What's new

Warner's Total HD cripples HD DVD (temporarily) and Blu-ray (permanently) (1 Viewer)

MarekM

Supporting Actor

uff last PM ? :)
I have to check that out, I always replied :frowning: you know that :)

I think we have to wait to see what WARNER will cook for us.

Marek

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

It is a new issue. Before the compromise was the best that HD-DVD could do using the full HD-DVD 30. Now the compromise is going to be either a single layer HD-DVD 15 or a single layer BD25. Atleast before we got the best 1 format could do. Now we get a disc that does neither format as well as it could be done.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Shawn,

Only between June and August this year! Two months and a half, or less.
Relax!
And we even don't know which titles it may affect, if any.

The article only states which technology will be "ready for the market", in June and in August (or expected to be so). No further specifics.

Cees

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Cees, you are right. We should just relax on this subject. First, we do not know if it will hit the market in June, and if it does, my guess it will only be a few targeted releases to test the market. My guess is, when they need more than 25 GD, the dual layer BD/HD disks will be ready.

And they can always include a second disk for Special Features if required.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Also, when's the last time a product has really been ready at the listed target date? ;)...

Let's face it...Warner (up to 2007) was the leader in HD optical discs. Just as they had been and remain in SD. Warner has almost always (a few bad discs for sure-Doc Hollywood anyone?;))...been consumer friendly and consistently is a fan favorite of the HTF. I don't think & hope they would bring out a sub par product.

Let's give em a chance. If it's clear that these first "tests" discs need more room, we, the market, will kindly let them know.

One word of caution though and this is for fans of both formats. Often, I see posts of concerns over a disc due to reading the specs/bit rate etc..BEFORE actually seeing it. I know there are many here that seem to get turned on by all that...:)...

When I watch a HD DVD, I am not thinking of how many bits were used and all...I am absorbed in the film.

:)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Warner has been great with SD. Their track record with HD hasn't been up to that level and if their mis-guided, compromised, LCD THD flipper makes it onto shelves they will be at or near the bottom of the list of Best HD Studios.

What a shame.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure what's happened to Warner's, but they gone from the right approach, supporting both HD formats, to forcing the consumer to choose both with THD. Even as someone who has choosen to support Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD currently, I want nothing to do with THD.

Currently, I am enjoying content while this whole, stupid format war sorts itself out. That is how I vote currently, as well. I vote for whichever format has more content. So, I mainly purchase BD now, with the exception being those HD DVD exclusives I feel I need to own. How can I feel like I have a voice in this format war if I'm forced to buy both with THD. I guess by not buying THD, and that is what I plan to do...

Wet1

Grip
Real Name
Scott
That's my stance as well, them offering crippled THD only makes it easier for me to pass them up. :)

Fozziwig

Agent
Real Name
Guy
And on the subject of THD. Here's an imaginary comparison of a single format LOTR HD set Vs. the THD version. Spot the difference?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Question,

I remember distinctly hearing industry confirmation that Total HD would be able to encompass dual-layer structure for both format-sides (ie, 30GB HD DVD/50GB BD). Has this changed?

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator

It's amazing how many "new" members have been signing up in the last few months on all the HT boards, and they all seem to be experts at everything! And they also all seem to have the same lack of reading comprehension skills.

If you read my previous post earlier, I cited many facts as to why Blu-Ray's sales have been higher since January -- only one factor being the [disappointing] sales of the PS3! Let me reiterate for you:

1) 5 rebate forms packaged with every PS3 sold towards BD movie purchases. Research data company estimated that 41% of PS3 owners took advantage of this rebate. Translation -- at least 200,000 BD movies purchased were done so at half price courtesy of these rebates!

2) Sony sponsored (2) "Buy1, Get 1 Free" deals at Best Buy retailers nationwide on 2 seperate weeks. Also sponsored the same deal for a week at Fry's retailers!

3) Sony & Fox, collectively, have sponsored a current "50% Off" sale on amazon.com for FORTY-NINE Blu-Ray movie titles! This is approximately 30% of the format's entire library of available films -- all at 50% off!

4) HD-DVD had fewer than HALF the amount of new titles since January than Blu-Ray. This situation changes beginning March 27th, and as such, the sales disparity will also change between the formats!

These 2 formats are a mere blip on the radar when compared to DVD sales, and they will continue to be for years! HD-DVD has shown the usual growth for a new format, and this growth is what led to the estimate of 1.7 million players by year's end. They didn't simply pull these figures out of thin air, as you imply. I'm sure a studio's executive consultant has a better grasp on the hi-def situation than you do! After all, he estimated 22% of PS3 owners are buying BD movies while Sony claimed it was 80%! Do the math and it becomes very obvious that Sony is the biggest bulls**t artist on the planet.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

yes they pull these figures out of air, because there is no evidence to back up their statement about 1.7 players by year's end.....

M.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Marek. these are projections, not facts. Of course there is never any way to 'prove' projections. All you can do is evaluate the figures and trends they are basing the projections on. If they seem reasonable, then you go with them, if not, you can discount them.

Since these come from an HD supporting group, I would view them with a grain of salt, kind of like I viewed Sony's projections of PS3's with a grain of salt.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
As I understand from reading the news surrounding the announcement, it will come at a later date. While, to me, it seemed Warner was excited about the Single-layer BD/Single-layer HD and Single-layer BD/dual-layer HD formats, they tended to be more luke warm on the dual-layer HD/dual-layer BD disks.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

I purchased the PS3 and didn't get any coupon to my memory. I certainly haven't use it! Nor have I purchased any BD titles at 50% off sales. In fact, coast of software has had no bearing in my BD purchases whatsoever. If I want a title in HD, I buy it on BD. In fact, unheard of for me with DVD, many of my BD purchases were at near-RETAIL prices because I was driving by the BEST Buy and got bitten by the "must stop and buy a new Blu-ray disc!" bug and had to pull over!

;)

Regardless of whether my experience is typical of the BD consumer, I can assure you that the rise in BD purchasing is not due to the discounts of BD software quoted above. The PS3 being released... most definitely *that* has been a factor.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

I would imagine that just like with their BD software, they'll start by releasing Total HD discs that only require 25GB of space, and hold off on titles that need more space for dual-layer (BD side) Total HD replication.

What irks me most is that in the long-run this will mean that Warner limits its content to what can fit into the space *and* bandwidth of a 30 GB HD DVD. A disc like Chicago, for instance, would be impossible on Total HD for either side because it's bandwidth and bit-space exceed HD DVD 30GB (even with lossless audio compression versus LPCM).

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons

As I said: this is a non-issue. And as I also said before: the article only states which technology will be "ready for the market", in June and in August (or expected to be so).
No further specifics, no titles.

This thread is getting so far off its trail, and apparently my friendly invitation in post #17 didn't work either, that I must ask everyone more urgently now, to only discuss the topic at hand.
Thanks for understanding.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks