What's new

Weekly Roundup 8/6 - LORD OF THE RINGS Edition! (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
[rant]I will take the Ring...though I do not know the way.[/rant]
[c] [/c]
Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, the week of the release (so as to catch any week-of-release sale prices). All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price. If a price is marked "$_N/A_" in the grid, it means that this title is not shown as available on that chain's website...but it COULD still be in-stores!
I only include the titles I feel like including. In fact, the titles are pretty much the ones I'm personally interested in, with few exceptions. I don't get paid for this, and I don't have time to devote to doing every DVD. I have a lovely wife and a four-year-old son I'd rather spend time with. Please don't complain. If there is a title not included in the Roundup that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone...like I do!
Note that Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

Holy Crud! What a week!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

[c]
__________TITLE___________Amazon_BestBuy_CrcCity_CostCo_SamsClub_Borders
Bob/Builder: Celebrate___$12.74__$14.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$14.99
The Care Bears Movie_____$11.21__$ 9.99__$10.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$12.99
Clash of the Titans______$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$14.99
Dr. Who: Ark In Space____$18.74__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$21.99
Dr. Who: Tomb/Cyberman___$18.99__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$21.99
Exorcist 2: The Heretic__$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$14.99
Hot Shots!_______________$14.99__$19.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$14.99
Hot Shots! Part Deux_____$14.99__$19.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$14.99
JayJay The Jetplane #4___$14.96__$14.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$14.99
The Jeffersons: Season 1_$22.46__$19.99__$24.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$26.99
LotR: FotR - 2-Disc WS___$17.97__$15.99__$16.99__$19.99__$19.98__$22.99
Maggie & Fer. Beast #1___$14.96__$14.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$_N/A___$14.99
Medabots #3______________$14.99__$12.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$18.99
Sanford & Son: Season 1__$22.46__$19.99__$24.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$26.99
The Simpsons: Season 2___$32.49__$34.99__$34.99__$34.99__$34.98__$48.99
ST2: Wrath/Khan-Dir's Ed_$22.49__$19.99__$24.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$19.99
Super Troopers - SE______$19.99__$19.99__$17.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$23.99
The Swarm - Extended Ed._$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$14.99
Them!____________________$14.99__$14.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$14.99
Time After Time__________$14.99__$17.99__$15.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$14.99
Underdog: Nemesis________$11.24__$ 9.99__$12.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$11.99
Underdog 3-Disc Box Set__$29.99__$34.99__$34.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$32.99
V: The Final Battle______$19.99__$19.99__$19.99__$_N/A___$_N/A___$21.99
[/c]
* [rant]EDIT (8/5): I JUST STRUCK THROUGH "THE CARE BEARS MOVIE" BECAUSE I JUST LEARNED IT IS NOT IN ITS ORIGINAL THEATRICAL PRESENTATION OF WIDESCREEN. THANKS TO SCOTT_J FOR THE INFORMATION. NO OAR = NO SALE![/RANT]
* [rant]A REMINDER HERE THAT LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RINGS will be available in both Widescreen and Fullscreen versions. I encourage everyone to watch the movie in your homes the same way you saw it in theaters: In Widescreen. Whichever version you prefer, be sure to check the banner across the top of the box front to ensure you get the correct version. Which of course is Widescreen. :D [/rant]
* Another reminder here: The catalog titles, especially those from Warner Brothers, are unlikely to be fast-shipped into stores except for any that might be promoted in an ad (i.e., Clash of the Titans at Best Buy). I recommend that you plan accordingly, and spread your purchases out...since there's so darn much hitting this week!
* I mainly included Borders this week due to the profusion of catalog title releases. It's too bad there's no current printable coupon online for them, or it would make many of their deals superior. If anyone knows of a current online Borders coupon, good for 15% off DVDs, please let us all know! :wink: EDIT: There IS a printable coupon I've located on-line. It's only for 10% off, but that's nifty enough to get better prices on some of the WB catalog titles! Click Link Removed for the coupon! Share it with your friends!
* Both Best Buy and Circuit City are offering to save you $10 when you buy on the same transaction both Season 1 and Season 2 of The Simpsons.
* Been in the market for an X-Box game console? Now's your chance: Pick up the X-Box and a DVD Playback Kit at Best Buy this week, and they will throw in a free copy of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring! :emoji_thumbsup:
* Best Buy will also let you save $10 instantly when you buy The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring on DVD and, at the same time, pre-order your Playstation 2 copy of the game LotR: The Two Towers. But you'll have to wait until its November release date to play that game!
* A final Best Buy note, though most of you won't care: Their circular mentions the DVD title Roxy: Learn To Surf, Now!. Most of you guys will check it out on the shelves just for the bikini-clad blonde on the cover who is surfing (Roxy, I presume). Anyway, the circular mentions that there is a bonus Roxy t-shirt offer included inside the DVD. Since the disc is $14.99, it might be worth it for the shirt! :wink:
* CompUSA has inexplicably taken the week off! :eek: With the deals they set for Harry Potter and a few others, we expected them to come forth with a mind-blowing deal on LotR: FotR. Instead, according to their website, they have no advertised specials this week. Just some "unadvertised specials" on PC equipment, which they encourage you to print from your PC's printer and bring into the store. CompUSA's website shows LotR: FotR selling for $22.97, hardly a great deal. Perhaps they will kick in with a separate ad that isn't a flyer? Who knows. I won't be scanning the papers myself, but if anyone hears anything then please chime in!
* Target: Their website hasn't updated yet. But, my special thanks to Christopher D of VA., who has already posted here with the Target circular information. I'll copy it into this post for easy reference: * K-Mart has Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring for $18.99. The ad shows a widescreen version of the disc. Plus they will give you a $4 K-Mart Gift Card if you also purchase one of these titles on the same transaction: Austin Powers, Austin Powers 2, Dungeons & Dragons, Final Destination, The Long Kiss Goodnight. A good deal, netting you LotR for just $14.99 if you need one of those other titles (I don't). In addtion to all of that, K-Mart shows Super Troopers for $19.95, and Bob The Builder: Celebrate With Bob for $12.95.
* Wal-Mart's new circular only shows that Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring will be availble at their "Everyday Low Price". They do not state how much that will be. They do refer to it's online availability, where it is $22.99...but Wal-Mart's online prices rarely reflect in-store reality. I expect the store price to be named only on Tuesday, after they see what everyone else is doing.
* If you're in a mall, check FYE for The Simpson's: Season 2 to save a buck. Looks like they will have it for $33.88!
* Finally, in a (very) rare Fry's mention this week, it looks like they have the best deal going on Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - Director's Edition. $16.99, limit 1.
The latest markdowns according to VideoTropics web site (DVD Title/Old SRP/New SRP):
-------------------------
• Blob, The (1988) $19.95 $14.95
• Forsaken (Special Edition) $24.95 $19.95
• Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare $19.98 $14.98
• Nightmare on Elm Street 2, A: Freddy's Revenge $19.98 $14.98
• Nightmare on Elm Street 3, A: Dream Warriors $19.98 $14.98
• Nightmare on Elm Street 4, A: The Dream Master $19.98 $14.98
• Nightmare on Elm Street 5, A: The Dream Child $19.98 $14.98
• Nightmare on Elm Street Collection, The $129.98 $104.82
• Nightmare on Elm Street, A $19.98 $14.98
• Random Hearts (Special Edition) $19.95 $14.95
• Tomcats $24.95 $19.95
• Wes Craven's New Nightmare $19.98 $14.98
Happy hunting!

Christopher D

Second Unit
Dave -- my turn to thank you for all the work. My Target ad has LOTR for $16.99, Simpsons for $39.99 and not much else

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Chris, you are welcome. Thank you for your post, which you see I've incorporated into the Roundup. VERY good info, very nice. Did you notice if Target's ad promotes the Wide or Full copy of LotR?
They will probably stock both, although perhaps more of the Full version. :frowning: In any case, a pretty good price there!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I just edited the Roundup to include info on Link Removed printable 10%-off coupon for Borders! :D
PS: It's good through August 24th!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I for one will be skipping Lord of the Rings this week, waiting for the extended cut on Nov. 12.
So that makes it a little easier on my wallet to only have to buy the Simpsons, Star Trek 2, Time After Time, and possibly some Underdog.
I also have to struggle whether to wait and use my Best Buy coupons next weekend (I think it starts Friday), or whether they'll be out of stock by then. :frowning:

ChristopherDM

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Dave again for a nice summary of whats coming out this week. I alwasy give my friends this thread when they ask what comes out this week.

My Question CC list as having the DrWho DVD's...but my CC is litte slack in offering Catlog Titles. Does Best Buys as a whole pretty good on offering Catlog titles? I know you base your info on websites. But im off tuesday..dunno how I manage that...(hmmm=]) Wonder if its worth taking the drive to Best Buy.

Thanks,
Chris

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Simpsons, Kahn and a dozen copies of Lord of the Rings for me, thanks! I'm doing the DVD run for work this week, and just about everyone wants a copy :) I'm looking forward to seeing the Best Buy clerk's face.
If I hadnt known about the $10 cupon for preording the PS2 game, I probably wouldn't have gotten the game, but now, I will :)
Thanks for all of your hard work Dave.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Just an FYI for those of you in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. On my Best Buy ad (yes Dave, even after your round-up I still look at my ad ;P) it states
Be one of the first to own the DVD when it goes on sale at 12:01 a.m. (limit 2 per customer.)
Anyone else know of any "midnight releases"? Kinda cool they're doing this for a DVD...I'm so used to it with video game consoles.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
and a dozen copies of Lord of the Rings for me, thanks! I'm doing the DVD run for work this week, and just about everyone wants a copy :) I'm looking forward to seeing the Best Buy clerk's face.
You're gonna be the one with the freaky face, when the clerk gets through telling you that there's a 2-per-customer limit on all new releases. It's at the top of the DVD page (pg. 5) in their flyer. It's to keep competitors from buying quantities of stuff below wholesale prices and reselling them for more later on.
It used to be a 5-copy limit, but they just lowered it recently. Inconvenient for you and your coworkers, I know, but BB is just understandably protecting themselves. If they take all the hit on the loss leaders, and someone else profits, then it doesn't do them any good, right?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Thank goodness, a light week for me. FOTR from the BB deal last week, and maybe only ST2 (will give my old edition to a co-worker who's a big ST fan).

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone seen a price for the DvD Dogtown and Z-boys? Its a 70's skateboard documentary releasing this week. Won lots of awards at film festivals, etc. I bet no B&M's will stock it...

ChristopherDM

Stunt Coordinator
I bet you a TARDIS that CC never gets those Doctor Who's in locally. Mine never has, anyway. Best Buy might be good for them after a week or so (the last two releases took a month to show up at my local BB!). Borders will tend to have them quicker, but probably not on street date. Wait until the weekend. Use the Borders 10% coupon to get the price down to BB's/CC's.
Yea I might do that either go to Borders which isnt that far or order them from Amazon. I got the 1st three at borders and ordered the last two from Amazon.

So baring DrWho titles Ill prob pick up on Tuesday.
LOTR
Khan
Simpsons
Clash of the Titans

ps: THANKS DAVE

Chris

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Great work Dave. If anyone is in the Kansas City area, that will be me pushing down old ladies at the Best Buy Tuesday at noon.
Also, a huge thanks for the 10% Border's heads up. I must have both Hot Shots and that makes the cake all the sweeter.
:emoji_thumbsup:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Anyone seen a price for the DvD Dogtown and Z-boys? Its a 70's skateboard documentary releasing this week. Won lots of awards at film festivals, etc. I bet no B&M's will stock it...
You lose. What do I get?
BB & CC both have that title in their circulars for $19.99. I presume that means both stores will stock it on Tuesday.
I certainly didn't think there would be too much interest in it, so I left it out of the Roundup. Sorry!
PS - Post #4300! :eek:

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Dang David, you sure post a lot (I joined about the same time and look at me). Anyways, what is this Underdog set, is it the whole show or something? Anyways, getting LotR though Blockbuster (shudder) in Widescreen ^^.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I have a lot more than 4300 posts. Probably over 5000. A BIG slew of them got deleted early this year, when some misguided ( :D ) HTF owner deleted this Coupons & Bargains section, reducing my post count by every Roundup post I'd made so far, including responses. Plus, other posts have disappeared on and off as well, due to deletion of other threads.
I'm not really into worrying about how high my post count is, and noone else should either. It's quality, not quantity. I just hope I don't shoot my mouth off too badly, or look too foolish at times. ;)
The Underdog set is simply a box set of the two previous Underdog releases, plus the new release this week:

Each disc contains enough sections for 3 different story arcs; what would be considered 3 "episodes" each disc. Also, there are a number of nice supplements on each one. But in no way could this be considered archival season sets or anything like that.
Still enjoyable, for a quick fix. :) My 4-year-old LOVES these! And, support of these discs is pushing Sony/Golden toward considering complete sets. So show them you care!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks