no games than $250 for a system that comes with a game I don't want. As for the controllers, that's a preference issue, if you thought Atari 2600 stock controllers were good, I can't see how you could ever have a problem with any controllers ever!
    Drew

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Jesse,

9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    http://www.intellivisionlives.com/ My friend had the 2600 (as did my cousins, to my envy). Then we got the Intellivision! And then another friend got one.
    And those young bucks flaming each other over Gamecube-this vs. Xbox-that, could have learned a few things from the Great Intellivision v. Colecovision Debates [​IMG]
    Me, I loved the original Atari joystick. And even though they would break after serious use, they could be fixed a couple times pretty easily.
    Ahh... then the days of Atari 400/800 and the C64. Two words: M.U.L.E, Archon. And the introduciton of a whole new computer religious war.
    And then Nintendo followed by SNES (owned by friends). Those were the days.
    If I could go back in time and show younger-me the games I play today (N64 Rogue Squadron, PC Unreal Tournament, PC Starcraft) younger-me would probably die in shock in the changes. But once resurrected, we'd play a game of Archon, and older-me would get my butt kicked, 'cause I used to rock at that game! [​IMG]

10. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Man,I remember how psyched I was when I beat the then world record on Astrosmash. Played that game a full 8 hours [​IMG]
    And Archon is still one of the coolest games ever...
    ------------------
    "Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

11. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

12. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

13. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I went for a few hours on "Astrosmash" on Intellivision before I finally gave up realizing it was NEVER going to end! I can do the same thing on Atari 2600's Pac-Man and Star Wars Arcade. They're just way too generous with those extra lives!
    While the 2600 joysticks weren't the best, they were at least JOYSTICKS- you can't say the same about those Game&Watch things that came with the NES- my reaction when first seeing those was "You've GOT to be KIDDING!"