WalMart Weirdness: Indy prices all over the road.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Frank@N, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Frank@N

Frank@N Screenwriter

I happened to hit three different WalMart locations over the weekend and was surprised to find three very different prices for the Indy set.

A location in the city was only charging $38.

A near suburban location was charging $44.

A far suburban location was charging $47.

I was completely unaware of the phenomena and had been making all my purchases at the second location.

Now I'm thinking I should check the 1st location for Nemo and other future releases, unless this was a one time thing...

2. Patrick Lyons

Patrick Lyons
    Walmart began this aggravating practice about a year ago in the Denver metro area. Add this in with competitor price matching and you have a fine mess.

-Patrick

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Mentioned often in the Coupons & Bargains thread, but worth repeating...Wal-Mart has no national/standard prices. All prices, in every store, are set according to local market competition. In highly competitive areas, they will be lower. In areas where Wal-Mart may be the only nearby big-box store, they will be higher. This means that, like above, even 2-3 stores in relatively close proximity will have varying prices depending on what, if any, competitors are located next door.

They did not become the world's largest retailer by giving stuff away. Yes, they usually have the lowest prices in a competitive market, but if there's little competition they will raise their prices accordingly.

At my local W-M, which is the only discount store within a 35-mile radius, the prices are quite high (new release DVD's are routinely $19.88). If I drive to the next W-M up the interstate which competes with nearby Best Buy, Circuit City, and Kmart, the prices are noticeably lower across the board (with new release DVD's usually $14.78).

4. Nick T Robot

Nick T Robot Supporting Actor

I know someone who worked at Target and they do this there as well. Sometimes Target would have fliers advertising Sale prices on items that were higher than the normal price at a particular store, but less then an "average" price for a region.

This wasn't just for DVDs but the store in general.

They are building a Wal-Mart less than a mile from my Local Target (in the place where a K-Mart used to be) I wonder if this will affect prices (Target used to have some great prices on DVDs, but Best Buy's been getting all my buisness lately)

5. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Either that store is not following corporate policy, or the prices in that area are inflated in all stores allowing for the higher price points.

7. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

The local Wal-Mart is charging $46.82 for the sets - full screen sets all over the place, only a couple of widescreen sets in stock. And this was a good five days before the 21st. I'll just leave it at that.

8. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

9. Jimmy M

Jimmy M Second Unit

But can you go to one WalMart and have them price match another WalMart?

Jimmy!

10. Clay-F

Clay-F Stunt Coordinator

My local Eckerds had it for 34.99.....

I saw it after I already dropped 44.99 on it at walmart.

Yet after viewing them I dont care. [​IMG]

11. Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han Supporting Actor

I wasn't really interested in buying the set until
    I was wandering through my local Wal-Mart (in Exton, PA)
    and they were selling it for $34.87! Well the set
    magically sprouted legs and jumped into my cart. [​IMG]

12. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

13. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Yep, I bought my set at a local walmart for $35.98. But I've seen another walmart in town have it at $44.