His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

Weren't those the Elit Vodka ads, Adam?
[/QUOTE]

We had both, but it was mainly the Elit ads (and maybe some other one) that caused the most problem w/ slowdowns.

The Canada travel ad was annoying because it did this mouseover- fanout-popout-type thing that expanded well beyond the original ad spot *plus* was a talkie video flash ad that you couldn't easily ignore (unless you mute your computer).

IIRC, there was also some Viewsonic(?) flash ad that bugged some folks w/ hummingbirds(?) or some such -- I don't recall getting that one myself, but saw screenshots of it.

_Man_

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I'm seeing that new flash ad at the bottom of the right side that Man is referring to. I'm also seeing a new one (new to me, anyway) at the top of the right side. Oddly, I'm still not seeing the HTF Shopping Cart with Amazon link that started this whole thing.

(Edited this response to test another issue we're talking about in another thread.)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The generic Amazon link that Mike posted isn't working for me. Can I click on any Amazon link displayed here to make an HTF-tied purchase, or do those only work for the displayed products?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
By the way, having just read (a couple of times) and posted in this week's roundup thread, I'd hazard a guess that the extremely long load times for page 1 are due in some measure to Mike's extensive information at the top of the thread. Though why that should have to be the case, I don't know. But not only is the page loading time really long -- it takes an equally long time for a response to go through after clicking on "submit". Not a criticism, just an observation!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I doubt it has too much to do w/ Mike's main post (although maybe a smaller file size for the top WRU logo image might be good). I checked the various movie still image file sizes included, and they don't seem too much bigger than usual, if at all -- the new/current week WRU does have some larger file sizes, including the Bambi YouTube embed, but that wouldn't (directly) impact this thread (although it might indirectly cause traffic bottleneck at the host servers).

In general, I'd recommend keeping all those JPEGs under 100K each -- probably even under 70K each and less for B&Ws -- since they don't need the higher quality of high res image stills.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the extra flash ads are contributing to part of the problem, if not most of it, since the slowdown is happening all over the site (though maybe not as badly as the WRU main post) -- and it probably varies depending on how many offending flash ads show up (and how many uncached, HTF-hosted embedded images as well of course).

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks