What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

WalMart Weirdness: Indy prices all over the road. (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I happened to hit three different WalMart locations over the weekend and was surprised to find three very different prices for the Indy set.

A location in the city was only charging $38.

A near suburban location was charging $44.

A far suburban location was charging $47.

I was completely unaware of the phenomena and had been making all my purchases at the second location.

Now I'm thinking I should check the 1st location for Nemo and other future releases, unless this was a one time thing...

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.
Real Name
Patrick Lyons
Walmart began this aggravating practice about a year ago in the Denver metro area. Add this in with competitor price matching and you have a fine mess.

-Patrick

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Mentioned often in the Coupons & Bargains thread, but worth repeating...Wal-Mart has no national/standard prices. All prices, in every store, are set according to local market competition. In highly competitive areas, they will be lower. In areas where Wal-Mart may be the only nearby big-box store, they will be higher. This means that, like above, even 2-3 stores in relatively close proximity will have varying prices depending on what, if any, competitors are located next door.

They did not become the world's largest retailer by giving stuff away. Yes, they usually have the lowest prices in a competitive market, but if there's little competition they will raise their prices accordingly.

At my local W-M, which is the only discount store within a 35-mile radius, the prices are quite high (new release DVD's are routinely $19.88). If I drive to the next W-M up the interstate which competes with nearby Best Buy, Circuit City, and Kmart, the prices are noticeably lower across the board (with new release DVD's usually $14.78).

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
I know someone who worked at Target and they do this there as well. Sometimes Target would have fliers advertising Sale prices on items that were higher than the normal price at a particular store, but less then an "average" price for a region.

This wasn't just for DVDs but the store in general.

They are building a Wal-Mart less than a mile from my Local Target (in the place where a K-Mart used to be) I wonder if this will affect prices (Target used to have some great prices on DVDs, but Best Buy's been getting all my buisness lately)

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
All prices, in every store, are set according to local market competition. In highly competitive areas, they will be lower. In areas where Wal-Mart may be the only nearby big-box store, they will be higher.
i had the opposite experience when shopping for Indy. the first Walmart i went to had it for $45 and is in the third largest city in the state, with all the "big-box" competitors nearby. the next Walmart i went to had it for $39 and is located in a small town with zero "big-box" competitors. it is safe to say, however, that Walmart prices vary from store to store.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Either that store is not following corporate policy, or the prices in that area are inflated in all stores allowing for the higher price points.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
The local Wal-Mart is charging $46.82 for the sets - full screen sets all over the place, only a couple of widescreen sets in stock. And this was a good five days before the 21st. I'll just leave it at that.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Either that store is not following corporate policy, or the prices in that area are inflated in all stores allowing for the higher price points.
Yes, and as far as the lower price in a remote area:

Prices will also be affected by the amount Wal-Mart thinks the population is willing to pay or able to afford. A Wal-Mart with no competition in a relatively wealthy area will still have higher prices, and the price at a Wal-Mart in a poorer area will be lower.

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
My local Eckerds had it for 34.99.....

I saw it after I already dropped 44.99 on it at walmart.

Yet after viewing them I dont care. :)

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
I wasn't really interested in buying the set until
I was wandering through my local Wal-Mart (in Exton, PA)
and they were selling it for $34.87! Well the set
magically sprouted legs and jumped into my cart. :D

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yep, I bought my set at a local walmart for $35.98. But I've seen another walmart in town have it at $44.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks