What's new

Warners Next Box Set? (1 Viewer)

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

Count me in to buy Fedora if it ever sees the light of day on DVD. I hope Warners can resolve the rights problems that have apparently held it up.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell

I believe this title (and Wuthering Heights) is owned by Sony now. I wish they'd get a move on it and release Pride and Prejudice and Wuthering Heights.

Andy

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

I'm hoping INSIDE DAISY CLOVER is part of that release. The laserdisc is fine, but I'm sure the DVD will look twice as wonderful.

Is that one of Robert Redford's early movies?

i would have loved to have seen Natalie Wood with Paul Newman in the Young Philadelphians.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Let me add EXECUTIVE SUITE to my William Holden box. I understand that the late Robert Wise did an audio commentary for it many years ago. Wise was the Commentary king for both ld and dvd.....What about the Robert Mitchum box? HOME FROM THE HILL, THE LUSTY MEN, THE SUNDOWNERS, THE YAKUZA, MACAO, BLOOD ON THE MOON (with ld commentary by the still ubiquitous Robert Wise).

Corey

Screenwriter
other than those stewart and reagan sets, its been very dry on the classic sets from WB. i'm anxious to know whats being released in the autumn.

Claude North

Second Unit

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they own SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS, INSIDE DAISY CLOVER, PENELOPE, SEX AND THE SINGLE GIRL, GYPSY, and THE GREAT RACE. They might own others, but I'm guessing the box set would focus on her adult roles from the 1960s.

As for WEST SIDE STORY, I know the old VHS version was released by MGM, but I don't remember if it's an MGM that went to Warners, or an MGM/UA that went to Sony

DaveK

Second Unit
When will the Maisie boxset be released???

Are they planning to release the Dr. Gillespie movies with the Dr Kildare boxset?

Corey

Screenwriter

well WB said that the andy hardy set would come out in 2007 or 2008, so i'm assuming they would be working on the maisie and dr. kildare sets as well, too. each set would take at least 18 months to complete.

Corey

Screenwriter

-sex and the single girl
-penelope
-inside daisy clover
-all the fine young cannibals
-splendor in the grass (deluxe edition)

that would be my ideal set

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Good question. I suspect the sets are at least 2 years away. Warners has a pretty ambitious slate of "series" films lined up for the next couple of years. The RKO Tarzans are going to be rolled out starting in 2007. The Bowery Boys series was supposed to be released this year and the Monogram Charlie Chans in 2007 however Warners is having trouble locating good prints for these series so those dates may slip.

Restoration issues may also apply to these MGM properties. The Andy Hardy films as aired on TCM definitely need some work. To be honest I wish WHV would prioriize those while Rooney and Ann Rutherford are still alive and able to contribute. Rooney is not always the most lucid storyteller these days, but a skillful interviewer could probably draw out some interesting behind the scenes antedoctes from him for use in a documentary about the series.

With the news that the Saint/Falcon & possibly the Perry Mason series are being worked on also, it almost appears that WHV is going to launch a line devoted to their various series properties. For all the glamour that their A-list properties have, those so called "B" pictures (although some qualify as A status) still have a huge fan base.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks