What's new

Warner Bros. CONFIRMS Cats & Dogs WILL BE PAN & SCAN ONLY!!! (1 Viewer)

James David Walley

Stunt Coordinator
I believe he is talking about the upcoming live action(and sure to kick our asses) Lord of the Rings Trilogy coming to theaters this year and so on. I dont think that one is in any danger as it is New Line, and it will be one damn fine dvd when it is released.
Unfortunately, AOL Time Warner owns New Line as well. While New Line has been putting a lot of effort into their DVDs, it has been rumored for some time (at least since AOL bought Time Warner) that a cost-reducing "reorganization" of the film divisions that would shut down New Line and merge its assets into the Warner Brothers "brand" is in the offing.

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
This is amazing! I used to defend Warner Bros. Not any more!
I still won't sign the petition though...The Cats should have won!
laugh.gif

1/2 of the people in the WORLD are cat lovers, and this is most likely why the petition isn't growing as fast as Willy Wonka. This was an insulting movie to them.
[edited to reflect my self absorbed American mentality...I changed "country" with "world", Thanks Iain.
[Edited last by Trace Downing on August 17, 2001 at 03:02 AM]

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Thanks for confirming my suspicions Trace. As a cat lover and dog hater I had a feeling I'd hate this film. Boycott this pro-dog nonsense, irrespective of its aspect ratio!
wink.gif

More seriously, while I don't mind Warner knowing that I'd never buy an incorrectly framed disc, I think campaigns like this have a lot more weight behind them when you would actually buy the disc when they give in to your demands.

AdrianOC

Stunt Coordinator
I still won't sign the petition though...The Cats should have won!
Gee, thanks for spoiling the end of the film for me!
Use a spoiler tag, whydontcha!
wink.gif

------------------
"Want to hold up a bank in Latin?
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."
(I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)
My DVD List

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
OOPS. sorry about that.
blush.gif
As if you couldn't figure it out from the posters. I did.
------------------
Ta-ra-ra boomsy-ay
Did you get yours today?
I got mine yesterday.
That's why I walk this way!

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
I wanted Wonka. I really did.
I wanted South Park. Done correctly.
I wanted Friends. Done correctly
I wanted Cats & Dogs. I really did.
I was going to buy Citizen Kane. Even in a lousy snapper. With the 2nd disc in a paper sleeve. No more. Until WB shows a) the movies and b) their fans a little respect, it's going to be rare for me to even consider Warner DVDs.
Especially tragic is that in those crappy snappers are Gone With the Wind, Wizard of Oz, Citizen Kane, etc. The greatest films in the worst packaging. Maybe they can use that in their ads.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Dammit Trace! Well, at least now there's one less Warner product I need to see. A totla boycott of Warner? What would that accomplish? Well, a hell of a lot I think, if it could be pulled off. "Oh, but if the company doesn't make money, Time/AOL may just slice off the cancerous growth, and be done with Warner..." Exactly. The best thing for this company is to go under and have their assets picked up by studios that give a damn about movies and the people who watch and collect them. I love dogs, but we all know that cats are superior. Sheesh, what were they thinkin'???
wink.gif

ChrisA

Second Unit
I was not aware of this movie, nor the fact that the cats won. I have to say I am disappointed to learn the ending of the movie. I take much effort to avoid hearing anything about movies since it takes the surprise out of it. Suprise is half of the effect and fun. Can't say I'm happy knowing the ending either.
------------------
Link Removed

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Cats suck!!!!!
My cats resent that remark. :) (Now where's that puking hairball smiley??)
wink.gif

But what my cats are really getting into a hissy fit about is the treatment of this movie by Warner Bros, especially after Wonka. (Hey, kitties! Stop clawing those Snappers!! Naughty kitties!)
Read my lips Warner: "I'm not buying 'TS & DO' or "WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE F"
KJP
------------------
MAR: Mutilated Aspect Ratio. Opposite of OAR. Describes the MARring of film releases by not releasing them in the original aspect ratio.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
About the "spoiled" ending: Believe me, three minutes into this movie you'll know who the good guys are (dogs) and who the evil genius is (the cat) and who will win. Nothing has been spoiled. It's like knowing that James Bond will win over Goldfinger. (Oops! Hope I didn't spoil that movie for anyone.)
The movie itself isn't very good, IMHO. Some great visuals but the film as a whole just failed to engage us (me, my wife, and the 12-year-old girl we saw it with).
Boycotting this P&S DVD should be easy for 'most everyone.
------------------
http://www.mindspring.com/~atombrain/risenintro.html
Jan Strnad
author of Risen and
"The AtomBrain Guide to Letterboxing"

BradyB

Stunt Coordinator
damn people and there damn spoilers,
and WB, ain't getting no money from me.
Smarten up WB, if you are just going to make the movies pan and scam to begin with, force the directors you sign with to only film in 4x3, then we will see where you are in 10 years.

Rommel_L

Second Unit
If studios must do pan/scam, then give us the choice of OAR through DVD-18, 2-disc SEs (e.g. Shrek) or dual releases (e.g. The Mummy).

Amen PhilipG!!! Wasn't this one of the main objectives of DVD, to give the customer the freedom to choose on how they want to see the movie?
I'm very disappointed on your decision WB. Just like the others have said before, NO OAR, NO SALE.
-RL-

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
Is Warner still on for the chat after all this?
They are gonna get verbally raped over these trespasses.
How could they POSSIBLY even think about not including WS as the staple?
If they are gonna do this then why not show them theatrically in 4:3?
With C&D being such a brand new release there is NO excuse.
Looks like Goonies is gonna be one of my last WB purchases as well!

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Let's not forget the "deluxe" treatment that Warner gave to Superman 2, especially in light of the potential SE material for that film (due to it's problems/changes).

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Well after Ron's post about his contact with Warner, it looks like there is no hope of this film being widescreen at all
frown.gif

so, my $20 will go to Paramount, Fox, Image, Columbia or Anchor Bay :)
------------------

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
Didn't care for this movie, but I still don't like where Warner is going with this. They should at least do a 2 sided disc.
Elbert

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
This really sucks. Being that I work with Sean Hayes, the voice of the cat that wants to take over the world, I was going to buy this disc and have Sean sign it for my kids. I'm having second thoughts now. Not that my kids (2 and 6) care much about aspect ratio, I certainly do.
What I might do is talk to Sean on Will & Grace next week and see what he thinks about the whole mess. If he's getting residuals for dvd sales, he might care about how the disc is released. Then again, he might not.

alan-g

Auditioning
It seems that roadshow will be releasing this in region 4 in 16x9 widescreen with heaps of extras.
This is why regions suck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks