What's new

Well I just saw the new Screen Savers in LA.... (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
...........(sigh)........Kevin looking like he would rather be back in SF, Sarah with a "hip" makeover, a set that looks like every other TV set in LA & with yet another annoying spike haired gen-y twenty something metrosexual co-host just like every other show on G4.........yeah, TechTV is truly dead.:frowning:

Kelly W

Second Unit
I didn't mind it too much, but maybe I'm just happy to get new episodes.

Yeah, the show has a new "hip" makeover, but it isn't bad. The new host seems alright too me. No real complaints. I never liked Patrick very much, so I don't miss him. I *DO* wish Leo was around, though.

But TSS is now the ONLY show I watch on that stupid G4TechTV channel.

-Kelly

cwhite

Second Unit
I haven't watched TSS since it became part of G4 TV and the exit of Leo Laporte. I didn't know they had moved production to Los Angeles though I'm not surprised. I'll watch it again to see how bad it has become.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
That new host is incredibly irritating. In fact, he's a perfect example of most of G4's hosts, a bunch of annoying, irritating snot-nosed little punks with no manners and terrible sense of timing.

Truly pathetic.

Kelly W

Second Unit
Well, at least Alex (the new co-host) was a fan of the show before he got the job. He was familar with the TechTV "celebrities" before he went to the interview. He and Kevin seem to get along together and play off each other well. When the first new show started, I said, "Who is that? Oh, no! They hired some punk kid." And while it is still too early to say, I think he's okay. So far, I kinda like him.

I found Yoshi's recent segments to be a little... lacking. Frying an egg on his CPU? Dipping a gameboy in hydrofluoroether? Ho hum. Then he was showing "Faux Finishes"? That sounds like something from HGTV! :)

Yeah, the show appeals to a slightly younger demographic now, but I don't think it skews quite as low as the other useless crap on G4TechTV. I'm just happy the show is still around at all. It could easily have been cancelled outright, no?

-Kelly

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I have to disagree on this point because, from my perspective at least, Kevin seemed a bit disenchanted with the new host and the whole deal....it was the first show of course so it may take some time for him to jump into the groove.
But even so the entire show has taken on everything that I hate about G4, I.E. sarky hipster kids showing phony "rebel without a cause" attitudes that plays to the stereotype of what hollywood/the media thinks kids identify with, and done away with everything that made The Screen Savers one of TechTV's best shows, personable yet sarcastic geeks with some truly interesting info to share.

I am truly surprised that Adam Sessler is still allowed to be on the network, he certainly isn't in the age demographic that G4 is filling their shows with.

Where's Cat? I thought she was moving with everyone else to LA?

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Cat did move to the LA area but she is no longer working for G4.

I for one find the new host quite irritating. His vocal quality is far too shrill for my tastes.

After watching this week’s shows I've officially taken it off of my Tivo's To Do List. It just isn't as good as in the past.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
She is freelancing. The last thing I saw her do was a segment on the Regis and Kelly show.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member

Yes, as well as when you get a haircut, you only cut half of your hair...in irregular patterns.

It sucks that this show has fallen so far. Plenty of things learned from Leo, I did, hmmm? Can we get rid of the nerdy people and bring back the nerds?

Bruce

Will Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator
I really like TSS, but I haven't finalized my opinion on the new set and new host yet. I feel like they need more time to get used to each other. Kevin and the new guy seem to stumble over each other at times, ie not knowing who should talk when, ect. I expect that will get better with time. I don't like the new set much though, the loud yellow is a turn off. Sara's station in the wierd C desk on the side seems like a kludge to me for some reason. I tend to dislike changes so I am trying hard to keep an open mind.

I have a tendancy to grab at least one tidbit of information from each show. The cell phone base station thing from fridays episode is a great example. I am going ot stick with it and see how it goes.

There are a few shows from G4 that are good. Icons is great, one of the best shows on TV if they are covering a game, developer, or serries that you have an interest in. I also really like Filter. If is fast paced and I often get reminded about games I would like to play watching that show.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

I would say "Can we get rid of the Nerds and bring back the Geeks."

nerd also nurd Pronunciation Key (nûrd)
n. Slang

1. A foolish, inept, or unattractive person.
2. A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.

geek Pronunciation Key (gek)
n. Slang

1. A person regarded as foolish, inept, or clumsy.
2. A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits.
2. A carnival performer whose show consists of bizarre acts, such as biting the head off a live chicken.

You see what I mean? What G4 needs more of is people biting the heads off of live chickens.

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
I cancelled my Tivo season pass after watching a little bit of the new show. I haven't liked a single change they've made going back to dumping Leo, and their demographic-chasing ploys are just laughable.

Marc Bax

Second Unit
I hate it, hate it, hate it. All I have to say is who the #@!$ is Alex, and how do I get him fired. His voice annoys the hell outta me...

For a better alternative try the new Canadian version of Call For Help. Leoville has links on the board to DL episodes soon after they air. It's not great but at least Leo's there which goes a long way towards making it watchable.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Remember when the show used to be about...COMPUTERS?

Who cares about the latest FLASHLIGHTS?

Dammit, I wanna see RAIDs put together, not prebuilt with flashy lights.

Damn, I miss Kate, Leo, and Patrick.

This show is now a shell of its former self. What a shame. There's SO much out there that they can do segements on, and what's worse is that they seem to allude to the fact that they can't do as many "dark tips" as they used to. Several times I heard them refer to the "legal" department.

The show has no edge anymore. I used to be GLUED to the TV every night for SIX YEARS. Now I buzz it with my TiVo. A call will come in and before the person finishes their question I'll say the answer out loud and FF it. My wife asks why I watch the show anymore. I don't even know myself. Old habits die hard, and I'd rather watch TSS than Wheel of Fortune.

I don't like the new host. He has no authority. He has no presence. The guys from Pulse would have been better. Hell, _I_ would have been better.

You see, computers are my job and my hobby. I don't have time to sit there all day and find cool stuff to do on the net 24/7. TSS used to show all the wicked things you could do with computers. Now it's like a Gen-Y Call for Help. What's worse is that there's not ONE person on the show who could carry an interview with the head of the FCC like Leo or Patrick could.

I'm very frustrated with the show now.

Mike

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
What made me stop watching after the move to LA was the constant laughing from the audience, like a bunch of drunken frat boys watching Animal House, or something! They seem to be trying too hard to go mainstream.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Good point, Jordan. I forgot about that. They keep the audience reaction in when they play clips now, too. Very bad.

I really think that someone doesn't quite understand what TSS was all about. Well, that happened when they were TechTV, but now it's much worse.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks