What's new

Walt Disney Story DVD-Has the aspect ratio been cropped to 2.35:1? It should be wider (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
I just watched my DVD from Disney World and I know it's a slightly different version to that shown in the park but I can't remember what ratio the park version was.

Watching the DVD in 2.35:1 it looks like there's a lot of stuff missing on the edges which is being discussed in the dialogue.

Does anyone know what ratio this should be as IMDB has nothing under Technical Specs?

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
To steal from this discussion board:
http://www.magicmusic.net/discuss/in...ay;threadid=85
The Walt Disney Story was projected through a special anamorphic lens which enabled a screen proportion of 2.67 to 1. This allowed for the unique scrapbook effect used extensively in the film, where as many as three different films would be running side-by-side as part of the same scene.

Jeff Reis

Stunt Coordinator
At the $30 that it's selling for at WDW, it's a tough call. I went ahead and picked it up and aside from the warbling 100 Years of Magic song that opens the disc, the rest of the 1st program is good footage of all 4 parks. Typical promotional material mostly, but a nice amount of inside-the-attraction stuff, with very good picture quality. The Walt Disney Story looks a little battered at times but it's great to have a film that actually ran in the parks. If you're really into the parks, you'll certainly enjoy it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's a quote from the website below:
The Walt Disney Story was projected through a special anamorphic lens which enabled a screen proportion of 2.67 to 1. This allowed for the unique scrapbook effect (seen above) used extensively in the film, where as many as three different films would be running side-by-side as part
of the same scene.
If you want a full review of the history of The Walt Disney Story, CLICK HERE
The DVD IS pricey, but like Jeff says, if you are into the parks, you'll like the DVD. ;)
Here's an EARLIER THREAD on the subject!

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info, I'm surprised I'd notice a vast difference between 2.67:1 & 2.33:1 but there seems to be quite a lot missing when they show 3 films side by side as you mention.

The link to the earlier thread mentions a Disneyland DVD, is it just like a trailer similar to the WDW film or are there any interesting bits similar to the Disney story?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't have it, but my guess is its just a DL and DCA video brochure. I have considered ordering it, but I just think the $30 price tag is a little too high for what you're getting. It's really just a souvenir of the park to help you relive your visit. A not-so-cleverly disguised advertisement toentice you to visit...again and again and again! :b

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Is this DVD available for purchase outside of the parks?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
They are only available in the parks AND by calling DelivEars for the DL/DCA version or WDW Merchandise for the WDW/Walt Disney Story DVD. Phone numbers for both of those were listed in this thread!
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks