What's new

Weekly RoundUp 12-8-2009 (1 Viewer)

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
Getting Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (3-disc) BD from Amazon and some version of Lost Season 5 on BD:

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

--Amazon & BestBuy.com have something known as a Lost: Season 5 Dharma Initiative Orientation Kit:

I think this would be something right up my alley but I haven't heard very much about the extras in the kit. Is it worth an extra $40.

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
Thank you, that does help. Anyone know about the VHS tape (unless I missed the mention in the two links above) I still have a VCR connected to my SDTV so I would be able to check it out (if it is an actual VHS tape) I don't have a record player so if that is a real vinyl Geronimo Jackson album I won't be able to listen

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Nick T Robot

Thank you, that does help. Anyone know about the VHS tape (unless I missed the mention in the two links above) I still have a VCR connected to my SDTV so I would be able to check it out (if it is an actual VHS tape) I don't have a record player so if that is a real vinyl Geronimo Jackson album I won't be able to listen
I could be wrong but I think the Geronimo Jackson disc is a CD that is designed to look like a record. In the pics, the disc and sleeve are the same size as the DVD sleeves.

The VHS tape is real and it's the tape for the Barracks (which I think was seen in The Man Behind The Curtain from the third season).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by David Norman

The WM vs Amazon price diff gets a bit strange when you include sales tax, possibly free shipping with Amazon, and counter that with
Bing Cash Back of 20% if you do such things. WM as low as 12.26 (+tax of 8% for me) if you don't mind waiting.

I'm still hoping to get Target to make a deal and very nice this week since WM actually has a print ad to carry into the store.

If I could figure out a way around the 60 days to get the money issue with Bing I'd be more likely to use it regularly, but so far I'm at a loss.
Hmmm... I do use Bing as well, but hadn't considered buying movies from WM w/ it -- didn't realize it was that high (at 20% back).

How is WM's site for making actual orders (and tracking them, canceling them, etc) along w/ shipping, customer service, etc? Are they actually comparable to Amazon? If yes, I'll have to seriously consider ordering from them instead of Amazon in the future. I'm paying sales tax either way anyway, and it's not always easy to meet the $25-requirement for free shipping from Amazon.

BTW, does WM normally offer free shipping?? I just checked a handful of titles, and they all offer free shipping right now.

Certainly good to have a solid alternative to Amazon, not just rely on Amazon to PM WM.

RE: the 60-day wait for Bing, yeah, would be nice if we don't have to wait so long. Not sure how exactly they determine the wait period, but I did receive some near-instant cashbacks a few times before -- mainly for eBay purchases, but maybe there was one other non-eBay one. I also noticed they now(?) have some option to sign up for instant cashback for some (very?) select online shops/dealers, if you pay w/ PayPal. Maybe that's what I had before they turned it into an opt-in "program".

Hmmm... I don't see WM on Bing's cashback stores listing. Are you sure Bing includes WM (at 20% back no less??)?

_Man_

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
"Best Buy, this week, has an EXCLUSIVE BONUS DISC, PACKAGING & DHARMA LUGGAGE TAG with it's copies of Lost Season 5. Bonus disc includes additional scenes and content including Lost on Location: This Place is Death -- an inside look at a landmark episode and return of the smoke monster. Minimum 4 Blu-ray discs per store. "

Oh those Best Buy Blankers!

Just when you think it's safe to put something on your Xmas list for others to handle, they pull you back in.

I'll be there at whatever-A.M. is required.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong

Hmmm... I do use Bing as well, but hadn't considered buying movies from WM w/ it -- didn't realize it was that high (at 20% back).

How is WM's site for making actual orders (and tracking them, canceling them, etc) along w/ shipping, customer service, etc? Are they actually comparable to Amazon? If yes, I'll have to seriously consider ordering from them instead of Amazon in the future. I'm paying sales tax either way anyway, and it's not always easy to meet the $25-requirement for free shipping from Amazon.

BTW, does WM normally offer free shipping?? I just checked a handful of titles, and they all offer free shipping right now.

Certainly good to have a solid alternative to Amazon, not just rely on Amazon to PM WM.

RE: the 60-day wait for Bing, yeah, would be nice if we don't have to wait so long. Not sure how exactly they determine the wait period, but I did receive some near-instant cashbacks a few times before -- mainly for eBay purchases, but maybe there was one other non-eBay one. I also noticed they now(?) have some option to sign up for instant cashback for some (very?) select online shops/dealers, if you pay w/ PayPal. Maybe that's what I had before they turned it into an opt-in "program".

Hmmm... I don't see WM on Bing's cashback stores listing. Are you sure Bing includes WM (at 20% back no less??)?

_Man_
The 20% BCB is I'm sure was temporary, but it was there yesterday 9long threads on SD and FW sites). I can't seem to find it now however so maybe it was a Weekend Only. Oh yeah, the other thing I hate about Bing -- this on/off hidden ball trick is more than aggravating.

Shipping straight to store is free, but normally you pay for shipping the few times I've ordered from Walmart (only 3 or 4 times actually). I can't remember what the tracking was, but the Ship to Store often said 10 days or more, but it was usually 3 or 4 days.

I can't compare really to Amazon. Since I have prime (I think Amazon still has a 30 day Free Prime Trial ongoing) and no sales tax via Amazon and in the past, WM has virtually never been competitive I have never used them. The few times I have returned things to WM it's been relatively painless as long as I had the receopt -- other than having to force myself to go to the B&M store. Right now I'd say WM is/was a reasonable option, but I'd be shocked to see that is more than a temporary effect.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I happened to be in my local Best Buy tonight (left empty-handed) and saw a shelf notice that said that they advertised the complete series of Seinfeld for $99.99 and that there was a shortage of them going to their stores. They said on the shelf tag that they decided--as an alternative--to offer to sell the individual season sets of Seinfeld (all nine seasons/eight sets) for $99.99.

Just in case anyone's interested.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
"Best Buy, this week, has an EXCLUSIVE BONUS DISC, PACKAGING & DHARMA LUGGAGE TAG with it's copies of Lost Season 5. Bonus disc includes additional scenes and content including Lost on Location: This Place is Death -- an inside look at a landmark episode and return of the smoke monster. Minimum 4 Blu-ray discs per store. "

I just came from Best Buy and my location did indeed only have four or five of the BluRays with the Bonus Disc. The Bonus Disc is described as being about 20 minutes in length, and it is a DVD not a BluRay (even on the BluRay version), and it is easily recognized because it is affixed to the back of the box under the shrink wrap.

Look for a large cardboard display in an aisle.

The case of the exclusive season 5 at Best Buy is cardboard rather than plastic (and has a shimmering silver circular logo on it rather than the city/island cast photo). I prefer the plastic cases a lot, so I almost changed my mind about getting the Best Buy Exclusive, especially when I saw that the Exclusive Bonus Disc was just a DVD.

But I went ahead and got it anyway... and then lucked into getting seasons 1-5 in their nice plastic cases in the Amazon Deal of the Day for $108! So I'll be doing a little mixing and matching.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, my location is a small one. Plenty of the DVD versions though (as if anyone would buy LOST in regular def!).

Jeff Meyers

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon ">[/url]

I'll be picking up HP on blu at W-M. Can't beat that $15. Wonder if Amazon'll be matching that price for it's pre-orders?!?

[/QUOTE]Amazon dropped the price on the Blu-ray of HPatHBP to $14.99.

Link:

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
Stopped by Best Buy and did not see the Dharma Initiative Orientation Kit in either BD or DVD. I wanted to see it in person for myself before deciding. Anyone see it?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Stopped by Best Buy and did not see the Dharma Initiative Orientation Kit in either BD or DVD. I wanted to see it in person for myself before deciding. Anyone see it?
Around me, Best Buy had the Dharma DVD box but they didn't have the Blu-ray box set.

And FYI, it didn't have the Best Buy bonus disc.

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Will_B

The case of the exclusive season 5 at Best Buy is cardboard rather than plastic (and has a shimmering silver circular logo on it rather than the city/island cast photo). I prefer the plastic cases a lot, so I almost changed my mind about getting the Best Buy Exclusive, especially when I saw that the Exclusive Bonus Disc was just a DVD.
I purchased the Best Buy Lost Season 5 BD set with bonus DVD and luggage tag, the circular lighthouse/compass cover is just a slip case that covers the standard Lost BD city/island cover which is also a slip case. Once you get past those two slip cases you get a BD plastic case just like the other seasons of Lost.

I decided the Dharma Box was not worth the extra $40 to me. Pretty interesting though and much larger than I thought it would be.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jeff Meyers

Amazon dropped the price on the Blu-ray of HPatHBP to $14.99.

Link: Harry Potter HBP

No idea how long Amazon is going to hold this price, so order it soon.

PriceMatched with the Walmart ad at Target, then applied the $5 coupon and OTD for 10.80. This is definitely a YMMV deal since some Target will insist on applying the coupon first then the PM.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

I purchased the Best Buy Lost Season 5 BD set with bonus DVD and luggage tag, the circular lighthouse/compass cover is just a slip case that covers the standard Lost BD city/island cover which is also a slip case. Once you get past those two slip cases you get a BD plastic case just like the other seasons of Lost.]
Thank you for the info! They really disguised it well. I ended up returning it to Best Buy, since I have that Amazon 1-5 set on order now.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Thanks as always guys. Glad to see the regular new release prices now trending under $20 and the pre-orders going even cheaper. It's been a long wait but the light is there at the end of the tunnel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks