Weekly RoundUp 8-21-2007

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Mike Frezon, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

The Weekly RoundUp

The Features

[​IMG]
    – Peter Weller (RoboCop – 1987)

[​IMG]
    – Abigail Breslin (The Ultimate Gift – 2006)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    – Helen Gahagan, Randolph Scott (She - 1935)

[​IMG]
    – America Ferrara (Ugly Betty – 2006/7)

[​IMG]
    – Bruce Willis, Halle Berry (Perfect Stranger– 2007)

[​IMG]
    – The Milky Way– 1969

The Prices

SD-DVD TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostcoBickford Shmeckler’s Cool Ideas$16.99$11.99$19.99 - - Broken English$19.99$24.99$19.99 - - The Dark Backward$9.89$12.99$9.99 - - Dexter: Season 1$27.49$29.99$27.99$27.99$26.99Dog Whisperer: Season 2$27.99$34.99$34.99 - - **The Ex$21.99$19.99$17.99 - - House: Season 3$37.49$39.99$39.99$39.99$38.89House of Games (CC)$25.99$34.99$34.99 - - J.A.G.: Season 4$39.99$39.99$39.99$39.99 - The Lives of Others$18.89$19.99$19.99 - - The Milky Way (CC)$19.99 - $19.99 - - **Perfect Stranger$19.99$16.99$15.99$19.99 - Red Line$23.19 - $19.99 - - Reel Talent: 1st Films by Leg. Dir.$14.99$14.99$15.99 - - Rob Zombie Collector’s Set (3-disc)$22.49$22.99$19.99 - - RoboCop CE (20th Anniversary)$15.99$19.99$17.99 - - Sacco and Vanzetti$26.99$19.99$19.99 - - Serenity CE$18.89$17.99$19.99 - - She (1937)$18.69$19.99$19.99 - - South Park: Season 10$34.99$32.99$29.99$32.99 - ’Til Death: Season 1$27.49$27.99$34.99 - - Ugly Betty: Season 1$38.99$36.99$39.99$37.99$41.49The Ultimate Gift$19.99$19.99$19.99$19.99 -

HD-DVD TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostcoNone this week. - - - - -

BLU-RAY TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostcoImmortal Beloved$19.95$24.99$28.96 - - Perfect Stranger$26.95$29.99$38.96 - - Van Wilder$19.95$24.99$29.99 - -

(CC) after a title = New release in the Criterion Collection.

Individual titles included in box sets listed above:

Reel Talent: 1st Films by Legendary Directors: Films made at the USC School of Film by then-students: George Lucas, Robert Zemeckis, Shawn Levy, Stephen Sommers, Jon Turteltaub, James Foley, Kevin Reynolds, Richard Kelly and Richard Bare.

Rob Zombie Collector’s Set (3-disc): House of 1000 Corpses, The Devil’s Rejects, 30 Days in Hell.

The Disclaimer Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

"LP" in the RoundUp table means a store’s Sunday flyer says "Low Price". That means I could not locate a definite price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, as always, Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

The Specials

**BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL! Perfect Stranger AND The Ex are available in both OAR and MAR versions...get the correct one(s)!

--Attention: Best Buy Reward Zone Members!
    Earn a $10 Entertainment Certificate with every $100 spent on Movies, Music & Game Software between 7-1-07 and 8-25-07. There are restrictions. For details…go to www.MyRewardZone.com. You MUST register at the site to receive this bonus deal! Don’t miss out!

--Best Buy also has a 2/$20 deal this week. Buy Perfect Stranger ($16.99) with EITHER Single White Female OR Closer ($9.99 apiece) and get both titles for $20. Must be purchased on same receipt.

--Best Buy is also advertising a BONUS PACK OF SOUTH PARK POSTCARDS with its copies of South Park: Season 10 on DVD. Minimum 30 packs of card per store. No rain checks.

--Best Buy has an immediate $10 savings, this week, with the purchase of Ugly Betty: Season 1 ($36.99) and ANY ONE of the following five TV on DVD sets ($49.99 apiece): Lost: Season 1, Lost: Season 2, Desperate Housewives: Season 1, Desperate Housewives: Season 2, Grey’s Anatomy: Season 2. Must be purchased on same receipt.

--Best Buy is also advertising an EXCLUSIVE FREE SERENITY COMIC BOOK with its copies of Serenity CE. Minimum 8 per store. No rainchecks.

--Best Buy has EXCLUSIVE FREE MOVIE CASH TO SEE BALLS OF FURY with THE PURCHASE OF one OF THE FOLLOWING THREE MOVIES: 21 Grams, Hollywoodland, Waist Deep ($9.99 apiece). Minimum 8 per store. Movie Cash value = $7.50. Valid 8-31-07 thru 9-21-07. No rain checks.

--Best Buy also has FREE MOVIE CASH TO SEE “HALLOWEEN” with the purchase of any ONE of the following movies: Halloween 4 SE, Halloween 5 SE, Halloween: 25 Years of Terror ($12.99 apiece) OR Halloween ($9.99). Minimum 4 per store. Movie Cash value = $10.50. Valid 8-31-07 thru 9-21-07. No rain checks.

--Best Buy Odds and Ends:Best Buy has a number of DVDs listed for $9.99 with which you also get a FREE $20 GIFT CARD when you buy five of those titles. Best Buy also has Angels: Seasons 1-5 and Buffy: Seasons 1-7 on sale for $15.99 apiece!

--Circuit City has a $10 instant savings this week when you buy Ugly Betty on DVD along with ANY iTunes card. In-store only. Must be purchased on same receipt.

--Circuit City is also advertising that seasons 1-9 of South Park are on sale this week. Although no price is noted, I would suspect they would be at the same $29.99 price as Season 10 this week.

--Circuit City Odds and Ends: Circuit City has a list of DVDs for sale @ $5.99 (“double feature” collections), $7.99 and $9.99 apiece.

--Target is advertising an EXCLUSIVE BONUS DVD with its copies of Ugly Betty. Includes special Q & A from The Museum of Television & Radio. Quantity limited. No rainchecks.

--Target also has an EXCLUSIVE BONUS DVD with its copies of Dexter: Season 1. Quantity limited. No rainchecks.

--Target has SPECIAL LENTICULAR PACKAGING AND A BONUS DVD with its copies of South Park: Season 10. Bonus DVD includes debut episode of The Sarah Silverman Program. Quantity limited. No rainchecks.

--And, Target will reward you with a FREE $5 TARGET GIFTCARD with the purchase of EITHER House: Season 3 OR South Park: Season 10. Quantity limited. No rainchecks.

--Target Odds and Ends: Target returns to its usual selection of DVDs listed at $7.50 and $10.00 this week.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Circuit City on sale DVD items:

Wild Hogs $19.99
    TMNT $19.99
    Fracture $19.99

$5.99 Double Features (TBA):
    Class/Secret Admirer
    Desperately Seeking Susan/Something Wild
    Alien Nation/Enemy Mine
    French Kiss/She's The One
    ??/Volcano
    Rising Sun/Sugar Hill
    Vanished/Black Widow
    Class Action/Runaway Jury
    Nine Months/The Truth about Cats and Dogs
    The Edge/Tigerland
    Johnny Be Good/??
    Once Bitten/??
    Risky Business/Great Expectations
    vanished/Chain Reaction
    ??/Dying Young
    ???/???
    Planet of the Apes/Quest of Fire
    The Sure Thing/Valley Girl
    Cocoon/Cocoon 2
    Anywhere But Here/Stealing Beauty

$4.99 each:
    The Last Boy Scout
    Eraser
    After the Sunset
    The Cell
    Angel Eyes
    Under Siege
    The Exorcist
    Clash of the Titans
    Cellular
    Queen of the Damned
    Forever Young
    Absolute Power
    Empire of the Sun
    City of Angels
    i am sam
    Lean on Me
    Now and Then
    Pleasantville
    Rules of Attraction
    Kangaroo Jack
    King's Ransom
    The Upside of Anger
    Son of Mask
    Blade
    Return of the Living Dead part 2
    Money Talks
    Strange Brew
    Analyze This
    Risky Business
    3000 Miles to Graceland
    Summer Catch

-------

Best Buy on sale DVD items:

Free Movie Cash for "Balls of Fury" when you buy one of these 3 movies
    21 Grams $9.99
    Hollywoodland $9.99
    Waist Deep $9.99
    ($7.50 value. Valid 8/31/07 thru 9/21/07 in participating theaters. Minimum 8 per store. No rainchecks.)

$15.99 each:
    Angel Seasons 1 - 5
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer Seasons 1 - 7

9.99 each - Buy 5, get a free $20 gift card instantly
    The Prestige
    The Covenant
    The Guardian
    Pride & Prejudice
    X-Men, The Last Stand
    The Illusionist
    The Breakfast Club, High School Reunion Collection
    E.T.
    Invincible (Wahlberg)
    The Devil Wears Prada
    Smokey and the Bandit SE
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Step Up
    Stick It
    Aliens
    Alien Resurrection
    I Heart Huckabees
    I, Robot
    Air Buddies
    Backdraft, Anniversary Edition
    The Rhinemann Exchange
    Meatballs, SE
    Tremors, Attack Pack
    Psycho Triple Feature, (II, III, and IV)
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail, SE
    Darkman Trilogy

Free Movie Cash for Dimension's "Halloween" when you purchase one of these Halloween movies available now.
    Halloween, 25 Years of Terror $12.99
    Halloween 4, SE $12.99
    Halloween 5, SE $12.99
    Halloween $9.99
    $10.50 value. Valid 8/31 thru 9/21 in participating theaters ONLY. Minimum 4 per title per store. No rainchecks.

2 for $25 or $14.99 each:
    Handy Manny, Tooling Around
    Rocket's Firebird Rescue

300 $16.99

HD DVD:
    $34.99 each (HD DVD and DVD Combo Format)
    The Departed
    The Fountain
    Superman Returns
    Happy Feet
    TMNT
    Letters from Iwo Jima

$24.99 each
    Blue Planet, IMAX
    Blood Diamond
    Unforgiven
    Charlie & the Chocolate Factory
    March of the Penguins
    Batman Begins

Blu-ray discs: Buy 2 and Save $10, buy 3 and save $20
    $29.99 each:
    The Prestige
    Wild Hogs
    Gone in 60 Seconds (Cage/Jolie)
    Pearl Harbor
    Eight Below
    Deja Vu

---------

Target on sale DVD items:

$10 each:
    Monster House
    Devils Wear Prada
    Akeelah and the Bee
    Over the Hedge
    Charlotte's Web
    Flags Of Our Father
    Dreamgirls
    Talladega Nights
    The Holiday
    Click
    Davinci Code

$7.50 each:
    The Spongebob Squarepants Movie
    Titanic
    The Five People You Meet in Heaven
    Ultimate Avengers 2
    Robots
    Kicking and Screaming/Big Fat Liar - Double Feature

$16.99 each:
    Shooter
    Premonition

Low Price:
    Disturbia
    Are We Done Yet??

DVD SETS
    Disney Rockets Firebird Rescue $17.99
    Handy Manny Tooling around $14.99

3. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    [​IMG] The Dark Backward

Somehow I missed that one was being released

4. Bill Thomann

Bill Thomann Supporting Actor

Thanks for the Roundup. Just Robocop for me this week.

5. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    robocop again?

6. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    One more title for the Blu-Ray list: The Lives Of Others (this past year's Best Foreign Film Oscar-winner) is also coming out Tuesday:

BLU-RAY TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostcoThe Lives Of Others
    $26.99$29.99$38.96 - -

7. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Thanks as usual.

Nothing this week.

8. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

Thanks, slim pickin's this week; have to pass [​IMG]

9. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Thanks, gents!

I will be picking up Ugly Betty, but may wait for a better deal to come along (like, say, buy it in tandem with Grey's Anatomy if someone has one of those buy 2 and get $10 off promotions like they usually do.) Otherwise, I may NetFlix She to see what that is all about. This is one of those films I have been aware of my entire life, but have never seen. Ray Harryhausen references his involvement in the new colorization of She several times in the supplements of his recent 20 Million Miles to Earth DVD, so, now I am curious.

10. Shawn.F

Shawn.F Supporting Actor

Thanks for the info. Dead week aside from 'Lives of Others' (Blu-ray). Great movie.

11. Mary_P

Mary_P Second Unit

The "Serenity" Collector's Edition for me -- this will be a triple-dip for me, having already bought the R1 and R4 releases. Thanks for the tip on the Best Buy comic; I'm guessing it's material I've already seen, but what the hey.

12. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I'll be picking up South Park: Season Ten.

Just to clarify, 30 Days In Hell is a feature length making-of documentary of The Devil's Rejects (and is available as disc two in The Devil's Rejects DVD).

Thanks for the prices! [​IMG]

13. Eric_R.

Eric_R. Stunt Coordinator

Looks like SP season 10 and Serenity for the double dip.

Thanks as usual for the roundup.

14. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Serenity Collector's Edition. Just watched the film again last night, so I am primed to watch with the cast commentary on the Collector's Edition later this week.

15. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Probably bite on Serenity, just like everyone else. Nice slow week... [​IMG]

16. WillG

WillG Producer

I'm tempted to pick up Robocop, but I would rather get it on Blu-Ray, anyone have any idea if it's going to be released?

17. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
  18. Mary_P

Mary_P Second Unit

Just picked up the "Serenity" Collector's Edition -- what an improvement on the packaging. The free comic book that Best Buy is advertising is a reduced version of the first of the three comics that came out before the movie (or the first third of the trade paperback), with a new cover. The comic is packaged with the box, shrinkwrapped onto the back of it. Kinda a drag that the trim size is slightly too tall to allow it to be stored with the discs inside the box, but that's a pretty minor nitpick.

Also there seems to be what may be an unadvertised sale at Best Buy on a bunch of TV titles at $24.99 each. I didn't get a full list, but it was a lot of Fox and Warners stuff. I picked up "Picket Fences" S1 and a friend got "The Dresden Files," though we had to turn the store upside down to find it. (If you have trouble finding it in your store, try under the "Drama" section. Er, what?) I know "Boston Legal" S1 & 2 were also on the list.

Mary

19. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Thanks, Mary! I've been looking for a good deal on Boston Legal: Season 2. Was thinking about waiting until Season 3 hits the streets (to see if there would be any package deals)...but my wife and I are chewing through season 1 at a record clip! [​IMG]

20. Mary_P

Mary_P Second Unit

The $24.99 sets are listed at Best Buy's website:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....equestid=31590

In somewhat more organized form:

Boston Legal S1, 2
    Dresden Files S1
    Fall Guy S1
    Kyle XY S1
    Law & Order SVU S3
    Magnum P.I. S4
    Monk S1, 2, 3, 4
    My Name Is Earl S1
    Nip/Tuck S1, 2, 3
    The Office S2
    One Tree Hill S1, 2, 3
    Picket Fences S1
    Rockford Files S3
    Scrubs S3
    Smallville S1, 2, 3, 4, 5
    Stargate SG-1 S8
    Supernatural S1
    The Unit S1
    Weeds S2
    Will & Grace S6

And, hey, it's nice to be able to point *you* in the direction of a deal for a change! Thanks to you and Patrick for the detailed information every week -- it's much appreciated!

Mary