What's new

Weekly RoundUp 1-2-2007 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The Weekly RoundUp

The Features

– Samuel L. Jackson (Snakes on a Plane – 2006)

The Prices

SD-DVD TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostcoArtie Lange’s Beer league$16.99$16.99$17.99 - - Balzac$9.98$8.99$9.99 - - The Covenant$16.99$16.99$17.99$16.99 - The Darkroom$17.99$14.99$15.99 - - Dark Portals: The Chronicles of Vidocq$24.29$23.99$19.99 - - Glory SE (Repackaged)$20.99$24.99$24.99 - - Love’s Abiding Joy$14.99$14.99$19.99$19.99 - Martin: Season 1$20.99$24.99$21.99$22.99 - My Big Fat Greek Wedding SE$18.74 - - - - Seven Swords$18.69$19.99$19.99 - - Shottas$16.99$19.99$19.99$16.99 - **Snakes on a Plane$16.98$16.99$14.99$16.99 - Sparkle$14.99$17.99$15.99 - - This Revolution$22.49$9.99$19.99 - -

HD-DVD TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostcoNone this week. - - - - -

BLU-RAY TITLEAmazonBestBuyCrcCityTargetCostcoThe Covenant$27.25$29.99$38.95 - -

The Disclaimer Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

"LP" in the RoundUp table means a store’s Sunday flyer says "Low Price". That means I could not locate a definite price for the item, and the ad is all I have to go on. Retailers use these phrases in advertisements so that they do not violate MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreements with the studios. Doing so can cost them thousands or even millions of dollars in co-op advertising funds.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, as always, Circuit City does not guarantee their sale prices in Hawaii.

The Specials

Happy New Year!

**BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL! Snakes on a Plane is available in both OAR and MAR versions...get the correct one .

--Amazon.com continues their special offer on Blu-Ray & HD-DVD discs: Save an additional 10% on all of your Blu-ray & HD-DVD Disc purchases for the next year. Purchase three Blu-ray or HD-DVD Discs right now, and you'll automatically qualify to receive an additional 10% off all of your high-definition DVD purchases for one year. To receive a 10% discount on your three high-def Discs upon checkout, use this claim code: HDDISC10. Go HERE for details.

--Some mixed messages from my sources this week on the release of the SE of My Big Fat Greek Wedding and the title Seven Swords. Since the price table was rather light this week, I threw them in anyway…but, be aware, they may not be available.

--At Best Buy, save $3 on ANY Disney DVD with the purchase of EITHER Cars OR Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest ($19.99 apiece). Must be purchased on same receipt.

--It is the return of the 2/$20 deal @ Best Buy! Buy The Covenant ($16.99) and ONE of the following two DVDs ($9.99 apiece) and get the two DVDs for $20: Candyman SE, I Know What You Did Last Summer. Must be purchased on same receipt.

--And, the same kind of deal for the snakes! Buy Snakes on a Plane ($16.99) and ONE of the following five DVDs ($9.99 apiece) at Best Buy and get the two DVDs for $20: The Negotiator SE, 187, Deep Blue Sea, Menace II Society, The Long Kiss Goodnight.

--How about 2/$10? Pony up to the blue shirt bar and score the following two titles ($12.99 apiece) for just $10!: Higglytown Heroes: On the Move, Higglytown Heroes: To the Rescue.

--Best Buy has a deal on a number of recent releases which are marked at $19.99. Buy any 2 titles from the list and save $5. Buy any 3 titles from the list and save $10. The list includes:

Superman Returns, Clerks II, Miami Vice (NR), Beerfest (NR), Jackass 2 (NR), Talladega Nights, The DaVinci Code, World Trade Center, M:I III, Lady in the Water, Ice Age 2: Meltdown, Barnyard, Little Miss Sunshine, The Last Kiss.

--Best Buy Odds & Ends: Best Buy is advertising prices of $29.99 on three specific Blu-ray releases: The Descent, Transporter 2, Invincible. Best Buy also has a number of high profile $9.99 titles this week…and a number of $19.99 & $24.99 TV season sets.

Circuit City – New Year’s Eve & New Year’s Day Specials:

Hours of Operation: 10am to 6pm. (12-31-06 only)
Hours of Operation: 10am to 8pm. (1-1-07 only)

The Following DVDs $3.99 apiece:

Black Hawk Down, American Pie 2, 2 Fast 2 Furious, Anger Management, Mr. Deeds, 8 Mile, Basic, A Few Good Men.

--Circuit City has an EXCLUSIVE BONUS DVD with the purchase of Snakes on a Plane on DVD …with behind the scenes footage plus four featurettes.

--With the purchase of Artie Lange’s Beer League on DVD, Circuit City ALSO has its own EXCLUSIVE FREE BONUS “ARTIE LANGE BEER LEAGUE” T-SHIRT. While supplies last. Minimum 5 per store.

--CC has a number of TV season sets on sale for just $17.99: Firefly: Complete Series, Arrested Development: Seasons 1-3, The Shield: Seasons 1-4, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Seasons 1-7, That ‘70s Show: Seasons 1-5.

--Circuit City Odds & Ends: CC also has a special sale list of DVDs for $7.49 apiece this week.

--Another quiet week for specials at Target this week…although they have lots of LOW prices on this week’s new releases!

--Target Odds & Ends: Target has its usual assortment of $7.50 and $10 DVDs.

The Markdowns

The latest markdowns according to DavisDVD:

EFFECTIVE: January 2, 2007 (Studio/Titles/New SRP)

None to report.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Circuit City on sale DVD items:

Jackass The Movie: Number Two Low Price ($17.99)
The Descent $17.99
The DaVinci Code $17.99
Talladega Nights: Ballad Of Ricky Bobby $19.99
Invincible $19.99

$7.49 each:
Napoleon Dynamite (1st Pressing)
Ice Age
SAW (Blade Edition)
Twister
Fight Club
Michael
John Q.
Excalibur
Face/Off
Conspiracy Theory
Ghost Ship
The Glimmer Man
The Butterfly Effect
Dirty Dancy: Ultimate Edition
Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights
Miss Congeniality
A Man Apart
The Italian Job (2003)
Van Wilder (2-disc Set)
Wild Wild West
Dodgeball (1st Pressing)
Glengarry GlenRoss: Special Edition
Dave
Reservoir Dogs: Special Edition
Mercenary For Justice
The Amityville Horror (1979)
The Postman
Point Break: Pure Adrenaline Edition
The Mask
Zoolander

DVD Sets:
Firefly: The Complete Series $17.99
Arrested Development: Season 1 / 2 / 3 $17.99 each
The Shield: Season 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 $17.99 each
Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Season 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 $17.99 each
That 70’s Show: Season 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 $17.99 each

-------

Best Buy on sale DVD items:

The Descent Blu-Ray $29.99
The Transporter 2 Blu-Ray $29.99
Invincible Blu-Ray $29.99

$9.99 each: More Titles In Store or at BestBuy.com
Napoleon Dynamite (1st Pressing)
Office Space: Special Edition With Flair
Grandma’s Boy: Unrated
Pirates Of The Caribbean: Curse Of The Black Pearl
V For Vendetta
Fight Club
Lucky # Slevin
Waist Deep

$19.99 each:
Save $5 instantly when you purchase any 2 titles from the list below.
Save $10 instantly when you purchase any 3 titles from the list below.
Superman Returns
Clerks II
Miami Vice: Unrated
Beerfest: Completely Totally Unrated
Jackass The Movie: Number Two – Unrated
Talladega Nights: The Balld Of Ricky Bobby
The DaVinci Code
World Trade Center
M: I: III
The Lady In The Water
Ice Age 2: The Meltdown
Barnyard
Little Miss Sunshine
The Last Kiss

DVD Sets
$19.99 each: (More Titles In Store or at BestBuy.com)
Arrested Development: Season 3
The X-Files: Season 9
Stargate SG-1: Season 1
South Park: Season 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5

$24.99 each: (More Titles In Store or at BestBuy.com)
The Office: Season 2
Scrubs: Season 4
Will & Grace: Season 5
Alias: Season 5 – The Final Season
Beverly Hills 90210
Melrose Place: Season 1
Home Improvement: Season 5
The Golden Girls: Season 6
Weeds: Season 1
CSI: Miami: Season 1
Miami Vice: Season 1 / 2
Las Vegas: Uncut & Uncensored: Season 1 / 2 / 3
Law & Order: SVU : Season 1 / 2
Law & Order: Criminal Intent: Season 1
Law & Order: Trial By Jury – The Complete Series
Charmed: Season 1 / 2 / 3 / 4/ 5 / 6

---------

Target on sale DVD items:

Bambi $19.99
Lady & The Tramp $19.99
Lady & The Tramp II: Scamp's Adventures $19.99
The Chronicles Of Narnia: 4-disc Extended Edition $39.99

$7.50 each:
Ella Enchanted
Ray
Super Troopers
13 Going On 30
Bridget Jones' Diary: Collector's Edition
Hitch
Happy Gilmore: Special Edition

$10 each:
Racing Stripes
Pride & Prejudice (2005) (1st Pressing)
The Corpse Bride
Get Rich Or Die Trying
Monster In Law
Batman Begins
Just Friends

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Thanks, Mike and Patrick.

I thought this past week was slow, but when Snakes on a Plane is the featured release of the week, that's saying something. Not surprisingly, nothing for me.

And since Mike didn't think Martin: S1 merited a picture:

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
Just Snakes On A Plane for me from CC with bonus disc. Thanks Mike & Patrick & a Happy New Year to one & all!

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Thanks Mike and Patrick!

Nothing for me this week, but I may rent Snakes on a Plane to see what all the hullabaloo is about...

John Swarce

Second Unit
The Buffy sets at CC are the only thing that I may open my wallet for. I don't have any of them, and that is a great price. Well, I suppose Snakes will find a home on my shelf this week, too!

Thanks Mike and Patirck for your hard work throughout the year! Happy New Year to you and yours.

John

JackKay

Second Unit
Mike and Patrick, thanks for all your hard, complete and looked forward to work you guys did this past year! Sunday would not be the same without you two. All the blessings of the New Year to you!

My prediction/wish for the end of 2007 is the High Def movie list is as long as the Standard Definition one is.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I can finally say without a doubt: nothing. I've even got some dinero from BB to spend...and I'm not going to this week. It actually looks that way for at least a few weeks...

Thanks for everything guys and Happy New Year's to all.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys! At first glance I thought I might get away with no purchases, seeing as it looks like a light week for new releases. Then I saw those prices on The Shield at CC. It may be a good time for me to finally sample the show.

Of course, I will just need to find the time to watch it.

HienN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hien
Mike, minor typo: "The Covennant" should be "The Covenant"

Thanks for the regular updates and Happy New Year.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Thanks, Hien! A regular lurker?!

At least I had it correct in the Blu-ray grid!
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
Mike scurries back to the grid for the repair...

Scott: So you're telling me that Martin: Season 1 merits a picture....but you're not picking it up?!!! :laugh: Truth be told, I went looking for a pic for Martin: S1 and a couple other releases this week...but came up dry. What a week!

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Actually, it was more a joke than anything else when I indicated it merited a pic. I did watch it back in the day but I was a kid and didn't know better.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It is nice for someone to be able to see how their tastes have "matured" as they themselves have aged, eh? You old man! :D

My wife has always talked fondly of F Troop has been asking me regularly when F Troop would be coming out on DVD. Well, I recently found that rather obscure "TV Favorites" collection of F Troop episodes that was released a couple years back at a used shop and stuck it under the tree for her. As we watched the first episode unfold--one which starred Don Rickles of all people as "Bald Eagle" (son of Chief Iron Eagle of the Hekawi Tribe)--she was dumbfounded by how completely familiar it all was (she hadn't seen an episode for 25 years or so)....yet how lame it also all was! :D Sometimes memories should be best left alone!

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I know Patrick listed the following at Best Buy:Just wanted to pass along a heads-up to my fellow RoundUppers. I was in Best Buy yesterday and it looked to me like around 70% of all Fox TV DVDs were on sale for $19.99 ea. Definite sale items that I recall -- All 9 seasons of The X-Files, Space: Above and Beyond, most all seasons of The Simpsons (except the newest I believe), etc. etc. Since this is an otherwise pretty light week, if you are looking to fill in gaps in your library, you may want to check out this unadvertised, in-store sale.

BTW, I vaguely recall Space: Above and Beyond. This is Chris Carter, right? Is it worthy of a $19.99 blind buy for the complete series? How does it stack up compared to say, Firefly??

Thanks,

John Swarce

Second Unit
Gary:

If I remember correctly, it was a fairly decent series that got better as it went on. Only lasted for one year, and it did end on a cliffhanger, so be forewarned. Maybe I will pick this up. Thanks for the heads-up on all the Fox series!

John

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
AWESOME! CC has the best price on Snakes on a Plane (SoaP) AND an exclusive bonus disc!!

HOT SNAKE ACTION!!

I know what I'm doing after work tomorrow. Great start to the New Year.

And, no, I'm not kidding. Best times I've ever had at the movies. Throw back a couple drinks and see for yourself!

I may have to make my future party a Wii/SoaP affair.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks