What's new

Weekly RoundUp 9-29-2015 (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'll be picking up Age of Ultron. Thanks as always, Mike, and you've been in my prayers and will continue to be in them this week. Take care.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I forgot that Driving Miss Daisy was out this week. This is the stage production filmed live with James Earl Jones and Angela Lansbury, and it's excellent -- I only wish it were being released on Blu.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
JakeLip said:
I forgot that Driving Miss Daisy was out this week. This is the stage production filmed live with James Earl Jones and Angela Lansbury, and it's excellent -- I only wish it were being released on Blu.
Thanks for pointing it out.

I really enjoyed the production when it aired on PBS earlier this year. When I saw a national tour of Driving Miss Daisy many years ago with the late Julie Harris, it was really a bare bones production. This new Australian production did everything it could to give the production itself some movement and substance. Then, to lay the terrific performances of Lansbury and Jones (and Boyd Gaines) on top of it was the cake topper that made it a sweet treat.

But I'd have it have it in HD.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'll probably get the DVD eventually, but it would be a higher priority purchase on Blu-ray. It was broadcast on PBS in HD, so it shouldn't be hard to release that way. I wonder who makes these decisions, and if good old-fashioned letter writing would influence them to make better ones, if not for this release than for future releases.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I got the Hitchcock Essentials Blu set (Vertigo, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Psycho, and The Birds) at Best Buy for $19.99. It rang up at $45, but the shelf tag said "Reg. $59.99, $40 off" so that's what they gave it to me for.

In retrospect, I think the tag might have been for the "Classic Collection," (Notorious, Rebecca, Spellbound) since Amazon lists that as regular $59.99, on sale for $19.99. But I didn't see that set in the store, and I didn't see any other shelf tag for a Hitch set, so who knows.

At any rate, either of those sets is a great deal for under $20. (Even better for me since they sent me a $5 coupon for my birthday. :) )

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Wow. That's almost good enough for me to buy extra copies of those movies to keep in my office and to loan out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks