What's new

Warner Brothers Archives compared to Others? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys: Just wanting to get some opinions from those in the know, but how would some of you compare other film/tv companies in their MOD manufacturing processes as opposed to Warners? Warners to me is putting 100% into their releases, even though I think their tv series has been coming out more slowly than I initally thought they would, but they seem to be hitting into a higher gear the latter part of this year, as opposed to earlier on. The other studios, who's releases have popped up on Amazon.Com and elsewhere have seemed sporadic and not as well-planned out as WB's. I would love it if the Disney Studio would release "The Omega Connection," and "Earthstar Voyager" via MOD, even though most people wouldn't know what I'm talking about. There is a market for those "B" and "C" releases, but more publicity has to go out on them. Well. . . Other comments? How could the other companies do it better? James

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
I have some WB discs and a few from Sony Screen Classics. I have no complaints about either one. In some cases, the prints looked better than other vintage films on factory-pressed DVDs bought from the store. I do wish WB would begin issuing some of their vintage sitcoms on DVD like Alice, Mama's Family and It's a Living because I would be more than willing to fork over $ and those are the shows I want most. It seems they have been concentrating on hour-long dramas like Falcon Crest, Medical Center and The FBI or short-lived series like The Yellow Rose and Girl From UNCLE. While it's great that these are being unearthed and I'm happy for fans of those, they aren't exactly what I'm waiting for.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
They could do it better by pricing these more realistically and offering a "lifetime" replacement policy due to the media used. By not having to press a certain number there are *no* inventory issues which should reduce costs. I realize many of these titles *are* getting restoration and that costs $$ but I can't believe these truly cost more than a pressed release of the exact same remastered/restored title would cost. Yes, I only purchase when they are having the *very* good sales (average ~$10/title) but is seems to me that a price in the $10-$15 range should be the MSRP with "sales" in the $7-$10 range. And I'm *still* not convinced these will last as long as pressed disks.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
BobO'Link said:
They could do it better by pricing these more realistically and offering a "lifetime" replacement policy due to the media used.
Agree 100%. If they're wanting to save money by doing these MOD, then they should stand behind the product, knowing the limitations of the format, and have a no-fuss lifetime replacement warranty on discs that become defective. Barring that, they should release everything that will fit on single-layer discs so we can back them up ourselves. The use of dual-layer discs (along wth no good discounts) is what's keeping me away from Man From Atlantis for now. Not as cheap, quick and simple to do back-up clones of.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks