What's new

Warner's Total HD cripples HD DVD (temporarily) and Blu-ray (permanently) (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I have no problem with flippers. None. The only problem I have is with 1st gen flippers where the movie was split over 2 sides, but most of those have been sorted out. My discs always go straight back into their cases and don't have to rest on a "table" or anything else. Besides, BD has hard coating in the spec so scratching is less of a problem. The only problems I have with scratched DVDs are on the titles my kids watch, and those DVDs are easily fixed. I don't really see any problems with THD except the possibility of increased cost. As for difficult to read hub writing, I'm approximately -6 in both eyes and have to wear contacts, but I've never had any trouble reading hub writing.

Adam_R

Second Unit

OMG! Facts? HOW DARE YOU SIR!

;)

I own both players and HATE the idea of Total HD. NOTHING in this world is free. So we are either paying more or getting less. Period.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett

So is the implication here that HD-DVD owners aren't real AV enthusiasts? Because that's what it sounds like to me. Also, why should HD-DVD owners wait for a cheaper BD player to come along and do what the A-1 can already do for a fair price? It decodes TrueHD right now, and several discs have IME tracks.

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator

In case you missed it earlier, these free titles are NOT included in sales data -- they are redeemed through a rebate as incentive to sell hardware. So the comparison is not valid, as they do NOT affect the sales data.

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator

Wow, just wow...

Let me see if I've got this straight. THD will allow HD-DVD owners the opportunity to keep their format alive until the superior format gets to the price level of HD-DVD and starts to provide the interactive features that HD-DVD already has?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Re-read my comments. If anything, I'm actually slamming current BD owners who have paid twice what the A1 costs and gotten less for their money. My point was exactly the point you were making... that it would make sense in many ways if an HD DVD owner wanted to buy a BD player... for him to wait until BD player prices fall and their featureset gets fully implimented.

As far as the reason why an HD DVD owner might want to buy (eventually) a BD player, there are some obvious answers:

1. If BD wins the war, then HD DVD enthusiasts will eventually migrate over
2. If an HD DVD enthusiast would like to watch any high-def titles by Sony, Disney, Fox, or MGM... regardless of whether BD wins "the war"...

Does that help clarify?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

This situation is exactly what I am waiting for. I was looking at the PS3, but SONY fumbled the ball a bit by not providing analog outs. I really would like a player with analog outs and full support for all audio codecs. I want the analog outs because I really do not want to replace my amp for as long as possible.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett

I understood what you were saying about TotalHD, and I agree that's the only good reason for their existence (but the negatives far outweigh that one positive). It was just the tone that I took issue with, because it seemed to imply that HD-DVD owners are somehow dealing with an inferior format and just waiting around for BD to get cheaper because that's what A/V enthusiasts really want. I disagree with this because, as you point out, both formats have big weak points. There's just this perception I'm getting from your tone that the opposite scenario wouldn't happen, so I ask you: why wouldn't a BD supporter do the same thing--buy into HD-DVD so they can watch high-def titles from all studios? I think everyone will agree that the only winners at this point are those who have bought into both formats. They may be burned later, but right now they can just sit back and let the format war play out while they just watch movies.

Also, I'd argue that the A1's inability to decode DTS-MA is a moot point, considering no (non-imported) discs even have such a soundtrack. In theory, TrueHD and DTS-MA should be exactly the same, so as long as the studios stick with TrueHD on HD-DVD, the lack of DTS-HD isn't that big a deal. HD-DVD's biggest weakness isn't technical shortcomings--it's lack of studio support.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

Can you present some hard evidence of that? In fact, while you're at it, can you present some evidence that the coupons are being redeemed in large quantities? I'm not certain, but I believe that analysis of rebates on any items turned up that a fairly significant portion of rebates aren't used even when they can be, due to the historically glacially slow turn-around and hassal of meeting all of the terms.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I have asked members at least twice now to keep their posts to the subject of this thread.

It's simply counterproductive to the forum to have basically the same discussions, about sales numbers, about the format war, about whether HD DVD buyers should buy into combos in case the format goes belly up, or indeed BD buyers should do the same in case it will be Blu-ray that will disappear (glass half-full/half-empty discussions), etc., etc, ad nauseam.

Yes, the combo may be of help to collectors in case BD fails miserably AND HD DVD is there to stay, or HD DVD will disappear AND Blu-ray will survive.
But that's the topic of several other threads.

This thread is about the alleged crippling of the formats by the fact that Warner's combo technology isn't totally ready, apparently, in one particular month: as the article referred to in the first post states.

Any facts about that issue are welcome. Please consider this a last warning in the existence of this thread.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Any more information about the Total HD after August time-frame, where we can expect more than the 25GB limitations of Warner's HD DVD/BD discs?

Paul

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
When I watch my movies, the discs are in a player, not in front of my face. When I'm not watching my movies I don't spend a lot of time staring at the disc labels.

---------------

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
So what this boils down to is that given Warners one size fits all policy THD will underutilize both formats to 25G. Yipee. :thumbsdown:

Hopefully this POS doesn't get off the ground.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Most films do not require over 25 GB. We talk, it seems, endlessly on the subject of disk space, but the simple fact is that over 95 % of all films clock in (well) under 2 hours. This means, even with a lossless track or two, there should be no issues with a 25/30 GB disk. If required, the studio will put out a second disk for special features, but I doubt it would be required on most releases.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
:rolleyes:

Or they won't use the combo for that. Or put it on a 30Gb/50Gb disc when that one is ready for production.

Cees

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Cees is right. What's the big deal if it's just a few months before 50GB BD/30 HD DVD combo discs arrive? Big-whoop. WB will just wait on those titles that need more room until dual-layer BD combo-discs are being manufactured. What's the big deal?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I also didn't read anything in that article that they intend to develop a 30/50 disc. Was there another announcement I missed or are people just assuming this?

Of course we all know a 2nd disc won't affect the price.

Fozziwig

Agent
Real Name
Guy

And the studios are in full agreement with you which is why they don't waste money putting full colour artwork on their discs. Hey, wait a minute, they do!

I didn't ask for it (although I like the artwork and I think it adds value to the product). I know you didn't ask for it. So, why do they do it?

Over to you for the answer. (Hint: studios like to make money.)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
This whole thread is late to the game. When THD was first announced we knew then that single-layer discs would ship first as their production would be easier. Warner stated then that within a few months they would have full capacity 30/50 HD DVD/BD production for titles that demanded it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks