What's new

Weekly RoundUp 4-8-2008 (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Just Perry Mason for me. I also went broke buying a whole lot of Star Trek on Amazon for $35 and some change, for each season.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I could be wrong but I don't think there's a Target exclusive bonus disc with either version. The ad reads "Exclusive calendar and bonus disc with Walk Hard standard DVD". To me, that means you buy the two disc and the exclusive is the calendar (and the 'bonus' disc is just disc two and what you'd get anywhere else).

For the past few months, I've seen a number of Target ads that have been deliberately vague so it sounds like they have an exclusive bonus disc when they don't. And when they do have an exclusive bonus disc, they become much less vague and it's very clear that it's a Target exclusive disc.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll do what I can to check on that Target question.

Here's some information that would havebeen much more pertinent in last week's RoundUp.

I was in both a Border's Store and an FYE (TransWorld) store yesterday and found Sweeney Todd exclusives in both! Borders has a behind-the-scenes booklet attached to their 2-disc copies. FYE has exclusive steelbook packaging for their 2-disc SEs. Kind of surprising they didn't make bigger deals about those--especially FYEs packaging. People seem to love the steelbooks.

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
So Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story is the same price at Circuit City for either the 1 disc or 2 disc version?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Here's the proof, Nick. I cannot guarantee what you'll find when you walk into your local Circuit City...but they've been advertising these prices on their website for several days now.

1-disc $15.99
2-disc $15.99
Blu-ray $34.99
UMD $24.95

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
I didn't doubt you, I just don't understand how they plan to sell any 1 Disc set if they are sitting next to the 2 Disc set (which includes the theatrical cut from the 1 disc set)

u56216ihps6at4.jpg
u56206iidg3pt2.jpg

I guess some people may not know the difference and just go with whatever cover is more pleasing to them.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
loss leader, cheap first week to get [oeple in then regular price next week.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Knowing CC, they'll probably stock 1 copy of the 2-disc and 20 of the 1-disc, so most folks won't have the choice anyway.

BTW, Costco also has a Sweeney Todd exclusive, a hardcover behind-the-scenes book. At least I *think* it was Sweeney Todd.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

I Can't believe they still try to get that much for the PSP Version, with the PSP Slim enjoying a Boon of Sales now you'd think they'd rethink their Stupid Price point. Make it a $12.95 Retail so it streets about $9.95 or less that's the price point for a UMD Movie

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

THAT is a market I have never come close to understanding. I agree with you 100%, Dave. I would think many people who might watch a movie on a PSP can also probably download that movie onto their iPod. Since movies are incidentals to the game-console-at-hand, I would think "affordable" would move a lot more units. I'll be surprised if it's a format that lasts much longer.

But, as I said, I don't really understand the market.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Given my experience with the 2-disc of "The Mist" at CC, their online price does not always match their in-store price. That week, they had the 2-disc priced at $19.99 online, but it rang up at $24.99 regular price in the store. They did end matching the web price, though, after I brought it to their attention.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Their flyer this week sure makes it look like they mean $15.99 for the 2-discer of Walk Hard. They could argue the point, but based on usual techniques, the flyer would lead me to believe that the on-line pricing situation is correct.

I am anxious for someone to report-in who has been to CC today.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
They didn't have either version of Walk Hard at the Circuit City in my area. If they only had the one disc, I could buy into a conspiracy theory but as of now, I'll just figure it's a usual CC screw up. :)

And the exclusive version of Walk Hard at Target only has a calendar. The bonus disc they're referring to in the ad is just disc two. The sticker on the packaging is much less vague than the ad.

Kevin Linke

Agent
So CC had the two disc at the store in Albuquerque, and it was 15.99. It rang up that way, and I didn't have to tell them the price. They also gave me a pass to see Forgetting Sarah Marshall early for doing some online survey.

Another thing that was strange was that it seemed like they didn't even have the 1 disc set at the store. All I saw was a large display with the special edition.

SeanC

Agent

Travis, how much is it selling for at Target? My local Circuit City is far away from my Target/Best Buy, and I'm wondering if I need to make the trip out there!

Kevin Linke

Agent
I bought The Water Horse at Target. Walk Hard was 16.99 at my local Target. So it's only like a dollar difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks