What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: The Clock (1945) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Don't know if this is true but supposedly Gloria Swanson said to Holliday on the night of the Oscars that she hoped that she herself Gloria would win. She said to Holliday you're young and will have opportunities in the future. Of course then it turns out Swanson would live many years after Holliday had died.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I bought Night Of The Hunter Criterion a while back. Will have to watch it again- it’s been forever. So many films, so little time.
A bit off topic, but if we’re talking Oscar snubs, I think Gloria Swanson should have won for Sunset Boulevard- she was amazing.
Another theory for Kelly's win over Garland that I've read is that she had two studio's voting blocs routing for her, MGM where she was under contract and Paramount where she made The Country Girl. Still a travesty.
Academy has always been crazy --- to think Cary Grant never got an Oscar, and all the others too any award that slaps their own backs is just a sham should have always been based on Box Office success true measure of success not a bunch of actors or actresses picking and now with goodie bags being sent to voters with a copy of the film is just buying votes

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
A bit off topic, but if we’re talking Oscar snubs, I think Gloria Swanson should have won for Sunset Boulevard- she was amazing.
Swanson was excellent in Sunset Boulevard but it was essentially a one note performance. To her credit, she played that one note impeccably. The Oscar should have gone to Bette Davis for All About Eve. Desperate, vulnerable, angry. defeated, vindicated ... she ran the gamut.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Hell, Robert Mitchum was nominated just once and he delivered his dialog like he wasn't acting.
So many great films --- heck I even like him in Holiday Affair --- he was great in The Longest Day never a bad performance. Thinking of the great Red Buttons line "He never even got a dinner" and Red Buttons did win an Oscar!

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Swanson was excellent in Sunset Boulevard but it was essentially a one note performance. To her credit, she played that one note impeccably. The Oscar should have gone to Bette Davis for All About Eve. Desperate, vulnerable, angry. defeated, vindicated ... she ran the gamut.

Some performances transcend the Oscars. Swanson's and Mitchum's are two great examples of that phenomena.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Don't know if this is true but supposedly Gloria Swanson said to Holliday on the night of the Oscars that she hoped that she herself Gloria would win. She said to Holliday you're young and will have opportunities in the future. Of course then it turns out Swanson would live many years after Holliday had died.
Ironically, Judy never received another Oscar nomination though she did win a Tony for Bells Are Ringing. Gloria actually received three Best Actress nominations across her career.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Anne Baxter was also nominated as Best Actress not Best Supporting Actress for "All About Eve" and therefore probably split the vote with Davis. Also Davis was not under contract to Fox so their voting block probably wasn't going to vote for her. Baxter, I think, was still under contract to Fox. As far as Garland and "A Star Id Born" I have heard the reasons why Grace Kelly may have won over Garland as mentioned earlier in this thread. Other reasons mentioned are the film being cut shortly after release was detrimental to her performance and that probably due to the film's cost it was not a money maker for Warner Bros in it's initial release.

Irene Dunne, Doris Day, Barbara Stanwyck, and Deborah Kerr are some of the people that never won a competitive Oscar.

Last edited:

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
The Clock didn’t receive any Oscar nominations, but the National Board of Review named it one of the top ten films of 1945… just in case we all forgot the subject of this thread 😂

Attachments

• BAEDD0DD-DBD4-4E2E-A4D8-8EF409932449.jpeg
    BAEDD0DD-DBD4-4E2E-A4D8-8EF409932449.jpeg
    1,021.9 KB · Views: 36

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
How many assistant directors do you need for the scenes in Penn Station? Much like the carnival at the end of Some Came Running.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks