What's new

Warner Archive Blu-rays vs. iTunes HD Digitals (2 Viewers)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Sounded to me like George was passing the buck, saying it is the digital platforms declining to upgrade to the new transfers. Okay, it’s good to know that Warner isn’t holding them back. I guess we need to hassle iTunes to update their files!

agreed.
Also if the studio monitors does that mean for selling the platforms the new prints? Or do they ask the platforms to replace them?

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
A nice surprise 2 weekends ago was Warner replacing my ugly 16x9 HD verisons of the 70s Wonder Woman with the beautiful OAR remastered edition of the series at no cost. Looks fantastic.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Well it looks like at least one WAC Blu-ray transfer got updated to iTunes: Jonny Quest. iTunes added the HD versions for sale. I own the SD. My SD access now appears to be the new transfers. I’m not going to pay iTunes another $25 for HD version. if I get it in HD it will probably be the Blu-rays, unless iTunes puts it on sale ridiculous cheap.
I can add to that to say The Jetsons has also had the iTunes transfers updated to the Blu-ray masters, though they aren‘t yet selling them in HD (I expect this means they will soon). So, with Jonny Quest, Wonder Woman and The Jetsons it looks like iTunes is giving more love to the TV shows that they are to the movies.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Well this is a head scratcher. Warner UK is releasing the bluray of Viva Las Vegas yet again? Like there's nothing else? They don't have it there? Or is this just about new packaging for fastest cheapest way of making more money?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well this is a head scratcher. Warner UK is releasing the bluray of Viva Las Vegas yet again? Like there's nothing else? They don't have it there? Or is this just about new packaging for fastest cheapest way of making more money?
I don't quite understand why this post is in this particular thread?

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I was looking for a recent general Warner thread but they all looked like they refered to specific titles. Maybe there was an old Presley thread I should have put it under or if I looked further back there was a Viva LV thread. Sorry. Could you let me know where it might go thanks.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was looking for a recent general Warner thread but they all looked like they refered to specific titles. Maybe there was an old Presley thread I should have put it under or if I looked further back there was a Viva LV thread. Sorry. Could you let me know where it might go thanks.
I just thought it was strange that you made a post about the UK getting another "Viva Las Vegas" Blu-ray release in this particular thread which is in the streaming area in which they're comparing digitals to Warner Archive Blu-rays.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Yeah sorry. Didn't pay enough attention. Though now I'll have to read that thread now that I know it exists.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Just now found my way to this thread...

FWIW, pretty sure I had previously mentioned this elsewhere before, but y'all might also wanna check out The Goodbye Girl (1977) on iTunes. I'm reasonably confident that's probably also sourced from the same transfer as the WAC BD (based on screencaps off caps-a-holic... since I don't actually have the BD)... particularly since that HD digital also seems to become available fairly close to the time of the BD release.

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just now found my way to this thread...

FWIW, pretty sure I had previously mentioned this elsewhere before, but y'all might also wanna check out The Goodbye Girl (1977) on iTunes. I'm reasonably confident that's probably also sourced from the same transfer as the WAC BD (based on screencaps off caps-a-holic... since I don't actually have the BD)... particularly since that HD digital also seems to become available fairly close to the time of the BD release.

_Man_
Keep thinking that, but I won't do the same.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Have you compared to see?

I'm not at all suggesting this is some kinda new norm... though it does make sense they'd use the same transfer if there was no preexisting one for HD...

_Man_
I don't have to, I know what's been WA policy. Plus, unlike many around here, I don't put much stock into screencaps.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I don't have to, I know what's been WA policy. Plus, unlike many around here, I don't put much stock into screencaps.

But there's actually no official/stated policy that couldn't happen though, right?

In an earlier podcast from 2020, it's even suggested/claimed Warner and WAC aren't necessarily stopping that from happening...

Alright fellas - I scored one for HTF ;)

As you know Warner Archives has a great podcast talking about their new releases every week. At the end of the podcast they read listener e-mails, so about a month ago I thought what the heck and sent them one of the questions we have been talking about in this thread.

And today the read and answered it!

Fire up the episode "Dazzling Doris and Debra" and go to the 39:45 mark...

Sounded to me like George was passing the buck, saying it is the digital platforms declining to upgrade to the new transfers. Okay, it’s good to know that Warner isn’t holding them back. I guess we need to hassle iTunes to update their files!

Seems like we're all just trying to make best informed guess at Warner/WAC's MO/policy on this near as I can tell...

And again, nothing even actually has to change for them to do this for certain specific cases (where there probably was no preexisting HD master)... and this certainly makes sense and seems consistent w/ what the earlier podcast said...

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
But there's actually no official/stated policy that couldn't happen though, right?

In an earlier podcast from 2020, it's even suggested/claimed Warner and WAC aren't necessarily stopping that from happening...

Seems like we're all just trying to make best informed guess at Warner/WAC's MO/policy on this near as I can tell...

And again, nothing even actually has to change for them to do this for certain specific cases (where there probably was no preexisting HD master)... and this certainly makes sense and seems consistent w/ what the earlier podcast said...

_Man_
Believe what you want, and I'll do the same based on my experiences.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Last month's TCM tribute to William Powell included LIFE WITH FATHER. I happened to catch it an hour in. It had the color and sparkle one associates with Warner Archive releases. Having watched previous sub-par showings on TCM and then the beautiful one streaming last year on HBOMax, I believe TCM showed the WA restoration, which has yet to be released on disc.

TCM is again showing LIFE WITH FATHER on Father's Day, June 18 @ 7PM CDT. I'm going to DVR it on the off-chance I haven't just dreamed it all up.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Ok, as I was shopping thru the latest MovieZyng WAC BD sale, I decided to check out my iTunes HD digital of Dodsworth to see if I wanna buy the BD via that sale... and lo and behold, this is shown at the very beginning of the iTunes digital...

1711058293281.png

Note that according to CheapCharts and Blu-ray.com, Dodsworth didn't get released to iTunes til mid-2020 a couple months after the WAC BD release, so this jives w/ my previous hypothesis about any potential (though still rare) use of the same transfer for HD digital.

And of course, this is also an unusual(?) case where the transfer comes from some other restoration instead of Warner MPI's own in-house work, so no idea if that matters.

Interestingly, I noticed Dodsworth is apparently now on Movies Anywhere too, but somehow, my iTunes purchase from 8/2022 has not transferred (so far?).

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ok, as I was shopping thru the latest MovieZyng WAC BD sale, I decided to check out my iTunes HD digital of Dodsworth to see if I wanna buy the BD via that sale... and lo and behold, this is shown at the very beginning of the iTunes digital...

View attachment 217136

Note that according to CheapCharts and Blu-ray.com, Dodsworth didn't get released to iTunes til mid-2020 a couple months after the WAC BD release, so this jives w/ my previous hypothesis about any potential (though still rare) use of the same transfer for HD digital.

And of course, this is also an unusual(?) case where the transfer comes from some other restoration instead of Warner MPI's own in-house work, so no idea if that matters.

Interestingly, I noticed Dodsworth is apparently now on Movies Anywhere too, but somehow, my iTunes purchase from 8/2022 has not transferred (so far?).

_Man_
I have never stopped purchasing iTunes HD digitals after they have been released on Blu-ray by WA. I bought the WA Blu-ray in March 2020. On July 26, 2022, I purchased the iTunes HD digital for 4.99. Like several Warner titles in my iTunes digital library, it didn't propagate to MoviesAnywhere. Also, I have several such titles that did propagate to MA, but only are SD on Vudu. Go figure!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks