What's new

Warner Bros. CONFIRMS Cats & Dogs WILL BE PAN & SCAN ONLY!!! (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I've been thinking that maybe some of us Southern California people should do that, Ben. :) Since August is usually a slow news time, it might get the attention of TV channels. :)

David Oliver

Second Unit
I was thinking the same thing as I drove by their studio n the way to my rollerhockey game. Everybody let's meet at Gate 11 off Hollywood Way. Just need a date and time? Bring your pickets, bring your gas masks, bring you bandanas....let's show those Seattle Anarchists how to get real change!

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to post my disgust here as well on the whole P&S BS from Warner lately... And to top this off - I called the customer service number given on another DVD site
wink.gif
and the rep there told me it would not be P&S?!?! She asked where I got this information as it was obviously incorrect so I pointed her to the press release etc... Then she said that it actually was P&S only and she was sorry for the inconveinence... She offered to lodge my complaint and everything after that but I got the distinct impression that this was common knowledge at Warner but they were not admitting to it on purpose. To what extent I can only guess (drum up more pre-orders) but her abrupt turnaround pissed me off even more... Its a sad day when one of DVD's Pioneering studios has seeped this low.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Boo. Hiss. I'm actually thinking of purging my collection of many Warner titles. This will take even more sales from the Studio, as potential customers will buy from me instead of them.
Warner, you are doing the wrong thing. Listen to the film fans in this forum. Do the right thing. Until then, no more Warner purchases for me, NONE!

GaryEA

Second Unit
I'm sitting here, thinking to myself "how can we save The Iron Giant: SE?"
Petitions. Emails. Phone calls. We're not sure if these are having any effect on WB's (grr...) decision-making process.
But we do know that Richard Donner saved The Goonies, a disc that has me divided because they did it right, but in buying it, I'm putting money into Warner's pockets.
So how can we get the support of the creative team behind IG to hopefully create a movement from within to save this film from near-sighted business decisions?
I'm getting that ice-cream headache again. Sigh...
-g

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I signed the petition.
Number 1043.
------------------
-Dwayne
"And vidi films I would."

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
Y'know, Wolfgang Petersen just finished dealing with Warner Brothers on The Perfect Storm DVD. What's interesting about The Perfect Storm is that they were showing it IN WIDESCREEN on Pay Per View stations when it was on. I noticed it because they had a commercial at the time that boasted the widescreen format. Perhaps this means that Mr. Petersen will defend his framing for The NeverEnding Story?
Also, remember when The NeverEnding Story was first announced? Remember when DVD Review listed it as only having a pan and scan transfer? Remember when DVD Review contacted the studio (or consulted the press release, I don't remember exactly) about this, and realized that they had made an error, and that The NeverEnding Story was indeed announced as being in 2.35:1 anamorphic? With Wonka, they fudged their press release, so that we would simply assume that there would be a widescreen transfer, without specifically telling us so. With Cats and Dogs, they are coming right out and saying that it won't have a widescreen transfer. But with NeverEnding Story...they specifically corrected the mistake that said it was in pan and scan (or the press release specifically said that it would be in widescreen).
Maybe I'm just having a bit of wishful thinking, but we may not get screwed with NeverEnding Story...

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
Sigh, I'm getting tired of cancelling DVD orders. I'm getting to the point that I'm not going to order anything from WB at all. Of all the stupid things to do. If Neverending Story comes out P&S that's it, I'll go out of my way to ignore anything released from WB.

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
We need to contact Wolfgang Peterson.
And I still say that we need a total and complete BOYCOTT of Warner Bros. DVDs. NOT including NES, if it is released anamorphic. This would send a clear message to Warner to get their act straight. These petitions do jack. I signed them all, but Warner won't care.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

ChrisA

Second Unit
I just cancelled my orders. I will not buy a CROPPED, ANYTHING. Warner Brothers really is going the opposite direction FAST. Wow, amazing!
Willy Wonka order CANCELLED. They can keep that lousy version. Like I really care about how the cast looks 30 years later compared to the BUTCHERY AND CROPPING of the movie. Besides, look at "Leave it to Beaver". Sorry BEAVE! Like I really want to see the kids now anyway.
Willy Wonka, Order Cancelled, That says it all.
WIDESCREEN OR NO SCREEN
------------------
Link Removed

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
As a proud owner of a Mits 65807 I will not buy a film shot in 1.85 or 2.35 ratio, on DVD unless Widescreen Anamorphic. End of sentence . Period.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
Soon a WB "Special Edition" will just be a trailer and an AOL trial disc. Truly, truly unbelievable. Brad Bird is another person that needs to be made aware. Like Cats and Dogs, a lot of TLC went into every frame of The Iron Giant, I suspect.
------------------
"We're trying to make a movie here, not a film!"

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
As a proud owner of a Mits 65807 I will not buy a film shot in 1.85 or 2.35 ratio, on DVD unless Widescreen Anamorphic. End of sentence . Period.

Jin E

Second Unit
I'm waiting to see AOL/Time Warner release a Full Frame/ P&S only release of Lord of the Rings. That folks... would be a ugly day. I can see the firebombs going off as we speak. First Cat's and Dogs... next the Hobbits. It's a family film... right?
------------------
-Jin
My Theater

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the animated Lord Of The Rings actually being release in P&S, whereas it was widescreen in theaters?
-Tom

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I believe he is talking about the upcoming live action(and sure to kick our asses) Lord of the Rings Trilogy coming to theaters this year and so on. I dont think that one is in any danger as it is New Line, and it will be one damn fine dvd when it is released. I hope it is platinum and not infinifilm, as this movie needs multiple discs I believe.
------------------

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
A full boycott? What would that accomplish?
Boycott P&S, not Warner.
Buy the titles when Warner does them right. When they see that people buy the tiltes that have OAR and not the ones that are just P&S, then the message will be clearer.
------------------
My DVD's
If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks